new member oil recommendation

Your #1 concern needs to be GM approved as stated in the manual so that when the engine croaks you've got all your receipts so they can't refuse your claim based on "wrong oil".

Of course there are choices within that approval and that's where a little science and a lot of opinion come into play.

Personally, on in-warranty vehicles I like to narrow it down to approved oils, then pick the highest HTHS out of the bunch.

After warranty, I'm picking highest HTHS with no regard to approvals.

Your #1 concern needs to be GM approved as stated in the manual so that when the engine croaks you've got all your receipts so they can't refuse your claim based on "wrong oil".

Of course there are choices within that approval and that's where a little science and a lot of opinion come into play.

Personally, on in-warranty vehicles I like to narrow it down to approved oils, then pick the highest HTHS out of the bunch.

After warranty, I'm picking highest HTHS with no regard to approvals.
I'm not contradicting your advice but I'm using 15-20 year old conventional 10w40 in my Nissan that's spec'd for SN rated 5w30. I've been using 10w40 for most of the 46 years since I started driving and see no need to change what isn't broken.

I just did a test of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum up against SuperTech Advanced 5W30. The results were very competitive. Although it was just one test, the SuperTech really held up well and at a better price point then Pennzoil. Both oils did better then any other oil I have tested in the past.

As for oil filters I would stick with the oil filter which is listed in the owners manual which is most likely an ACDelco filter. More warranty claims have been denied because of an aftermarket oil filter. As for the oil, I have never had a dealership ask me for oil change receipts or to prove the oil I was using nor did they do any testing on the oil that was in the engine. However, I do know warranty claims have been denied in the past as a result of an aftermarket oil filter.

When it comes to engine air filter, spark plugs or oil filter always use the ones the manufacturer recommends.

I run just bog standard 0w-20 super tech syn in my 2021 Escalade. But with current prices I'd just buy quaker state full syn. And as for best non boutique oils ultra platinum or m1 ep will suffice.

One thing to note is modern engines are almost all "direct injected" and all of the automakers have had some challenges with these engines. A lot of lessons have been learned over the years. So I would NOT go with a 10k interval like you can on port injected engines. I would stick with a 3000 mile change interval and thats what I do currently. There are solenoids immersed in the oil and for those solenoids to function properly the oil needs to be clean. Direct injected engines are harder on oil then port-injected engines.

Whether on the Suburban or the Navigator with the 440 hp high output turbo Ecoboost my experience was if I changed the oil at 5000 the vehicle felt peppier and livelier after. Now that I change the oil at 3000 I dont feel that much effect. It might be because the oil got dirtier effecting the solenoids.

Another thing you might want to consider is a "catch-can", but I know that might effect the warranty.

Stick with OEM suggested parts except for the oil. The oil should be the only thing that is aftermarket.

As for oil filters I would stick with the oil filter which is listed in the owners manual which is most likely an ACDelco filter. More warranty claims have been denied because of an aftermarket oil filter. As for the oil, I have never had a dealership ask me for oil change receipts or to prove the oil I was using nor did they do any testing on the oil that was in the engine. However, I do know warranty claims have been denied in the past as a result of an aftermarket oil filter.

When it comes to engine air filter, spark plugs or oil filter always use the ones the manufacturer recommends.
Yes. Absolutely stick with specified Delco oil filters while under warranty. Dealerships have a culture of blaming a failure on parts that aren’t specifically their brands’ recommended parts.

I just did a test of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum up against SuperTech Advanced 5W30. The results were very competitive. Although it was just one test, the SuperTech really held up well and at a better price point then Pennzoil. Both oils did better then any other oil I have tested in the past.

This should get interesting. What kind of lab do you have?

my experience was if I changed the oil at 5000 the vehicle felt peppier and livelier after. Now that I change the oil at 3000 I dont feel that much effect. It might be because the oil got dirtier effecting the solenoids.

Thats the ticket!

A manufacturer cannot require you to use their oil filter unless they provide it for free. And they certainly can't deny warranty for using an aftermarket one either. This would violate the Magnuson-Moss act.

of course...but the dealership might still give you the runaround if they find "the easy way out" is declaring your other than OEM item caused the problem...

when I had my 2006 Pontiac GTO I was given just such a runaround from the Pontiac dealership because my oil leak was due to the "wrong oil filter"...it was the right K&N oil filter...out went my just filled Mobil 1 and new K&N and in went the new Mobil 1 and A/C Delco oil filter...when that of course didn't fix the oil leak, the correct leak location was found and corrected...

Bill

708qpx.jpg

of course...but the dealership might still give you the runaround if they find "the easy way out" is declaring your other than OEM item caused the problem...

when I had my 2006 Pontiac GTO I was given just such a runaround from the Pontiac dealership because my oil leak was due to the "wrong oil filter"...it was the right K&N oil filter...out went my just filled Mobil 1 and new K&N and in went the new Mobil 1 and A/C Delco oil filter...when that of course didn't fix the oil leak, the correct leak location was found and corrected...

Bill
Yes, some dealerships are greasy like that, but I've heard stories of them doing stuff like that (blaming road debris...etc) even when they were the one who did the service, lol.

Any major
This fits the Dexos1 Gen 3 manufacture recommendation.

"Viscosity Grade
Use SAE 0W-20 viscosity grade engine oil for
the 5.3L and 6.2L V8 engines."

Currently $26.47/5qts.

View attachment 125018

I personally would go 5k intervals max to try and keep the lifters happy for a long time.
What makes that oil the best choice? Less engine wear? It lasts longer for the 5,000 mile oil change interval?
I am curious.

If it was my new truck, I would use Mobil 1 synthetic 5w20/30 and AC delco oil filters. But any major brand oil will be fine

Any major

What makes that oil the best choice? Less engine wear? It lasts longer for the 5,000 mile oil change interval?
I am curious.
I suggested it fits the Dexos1 Gen 3 manufacture recommendation, not that it is the best choice. Best choice is a personal decision.

Mobil 1 EP fits the warranty requirements, is a well respected oil, is not too expensive and readily available. As for OCI I would not go past 5k on the 6.2 Chevy. I have had lifter issues on two 6.2s which I bought used so I did not have control over the OCI on them prior. I suspect shorter intervals would have helped avoid lifter issues as one of the two had improved with 6oz of Gumout 510011 in the crank case telling me oil passages possibly were compromised. The other lost a lifter entirely. So I personally would not use the oil change monitor to tell me when to change oil in that beautiful 6.2 the OP has.

did the OLM show you could take your 6.2L beyond 5K miles...I'm curious about this as the OLMs in the GM vehicles I take care of get their oil changed following the OLMs and rarely get to 5K miles before indicating single digit percentages of oil life remaining...mostly shorter driving intervals but I am curious about your OLM experience with the 6.2L...mine has been with the GM 2.0L T, 3.0L V6 and 3.6L TT V6...

Back