New Mobil 1 Truck & SUV Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by NH73
Answers are below. I have looked at Mobils spec sheet.
Originally Posted by Hogwash
Hey folk. I was poking around the net looking at this M1 T and S oil. Figured I better skip all the advertising BS and come straight here. Came across this thread in searching.

So it's quite obvious that most of you feel this is more marketing than substance. I understand that. But I would love a layman's explanation on this subject. I think these questions have been answered in previous posts. But frankly, I'm just not versed enough in the lingo and numbers to put it all together.

So compared to M1 5w-30, is M1 5w-30 T and S...

Thicker at operating temps? It is slightly thicker. 11 cSt vs. 11.5 cSt. But M1 AP is 11.7 cSt.

Flow better or worse at startup? No data there. Doubt its much different.

Is it on the thicker side of the 5w-30 range? No

Thanks

Thanks so much.

I've been told that M1 HM is on the heavier side of it's advertised range. I use it without hesitation on my daughter's '10 Yaris with 136k on the clock. But with only 63k miles, my Tacoma may not need the seal and gasket conditioners.

Seems the concensus around here is that 0w-40 is overkill for most vehicles spec'd for 5w-30. Thought maybe a 5/30 formula that was closer to a 5w-40 initially and thinning out to more of a 5w-30 might have some benefit in the long run.

Please correct any flawed thoughts on my part

Toyota recommends ILSAC GF-5 for motor oil. I see that M1HM doesn't have that, neither would 0w40 or 5w30 Formula. I would just stick to what your doing if your not losing any oil. Are you pulling/hauling heavy and/or in the hot south?

Toyota recommends ILSAC GF-5 for motor oil. I see that M1HM doesn't have that, neither would 0w40 or 5w30 Formula. I would just stick to what your doing if your not losing any oil. Are you pulling/hauling heavy and/or in the hot south?

I've noticed no ill effects using M1 5/30 HM in our old Yaris over the last 10k miles. No leaks or oil usage.

I'm having zero issues with my 4.0 Taco. 63k miles and runs flawlessly with no oil loss. It's had M1 5/30 every 5k since new. I'm under factory warranty until 125k. The old 1GR engine calls for 5k OCs. So to keep the warranty police happy I'm sticking to the 5k OC until then.

Just thought the Truck and SUV formula might be on the more robust end of the 5/30 spectrum.

BTW, 2/3 highway and 1/3 city driving. No towing. But I do use it as a truck from time to time. I live in Central Ky. Summer temps are mid 80s to 100° typically.

Did I read somewhere (maybe this thread) that the EP flavor was a bit heavier than the average 5/30?

Last edited:

I've noticed no ill effects using M1 5/30 HM in our old Yaris over the last 10k miles. No leaks or oil usage.

I'm having zero issues with my 4.0 Taco. 63k miles and runs flawlessly with no oil loss. It's had M1 5/30 every 5k since new. I'm under factory warranty until 125k. The old 1GR engine calls for 5k OCs. So to keep the warranty police happy I'm sticking to the 5k OC until then.

Just thought the Truck and SUV formula might be on the more robust end of the 5/30 spectrum.

BTW, 2/3 highway and 1/3 city driving. No towing. But I do use it as a truck from time to time. I live in Central Ky. Summer temps are mid 80s to 100° typically.

Did I read somewhere (maybe this thread) that the EP flavor was a bit heavier than the average 5/30?

If under warrenty, stick to ILSAC GF-5 as well. AP is slightly heavier than T&S. But EP is not. However, I just looked EP High Mileage is 11.8 which would heavier yet. EP High Mileage also has the ILSAC GF-5 approval. So that would be an option.

If under warrenty, stick to ILSAC GF-5 as well. AP is slightly heavier than T&S. But EP is not. However, I just looked EP High Mileage is 11.8 which would heavier yet. EP High Mileage also has the ILSAC GF-5 approval. So that would be an option.

So it sounds like T&S, AP and EP HM are all a bit heavier than M1...even though they all fall in the same 5/30 category.....if I'm understanding you correctly.

I can't justify the cost of the AP every 5k. And what are your thoughts on EP HM in a vehicle with only 63k? No leaks, burn off or oil loss in any way.

I can't justify the cost of the AP every 5k. And what are your thoughts on EP HM in a vehicle with only 63k? No leaks, burn off or oil loss in any way.

No problem.

No problem.

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it

BTW, where are you getting the viscosity numbers? I poked around a bit, but didn't see anything.

No problem.

BTW, where are you getting the viscosity numbers? I poked around a bit, but didn't see anything.

Most likely off of the Mobil1 web site, like this for the 0/40
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-fs

Originally Posted by rrounds

No problem.

Most likely off of the Mobil1 web site, like this for the 0/40
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-fs
Correct.

Again....thank you for your help. Love this site.

I've been an M1 guy for years, with the occasional dabble with SuperTech here and there. Looks like M1 T&S formula may only be a couple of bucks more per jug. At 3 OCs a year...that's less than $10 a year. A slightly heavier 5/30 might have a tiny benefit over the years. And the 10% additive pack, all be it small, surely can't hurt anything. So if I continue to use M1, it's easy to justify.

Let the flaming begin.

BITOG --->
06.gif
<--- Me

Last edited:
Per MSDS these oils are 30-40% PAO. Just saw the latest MSDS.

Good read. Just saw the Mobil 1 T&S today in an O'Reillys for the 1st time. I had stocked up a year or so ago w/ 'normal' M1. Came here to see what was up.

Looks like the specs are OK, now w/ theDexos certification.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by D1dad
Just loaded up on this at TSC. To bad I can't use the suv oil in my car though.

it might start growing a Honda deflector
48.gif

It's like the word "Tactical". Paint something black, out the word "Tactical" on the packaging and people will buy it.... Maybe "Tactical" oil is next.... ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back