Latest Michelin Super Tire... Pilot Sport 4 S

Status
Not open for further replies.
People talk about Michelin like they were designed by God for the Popes Ferrari, but they're overpriced under performers.

If you want more grip for less money you buy Yokohama. If you want to brag about how much to paid for a tyre that isn't optimal - buy Michelin.

So which Yokohama do you suggest to buy instead of PSS?
By the way it must be available in the USA.

Krzys

Let's see, it could be:
205/50R17 for Volvo S40 (no PSS available in this size, I bought Nokian zLine)
215/50R17 for Focus (we were so happy with Nokian price and performance that it has zLines too)
225/45R17 for Subaru Legacy (it has Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 since it is my middle daughter's car, if it were mine I would have bought PSS)

Krzys

Lovely.
Only 75 miles from me!

When I was looking at new tires I was thinking about ADVAN Sport V105 but I was unable to get them.
Now it seems that there is only 1 such tire available at tirerack.com and it is Mercedes OE model.

Michelin is huge company and their tires are usually decent, available in plenty of sizes and available if you want to buy them.

Our family has 3 sets of winter Michelins:
2x Xi3 (S40 and Focus)
1x Xi2 (Legacy)

They may not be designed by God, definitely not fitting for any Ferrari (Pope's or not) and made all over the world (I think Spain, France and Thailand) but they are very good studless winter tires.

I bet Yokohama makes some not so good tires along their excellent track oriented ADVAN AD07/AD08 tires. But these ADVANS cannot be stored below -10C (14F) and that means I would need to keep them in my basement not garage.

Krzys

I'm just glad my independent tire guy likes me. The last Michelin's I bought were no more expensive that any other name brand. I paid about $150 under what all the chain stores quoted! New Premier LTX's for wife's Outback.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
I'm just glad my independent tire guy likes me. The last Michelin's I bought were no more expensive that any other name brand. I paid about $150 under what all the chain stores quoted! New Premier LTX's for wife's Outback.

Excellent! Our local guy will beat any online price i can find. Got me a terrific deal on some PSS's.

It pays to dig a little deeper on the gems in Michelin's lineup. They are not all good, but some really shine...

Originally Posted By: Olas
People talk about Michelin like they were designed by God for the Popes Ferrari, but they're overpriced under performers.

If you want more grip for less money you buy Yokohama. If you want to brag about how much to paid for a tyre that isn't optimal - buy Michelin.

Ooops, seems you over rated those Yokos: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/...comparison-test

Noisy and bad in the wet. Maybe all you want is great dry performance. The PSS was rated number one because of its well rounded performance in all categories, not just one.

"The PSS has the best balance of wet and dry performance we’ve ever experienced in testing. The minute compromises in each discipline make “super” a worthy part of its name."

Last edited:
Seems like only 18+" sizes, fwiw...

many of those benefits might be useful to people with "mere" 16 and 17" wheels on rather capable cars...

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Yeah, the choice of every super car manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Ooops, seems you over rated those Yokos: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/...comparison-test

Noisy and bad in the wet. Maybe all you want is great dry performance. The PSS was rated number one because of its well rounded performance in all categories, not just one.

"The PSS has the best balance of wet and dry performance we’ve ever experienced in testing. The minute compromises in each discipline make “super” a worthy part of its name."

And it is not only that. At 23K, 3/32, they were slicing thru rain like nothing.
I picked up in 23K 4 times nail in one tire since I bought brand new house in new developments, so nails everywhere. It still needed minimual amount of weights to be balanced.

Is there a professional performance study showing Yoko's beating out the PSS? Here are the tire rack surveys by professional drivers and the Yoko's are decent in the high/ultra perf A/S performance but are WAY down the chart vs. PSS in the max summer performance category. The only Yoko I can find near the top of any category/season is in extreme summer performance (all out track racing tire). Michelin doesn't appear to have a tire in this category....possibly because their PSS in the Max Summer category is darn good.

UHP all season

Summer max performance tires

I don't think Michelin has had a competitive tire for autocross in 20 years, even now with the 200 TW rating rule for street tires. But that's autocross where the only thing that really counts is the lowest time in the dry and a semi-reasonable wear rate for local racers.

What most of the mainstream tests show is that Michelin can make a really good UHP tire for a DD driven in the wet. But sure, there are grippier tires available that have more compromises and are cheaper. Depends what you want to do with your car.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Is there a professional performance study showing Yoko's beating out the PSS? Here are the tire rack surveys by professional drivers and the Yoko's are decent in the high/ultra perf A/S performance but are WAY down the chart vs. PSS in the max summer performance category. The only Yoko I can find near the top of any category/season is in extreme summer performance (all out track racing tire). Michelin doesn't appear to have a tire in this category....possibly because their PSS in the Max Summer category is darn good.

UHP all season

Summer max performance tires

This is from 2012, but the tires are still the same.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/...comparison-test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back