New Monroe Sensa-Trac Struts Bad out of the box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading this forum a lot about oil and people seem pretty knowledgeable.
I don't know if there's a forum like this on struts so I decided to register and try my luck here.
I ordered two struts for my car, chrysler cirrus 2000, 2.4l.
Last Friday I went to see a mechanic to install them and he told me one of them was bad. Here's the video link (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-EYi-UEaGzcY1ZoT1JqMWxhNGc/edit?usp=sharing) Basically one strut takes 3 seconds to expand and the other one 20-30 seconds. Is that normal? Unfortunately he already took apart one of the old strut assemblies. So we did one side but not the other. During the weekend I called RockAuto and they were amazing at sending me the new strut right away, I was impressed.
So I got the new strut today, and I wanted to replace the remaining old strut on my car, but unfortunately it seems to be bad also.
First of all, it came with the piston rod extended, instead of being screwed in. I tried screwing it in but it doesn't want to screw, nothing happens. Does this mean the strut is bad?
When I compress it by hand, it also takes a long time to extend, 10 seconds to be exact.
I called RockAuto again and they told me to that since 2011 they sold 89 struts of this model and I'm the only one who asked for a replacement.
What should I do at this point?

I also asked Mornoe Technical Support and I'm quite confused by their answer:
"Oleg,

Thank you for contacting Tenneco Automotive. As long as the unit fully extends in under 2 minutes the shock is not defective."

Even my old strut that I replaced would extend in under 2 minutes, and I know for a fact that the old struts are finished, they've never been replaced. Even after changing only one of the struts I noticed a big difference in driving the car.

Last edited:
Expansion time is only one quantifier for struts. Interesting that they list a spec.

I'd stick it on the car and see how it actually feels in day to day use. Bet it's fine.

Maybe they need to be cycled a few times after storage?
Monroe and Gabriel arent known for quality.
Its a shame,as the shock absorber was first developed in the US...we seemingly are now more interested in profits and high volume sales than satisfaction and durability.They dont realize,if we get burnt over and over again...we wont buy ever again (their brand anyway).

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Maybe they need to be cycled a few times after storage?
Monroe and Gabriel arent known for quality.
Its a shame,as the shock absorber was first developed in the US...we seemingly are now more interested in profits and high volume sales than satisfaction and durability.They dont realize,if we get burnt over and over again...we wont buy ever again (their brand anyway).

Do we represent the market? Or do most people simply buy shocks and look only at the price...in which case, those companies are simply responding to consumer demand...

For the record, I've got Bilsteins, Old Man Emu, Sachs and Mercedes OE on my vehicles...

NHGUY
Astro14

I didn't want to cheap out, I bought what I found the most expensive on RockAuto. Except Sensa-Trac there were only two other options for front struts: KYB and SACHS. They were a few dollars less expensive. I did a few google searches and Sensa-Tracs had good reviews.
I got burned multiple times with cheap chinese junk and I try not to buy chinese ever again but it's so hard because the market is flooded with cheap chinese parts. Even mechanics sell chinese so I buy all the parts myself. For example for suspension I know that moog problem solver is pretty solid so that's what I buy (and it says made in usa on the part). But the choice for my car in terms of front struts is not that great.
And by the way, the struts I'm talking about, they go for 130$ EACH at canadian tire, so 150$ after taxes...(http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/monroe-sensa-trac-strut-front-0221526p.0224648.html) I think the price is not cheap, this is ONLY for the strut, no spring, no mounting kit etc...

big_guy

Thanks, I could try doing that, there are 80 retailers in Montreal, but first I need to find out if the strut is indeed faulty. Even RA will probably send me another one, but they asked me to check with my mechanic first. But I'm not sure I trust him...And I don't want to make RA send me a second replacement until I'm absolutely sure that the first strut as well as the replacement is bad. After all, they're pretty honest and helpful and I don't want to abuse that. They offer good prices and good service and if the strut I have right now is actually good then I don't want them to waste their money for nothing.
Hopefully someone who has extensive knowledge about struts will stumble upon this thread
smile.gif

I asked them a follow-up question:
"Even my old strut that I replaced would extend in under 2 minutes, and I know for a fact that the old struts are finished, they've never been replaced. Even after changing only one of the struts I noticed a big difference in driving the car.
Could you please elaborate on your answer? The last thing I'd want to do is to put a bad strut in my car. Why is that one strut takes 10 times longer to extend than another identical one?"
And got an answer:
"Oleg,

Thank you for contacting Tenneco Automotive. The struts fully extending in under 2 minutes shows that there is a good nitrogen gas charge to the units. The only purpose for gas charging struts is to prevent the shock from aerating or getting to hot. It does not affect how the strut dampens. Therefore your old units still have a good gas charging. However the internal valving in your old units is worn out, that is why you feel a change in dampening since the new unit was installed. I hope this helps!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back