New mower. Have dumb questions

Turns out this mower is on sale at home Depot for $799 for memorial day. I having paid my full price just Wednesday texted them and asked to have a price adjustment and they did it. I was pretty happy about that.

WOW - $800

I bought a Honda HRR22169VKA self propelled mower at HD in 2014 for $379 - almost exactly 10 years ago at a Memorial day sale - at the time I thought that was a lot for a mower but I wanted a Honda.

That is ~~7.74% inflation - compounded.

WOW - $800

I bought a Honda HRR22169VKA self propelled mower at HD in 2014 for $379 - almost exactly 10 years ago at a Memorial day sale - at the time I thought that was a lot for a mower but I wanted a Honda.

That is ~~7.74% inflation - compounded.
I think my HRX in 2011 was $700ish.

I want to look at the parts diagrams and see if it's possible to add electric start. I don't need it but I like gadgets

I see my error -

I didn't realize the HRX was such an upgrade over the HRR.
Yeah I think the hydro and blade clutch and maybe something else, Nexite deck were the differences. Ultimately, the end result is the same…mowed grass. I’m curious what my HRX would bring on FB or Craigslist.

And if the hourmeter wasn't enough I got the deck edge guards installed today.

20240526_172511.jpg

Love the hour meter but probably overkill for anyone else but a BITOG person!
Hour meter is smart, I have a decent amount of equipment that is maintained yearly due to not having an hour meter, most of it is pretty old. In hindsight, hour meters would be helpful for maintenance, instead I just use a spreadsheet for records.

I'm jealous of your machine here. After my old Honda started burning oil like crazy, I went on the hunt for a new one. Living in California, and coming up against the gas lawn equipment ban at the end of last year, pickings were slim. My dream was the Honda commercial jobby, but between Honda stopping production, and the camshaft recall, the market was bare.

I wound up paying big bucks for a Toro commercial w/Kawasaki engine. Wanted the blade brake clutch model, but nobody with one would ship to California. This machine is an absolute beast. Way more work to use than my old Honda.

A mower like yours here would have been fine for my use. It may not be commercial quality, but it's more than enough for most homeowners use, including mine.

I'm jealous of your machine here. After my old Honda started burning oil like crazy, I went on the hunt for a new one. Living in California, and coming up against the gas lawn equipment ban at the end of last year, pickings were slim. My dream was the Honda commercial jobby, but between Honda stopping production, and the camshaft recall, the market was bare.

I wound up paying big bucks for a Toro commercial w/Kawasaki engine. Wanted the blade brake clutch model, but nobody with one would ship to California. This machine is an absolute beast. Way more work to use than my old Honda.

A mower like yours here would have been fine for my use. It may not be commercial quality, but it's more than enough for most homeowners use, including mine.
I would take a road trip.

Indeed. Most of my small engines have an hour meter now and I'm starting to install them on my electric air compressors too.
Do these hour meters have a battery?

How long does it last and is the hour reset to zero when the battery is changed or goes dead?

I use these. I installed these on the trimmers last year. They do take a battery but I haven't had to replace them yet. I don't think the time will reset. Hope not at least.

Do these hour meters have a battery?

How long does it last and is the hour reset to zero when the battery is changed or goes dead?
The cheap ones take batteries and the nice ones have batteries that are supposed to last a decade or so.
The battery going dead does not appear to reset the hours.

Back