New Pennzoil full synthetic "Black Label"

Hi there, great catch for seeing our new product! We at Pennzoil are driven by a passion for innovation and an ambition to make the most technologically advanced, highest performing motor oils on the market. As such, we are excited to introduce Pennzoil® Full Synthetic motor oil as a new full synthetic motor oil to our portfolio.

Pennzoil Full Synthetic motor oil is for motorists making the transition from conventional or synthetic-blend motor oil to a full synthetic motor oil, or if they are considering using a branded full synthetic product.

As modern engines requiring full synthetic motor oil are quickly becoming the norm, Pennzoil has adapted its product portfolio to keep up with the increasing demand. Beginning in December 2020, Pennzoil® Full Synthetic motor oil will be available in 1-quart bottles and 5-gallon jugs.

Our full line of quality products include Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic motor oil, Pennzoil Platinum® Full Synthetic motor oil, Pennzoil Platinum® Euro Full Synthetic motor oil, Pennzoil Platinum® High Mileage Full Synthetic motor oil, Pennzoil Top Off Oil™ Full Synthetic motor oil, Pennzoil Gold™ motor oil, Pennzoil® High Mileage motor oil and now Pennzoil® Full Synthetic Motor Oil. For additional information on Pennzoil motor oils, please visit: https://www.pennzoil.com.

Hi there, great catch for seeing our new product! We at Pennzoil are driven by a passion for innovation and an ambition to make the most technologically advanced, highest performing motor oils on the market. As such, we are excited to introduce Pennzoil® Full Synthetic motor oil as a new full synthetic motor oil to our portfolio.

Pennzoil Full Synthetic motor oil is for motorists making the transition from conventional or synthetic-blend motor oil to a full synthetic motor oil, or if they are considering using a branded full synthetic product.

As modern engines requiring full synthetic motor oil are quickly becoming the norm, Pennzoil has adapted its product portfolio to keep up with the increasing demand. Beginning in December 2020, Pennzoil® Full Synthetic motor oil will be available in 1-quart bottles and 5-gallon jugs.

Our full line of quality products include Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic motor oil, Pennzoil Platinum® Full Synthetic motor oil, Pennzoil Platinum® Euro Full Synthetic motor oil, Pennzoil Platinum® High Mileage Full Synthetic motor oil, Pennzoil Top Off Oil™ Full Synthetic motor oil, Pennzoil Gold™ motor oil, Pennzoil® High Mileage motor oil and now Pennzoil® Full Synthetic Motor Oil. For additional information on Pennzoil motor oils, please visit: https://www.pennzoil.com.

Wait a minute.....Top Off Oil? What is this? What's next, Pennzoil Driveway Drip? Lol! Seriously, I've got to see this top-off oil. Maybe a new name for PYB?

Edit...I searched for Top-Off Oil. No dice. Please fill us in on what this is and why it exists. Just curious. (And for the smart a$$es out there, yes, I know it is for topping off. But why? Most of us Bitogers have got various oil bottles around my garage in various weights, from 1/4 to 3/4 quarts full just waiting around to top off our vehicles.)

And thanks for giving us some info on the new PBL.

Last edited:
Thanks, Gena, for the reply.

And apologies for initially misspelling your name.........

if SOPUS just ditched all the old brand names and just made their own version of the global helix line that’d be great

Because only a tiny fraction of oil buyers are Bitogers. Or think like them.

Ok, so why wouldn't they do what people have doing since they left the caves and just go buy a quart of whatever they see on the shelf? I just don't see non-bitogers being picky enough to buy "Top Off Oil." Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

If I were shopping for a top-off oil, nothing says top-off like "Supertech." In fact, I'd bet in some languages, such as Klingon, Supertech means "Top-Off."

There is that matter of the $2.9 billion it cost to acquire Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Wolf's Head.
if SOPUS just ditched all the old brand names and just made their own version of the global helix line that’d be great

Ok, so why wouldn't they do what people have doing since they left the caves and just go buy a quart of whatever they see on the shelf? I just don't see non-bitogers being picky enough to buy "Top Off Oil." Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

If I were shopping for a top-off oil, nothing says top-off like "Supertech." In fact, I'd bet in some languages, such as Klingon, Supertech means "Top-Off."
I guess the market researchers determined there was a chance of success with its introduction. Clearly it's aimed at the anti-Bitoger.

