New mower 2.5 acres

That calculator says I can mow my 5 ac in 1hr 6min with an 80 in cut but in reality it takes me just over 3 hrs. If my lawn was a golf course with no obstructions and perfectly flat, maybe. I think they just calculate linear feet at your cut width with no overlap and going a constant speed. Not real world for most peoples lawns.
“Accounts for some overlap and assumes a flat lawn with no obstacles”

It says it should take me 55 minutes assuming I average 5mph (yard isn’t very smooth and some jagoff *me* put big ruts doing donuts in the backyard), in reality it’s 1.25-1.5 hours.

I hope this ordeal is over with. After 400 in it I had to replace the governor rod and spring to get rid of surging. Ordered from John Deere and I had to order spring and rod separate anyway the spring is on rod. I went to put spring on rod and I noticed it was dragging as rod seemed larger in diameter so I installed spring separate from rod. No more surging and idle is perfect. Worked it hard today pulling wagon full of lumber from handicap ramp I am replacing so I need it right. Now I have a new head, cam, muffler, governor linkage and lifters so I should be good for another 200 hours on engine anyway. According to John Deere they won't put any money in the Briggs motor just replace engine. New engine is 800.

There has been much discussion on BITOG about what oil to use with flat tappet cams. Myself uses diesel oil mostly Shell 5/40 t6 which has zinc. If the engine wasn`t thoroughly cleaned after cam destruction there may be future problems.

Back