New Pennzoil full synthetic "Black Label"

Just got back from the local AZ. Saw the black label on the shelf. It is about $4/5 cheaper than the PP. Must be like Mobil Super is to M1. Nothing was on clearance. Looks like the AZ 2020 oil rodeo is over.
Yeah..no clearance. Rang up full price at the counter. The staff must have placed those new bottles in the old cleared PYB spots. The manager's like "this ain't cheap stuff no way we are selling it for $2". Well, I guess I will eventually see it go for $2 sooner or later...
IMG_4124.jpg

Pennzoil is selling:

Full Synthetic
Pennzoil Platinum
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

All targeted to a certain market / price point. Which will all overlap somewhere.
Not that confusing to the average consumer..../s
Pennzoil just can't seem to get it right. All they have to do is sell they're PUP at Walmart and merge YB with PP. Done.

BITOG calling Gina............

Come in, Gina...........

Please respond.............!

That's because 5W-20 is a Ford 'oil-grade' and Dexos is a GM certification -
5W-20 is not Mfg recommended by GM for any of their vehicles....so getting the certification would be kind of moot.
According to Pennzoil's website, the 0W-20 is not dexos either. However, every single spec and approval on the 5W-30, 5W-20 and the 0W-20 PDS sheets are exactly the same; pour point, flash point, viscosities, etc. Maybe they just copied and pasted or maybe they just don't care. I'll still try it though.

Last edited:
I also wondered if it’s rebottled QS too. I wonder if it’s similar to Shell Full Synthetic, which btw is on sale at Walmart.com for a nice price. In terms of business it makes sense to offer this oil. No sense in paying GM the Dexos royalties if only a fraction of the engines in use require that spec.

Maybe Shell will come up with a new commercial and a jingle?

“Hey Mabel, Black Label!”

Some old timers here might recognize that one. Sorry Pennzoil, you can’t use it.
Carling Black Label! Advertised heavily in Cleveland in the 1950s.....especially on baseball games on the radio I remember.

It says right on the label, 40% better performance? Wow, well worth the $2.

That black label is for the Lincoln 'Black Label' models.

As soon as SOPUS sells Pennzoil and QS to Chevron, I’d be buying again.
Until then, Mobil, Valvoline, Havoline, Redline,...yawn!

It’s got to be American!

What exactly was “Pennzane”??
It was a synthetic lube developed for satellites. It wouldn't solidify even in the exterme cold of space. I remember being told it was incredibly expensive. I imagine it's use in motor oil was minimal, like a couple drops in a 25,000 gallon batch. Likely used only for marketing purposes.
Shell stopped using it after the merger. They may have spun it off like other Pennzoil assets.

Back