And the difference between pennzoil platinum and pennzoil full synthetic is.... ? Is it missing word “Platinum”, what else?

Last edited:
Oh I always discuss this with every oil change to be sure I'm getting exactly what I pay for. They offer 2 brands of (full) synthetic, Mobil 1 and Havoline and I tell them the Havoline is totally fine as I can't justify the Mobil 1 $ difference for relatively short intervals. They've never tried to upsell me on that as I let them know exactly what I expect every visit there. After each service I also check the paperwork to be sure they used what I request.

FWIW I also tell them when the last time I changed the engine air filter/cabin filter was, not to bother with tire psi as I check them at least 2x monthly, etc. They have records of everything I've had done there so there simply is no possible upsell (or ripping me) as I'm surely much more involved with my ride other than just driving it like 95% of the population seems to be.

And there will also be a FCA-specific version for dealer service fill.
Here are the tank labels. The 5w20 had two different but both claim SP level

calling them Professional MS

Attachments

• F8F98AFA-4D6F-49FD-AC2D-02795F02E968.jpeg
    F8F98AFA-4D6F-49FD-AC2D-02795F02E968.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 44
  • CBAB3010-9B85-4F1F-8A84-D829EEEE30BD.jpeg
    CBAB3010-9B85-4F1F-8A84-D829EEEE30BD.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 03DE812D-4630-4A5E-A7EE-92ED8AE7BC23.jpeg
    03DE812D-4630-4A5E-A7EE-92ED8AE7BC23.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 44
I guess they just repackaged all of their crazy offerings from last year. That’s one way to move leftover stock.

I guess they just repackaged all of their crazy offerings from last year. That’s one way to move leftover stock.

Honestly, I didn't see much difference in all their Platinum offerings. They appeared to be so minimal as to be silly. ESS, Maximum Power, etc. Honestly, the mainstream PP is about as good as anything on the market for any of those applications.

I'm no marketing guru, but I think the internet age has put everyone into this precision marketing mindset and it has backfired by causing confusion. If I did marketing at Pennzoil, I'd simplify and have 3 lines, conventional, Platinum, and Ultra Platinum. I'd market them as the very best in their respective categories. I'd label the conventional as Gold, and price it just above the generic brands. I'd keep Platinum and advertise it as the best mass market synthetic out there, and run a campaign that targets it to each specific market, rather than a separate oil. Use that precision internet marketing approach to show each group how this one oil meets their specific needs as well or better than any other. (Which it probably does, so no BS.) Then I'd offer Ultra Platinum as a boutique oil suited for high performance engines for those who run them at the extremes. Again, the advertising would be very targeted, for premium sports car enthusiasts, pony cars, and high performance trucks such as halo vehicles, like Vettes, ZL-1 Camaros, Hellcats, Shelbys, Jeep 392's, Trackhawks, Raptors, TRX, and even Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Jags, Mercedes, and such. The GTL technology would be the primary highlighted feature in the mainstream weights, in both Platinum and Ultra Platinum.

Simple. In fact, I'd launch the ad campaign with the slogan: "Pennzoil. No BS. Just the best."

Then, I'd secretly continue to pour Mobil 1 into the engines of my own cars. Unless, of course, Pennzoil gives me free Ultra Platinum. 😂

Last edited:
Here are the tank labels. The 5w20 had two different but both claim SP level

calling them Professional MS
Thanks, Matt.
The blue label is meant for stationary bulk tanks, with large numbers for quick ID. Those come from SOPUS as you see it.
The yellow labels are intended for transportable containers. Drums, totes, etc, but work for stationary tanks. You can see a tank size and batch code printed on the label. That probably should be blacked out, but a situation in which that would matter is unlikely to happen. The yellow labels can be printed as needed at the local distribution facility.

I left one thing out of my Pennzoil marketing plan. The voices of the ads. Just imagine the voice of Sam Elliott or Morgan Freeman saying, "Pennzoil. No BS. Just the best."

Lol!

I left one thing out of my Pennzoil marketing plan. The voices of the ads. Just imagine the voice of Sam Elliott or Morgan Freeman saying, "Pennzoil. No BS. Just the best."

Lol!
Let’s all congratulate the new Director of Marketing at SOPUS! 👏

Back