New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tire rack lists A/S-3 for my Accord (235/45 r18) for $202 each. They will be something I will be looking at. The OE tire pilot HX MXM4 are listed at $236.

Caught a nail with the edge of one of the Hankooks. Full-size spare is on. A set of these Michelin tires is on the way. I was hoping to Push the Hankooks (4/32) until mid-late July, but what can you do?
I was told they would ship the 25th from Texas. It'll be tight since Im leaving town the 4th, but I think I can make it work.
Cost me a pretty penny too. The card I used burst into flame shortly after I ended the call.

OOF. would love a set of these but currently 245$ each.

I paid ~~$80 for my kumho 4x in a close size.

Originally Posted By: Rand
OOF. would love a set of these but currently 245$ each.

I paid ~~$80 for my kumho 4x in a close size.

I have Kumho 4X on my S2000 and E430 for approximately $60-80 each after multiple rebates. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is very good tire but I don't think it worth 3-4 times the Kumho 4X.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Caught a nail with the edge of one of the Hankooks. Full-size spare is on. A set of these Michelin tires is on the way. I was hoping to Push the Hankooks (4/32) until mid-late July, but what can you do?
I was told they would ship the 25th from Texas. It'll be tight since Im leaving town the 4th, but I think I can make it work.
Cost me a pretty penny too. The card I used burst into flame shortly after I ended the call.

I had the same Hankook Ventus V12's you did in 275/35/20. They were nice when new and lost EVERYTHING very quickly. Near the end they were noisy, hard, and had no stick.

I now have Michelin PSS same size. Pretty much double the price. WAAAAYYY more than double the tire in every way. If they hold up as Michelins usually do they won't lose much to normal wear and I'll be happier than the extra money cost me!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

I had the same Hankook Ventus V12's you did in 275/35/20. They were nice when new and lost EVERYTHING very quickly. Near the end they were noisy, hard, and had no stick.

I now have Michelin PSS same size. Pretty much double the price. WAAAAYYY more than double the tire in every way. If they hold up as Michelins usually do they won't lose much to normal wear and I'll be happier than the extra money cost me!

Yes, I did notice the loss the Hankooks went through. I dont think I quite need PSS levels of traction. I dont have the amount of car you do. So, I went with these as I wont have to switch to winter tires quite so early and switch back so late. I think these will do awesome.

Wow, and so many people just blindly equate third world garbage tires to quality stuff.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Wow, and so many people just blindly equate third world garbage tires to quality stuff.

Which tires were those?

hankook arent third world these were oem tires... which are spec'ed by the car manufacturer.

Last edited:
...and apparently they were lousy. OEM or not (Ive had good OEM tires, and have read lots of complaints about lousy ones), these sure strike me as a lousy set.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
...and apparently they were lousy. OEM or not (Ive had good OEM tires, and have read lots of complaints about lousy ones), these sure strike me as a lousy set.

These tires are typical of my experiences when I buy cheaper brands. Many of them start off strong, performing well and even impressing me, but as soon as they get some wear/miles on them they degrade SUPER rapidly and I am left to realize that there are no bargains.

Note that I buy at least 3-5 sets of tires every year. The above tires were my fifth set on this car IIRC!

michas3_1.jpg

michas3_2.jpg

michas3_3.jpg

This would also be the fifth set on this car, if I count the winter set too. :p This is my third summer wheels set.
I went to get them installed yesterday morning at WM and what do you know but none of their techs wanted to work so they couldnt open until 10AM. That was too late for me. Thats sleep time. I tried to convince them to just look the other way for about 45 minutes and I would put them on myself, but they wouldn't go for that. I dont know why.
So Im gonna try again today.

Last edited:
Yeah, I noticed that. I dont quite know how tire manufacturing works. Especially with lower-throughput tires like these. Im gonna guess they probably do a 'run' of a size and switch to a different size the next week or whatever. Unless they run mixed sizes down the same line? Regardless, its probably from buffer they built-up in preparation for release.

Last edited:
WOW, these are up to a 500 treadwear rating now (or were the old Pilot Sport all seasons the same?).
21.gif

They are probably plenty sticky regardless.
wink.gif

They look great, and should serve you very well on the "Tank"

Im hoping so. Since they are not directional I should finally be able to get a real rotation pattern going. They have a 45k mile treadwear warranty, but I doubt Ill see that, just from the way I drive. If I get 30k out of them that will probably be about double what I got out of the Hankooks.

Mounted a set of these today on a Mercedes in a staggered 225/45R17 and 245/40R17 and they balance nicely; none of the assemblies needed any more than a half-once total to balance out. Overall a a nice tire from an installation standpoint, though I haven't yet driven on them. The asymmetric design is a huge plus in my book.

I recommended a set to my brother for his 2012 Mazda3. They were competitive to other tires price-wise, and his commute is short enough where the car will be used mainly for pleasure driving.

I would love to get a set for either of our cars, but at the 17 inch +0 size the Cruze would need the price is mighty steep. Too bad, it would be a riot.

Originally Posted By: ChrisW
Mounted a set of these today on a Mercedes in a staggered 225/45R17 and 245/40R17 and they balance nicely; none of the assemblies needed any more than a half-once total to balance out. Overall a a nice tire from an installation standpoint, though I haven't yet driven on them. The asymmetric design is a huge plus in my book.

Did you get a chance to drive on the A/S 3 yet?

TIA!

I just got a set of 225/40-18 92Y, for my '06 GTI. Getting them mounted Saturday...really looking forward to driving on these and seeing if they live up to the hype.

Current tires are Conti Contact 3. Great tire but I now drive the car all 4 seasons and they did not work well below freezing let alone in any snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back