New Oil or Old Oil on Filter Gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm asking this question out of curiousity. Normally when I change the oil in my vehicles I drain the oil and let it drip as long as possile before reinstalling the drain plug. While letting the oil drip, I normally look around under the vehicle doing an "inspection" to see if everything appears normal. Then I loosen the filter and let it drain until I can take it all the way off. Once off and I'm still on the ground I install the new filter with a film of the old oil on the filter gasket. I've always done this and have never had a problem. I don't like getting up and down off the ground if I don't have too, so I do everything I can under the vehicle at this time. Normally I buy a 5+ jug of oil and have it on the workbench until ready to dump. Give me your protocal.

Last edited:
It makes absolutely no difference. The one thing you should NOT do is use grease instead of engine oil as there are some types of grease which are not compatible with the rubber gaskets used in oil filters.

I'd use new oil for the gasket.. but that's just me.. and I'm sure your method works just as well!

What I would change/try is leaving the drain plug out while taking off the filter... Might need an extra drain pan or something.. but I always have quite a bit of extra oil coming out of the drain hole when I remove the filter... pressure change? magic? I dunno!

I do the oil filter first, since all of the vehicles I work on have the filter and drain plug too far apart to do at once. I unscrew it, let it drain for a bit first, then remove it. Then I install the new filter dry. I clean up the mess around the filter then move on to the plug. Remove it and inspect the plug and gasket to see if it needs replacement from my stock of spares. I then go over the suspension and undercarriage to make sure nothing is out of whack. After it slows to a drip I reinstall the drain plug, finger tight, then put my torque wrench on it and tighten to OE specifications.
I try to avoid the 5 quart containers unless the vehicle take at least 5 quarts, otherwise I buy quarts.

Yes, I do let the filter drain before I put the plug back in. Sorry for the confusion. Once all the oil has drained from the filter being loose, then I plug the drain hole.

I use new oil. I pre-fill my filters (a whole 'nother can of worms on this board
crazy2.gif
) and when I'm done pre-filling them, I dip my finger in the filter and wipe oil on the gasket.

I don't actually wash them with soap. I make sure there is no dirt or grime on them before doing it. My hands always stay pretty clean when changing oil. I use Mechanix gloves when doing the dirty work, mostly so I don't burn my hands.

Originally Posted By: oilcoholic
I install the new filter with a film of the old oil on the filter gasket.

That's what I do.

Quote:
I've always done this and have never had a problem.

Same here, so why is it better to use OLD OIL versus NEW OIL, my theory is that the old oil has gone through many heat and cool cycles, whereas the new oil on the filter gasket has not, since doing this my oil filters come off very easy.

I'm with Colt45; filter first. Fill nearly full and oil with new oil(usually, but not always).
Drain filter into catch pan and put away. Then the oil pan itself.
Worked fine for many years.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I use new oil. I pre-fill my filters (a whole 'nother can of worms on this board
crazy2.gif
) and when I'm done pre-filling them, I dip my finger in the filter and wipe oil on the gasket.

thats what I do too

Originally Posted By: bradepb
Originally Posted By: exranger06
crazy2.gif

thats what I do too

+1

Since the old oil drips out of my horizontally mounted filter mount after the filter comes off, part of the flange already has a nice goober of oil on it. Since the new filter gets 3/4 of a turn after the gasket seats I figure the new gasket gets oiled by default anyway.

If I'm for some reason anal about lubing the gasket, I rip a cardboard tab off the filter box and use it like a putty knife to spread a drop of oil around the gasket. Keeps my fingers un oiled for the next step, torquing the filter without a wrench.

I pour some oil from the new oil jug onto the filter gasket area and wipe some on the threads inside the filter and then around the gasket.

I use old oil, because it is more convenient and it doesn't make much of a difference, the old oil can probably run another OCI anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back