Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes not a doctor just a VP of IT so staying home during inclement weather isn't an issue for me. Thanks everyone that responded AS3 it is!

Originally Posted By: supton
If you have to go in "no matter what" would a set of tire cables do the trick instead of the world's greatest winter tires? I mean, for the once or twice that you might actually need them...

I agree I even had a set when I lived in Southern California as I occasionally trekked up to Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead in the Winter.

I currently have these tires. I have had Conti DWS and Toyo Proxes on tires as well. So far I feel the Michelin's are superior. I have not had them in snow yet,so that should be a bit interesting. However, IMO the toyo's were good in wet and dry, but snow was iffy. They seem to were fast even rotating them. The Conti DWS did a better job and was just as good in wet and dry. I think in Wet they were better than the toyo's. With that being said, I agree with the other comments. That these tires ride great, quite and wear well so far. I feel they are the best out of the group of tires I have had. So it is now snowing in Ohio. I must go out and try them out.

Originally Posted By: Tar_Rat29
I currently have these tires. I have had Conti DWS .... So far I feel the Michelin's are superior.

Can you explain a bit more specifically and in detail, why/how exactly are you finding the As/3 superior to the DWS? I am interested as I will be comparing DWS and AS/3 when it's time for tires again.
Thanks IA

Can you explain a bit more specifically and in detail, why/how exactly are you finding the As/3 superior to the DWS? I am interested as I will be comparing DWS and AS/3 when it's time for tires again.
Thanks IA

97tbird

In my opinion, The Mich A/S 3 are much more quiet as well as grip in wet and dry over the Conti DWS. Don't get me wrong. I liked the DWS, however they seem to wear pretty quick and the performance in wet dropped off. I didn't feel comfortable in snow on the DWS after 30,000 miles on them. So I switched over to Mich A/S 3. We recently had some light snow (1-2 inches) in Ohio and the Mich A/S 3 performed well. The Mich do feel a bit softer on the ride as well. The bumps are not as bad especially in the cold weather. All in all I would buy the Mich tire first hands down. However, I would pick the Conti DWS over anything else. Good tire, just the Mich is better in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Tar_Rat29
I didn't feel comfortable in snow on the DWS after 30,000 miles on them.

I'm sure that by the time you got to 30K miles, the "S" part of the tread had worn off, so it's no surprise the snow performance wasn't good anymore. I'm used to quick wearing tires, so 30k is actually not bad. Keep us updated how the AS3 wear.

Just drove the T5 in Vermont, in the snow (and ice) and the DWS with 30K on them (S barely showing) did quite well....not as good as the studded General Altimax Arctic snows on my friend's Volvo XC...but quite well.

If you want a high-performance AS that does well in the snow, the Conti DWS would be my recommendation. If you want the best possible dry grip, then I would lean towards the Michelin AS3...

Update on Mich A/S 3 in snow. So we have had several inches of snow and ice over the past week. The Mich in my opinion are not bad, but could be better. IMO the Cont. DWS are better in snow. The Mich didn't perform as well in 2 inches of snow. Had problems getting up my driveway and turning corners with less than 2 inches of snow. I was disappointed in the lack of traction on the snow and ice this winter compared to the cont DWS.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Just drove the T5 in Vermont, in the snow (and ice) and the DWS with 30K on them (S barely showing) did quite well....not as good as the studded General Altimax Arctic snows on my friend's Volvo XC...but quite well.

If you want a high-performance AS that does well in the snow, the Conti DWS would be my recommendation. If you want the best possible dry grip, then I would lean towards the Michelin AS3...

+1. There are all-season tires and then there are 4-season tires. The AS3 is an extremely high-performance wet/dry tire. The Conti is a 4-season workhorse.

I replaced the oem goodyear LS2s on my 200 with pilot sport A/S3s, the wet performance is way better than the goodyears, the performance in the snow is better than the goodyears as well. I live in Minnesota and we've had snow and ice on the roads for the last week. These tires are exceptional wet weather tires with the ability to drive in the snow. Although there are probably better tires in winter conditions available, I feel I can safely operate my vehicle in winter weather with these tires. These tires are a huge improvement over the oem tires.

Originally Posted By: WANG
I have had the predecessor model, the Pilot Sport A/S Plus for about 20K miles. I'd not think twice about buying the new A/S 3s.

I've never driven them on snow, but surely they'd be better than summers, haha.
We had them on a previous car. They stopped well in snow, but traction and handling was poor. My wife insisted we remove them for the winter but we get a lot more snow and ice than the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back