New Mazda CX-5

Just picked up a '22 CX-5 for my wife with the 2.5L NA Skactiv-G mill. Factory specs Mazda 0W-20 full synthetic and changing up to 10,000 miles under normal conditions.

Do these need an early change after break in?

Any recommendations on oil? I am thinking about running Mazda or Idemitsu full synthetic and changing every 7,500.

Thanks!

PXL_20220212_172931381.jpg

Nice car.
Not a fan of 10k oci on DI engines.. if it was my car with my current driving pattern it would probably get 3 oil changes around 5k per year.

If the oil comes out black and smelling like gas at 5k I wouldnt want that in for another 5k..

if your mileage was around 12k/year 2x6k would make nice even number.

I am in the market for a new car myself.. but more interested in the turbo cx-5, the cx50, or the new RWD platforms coming.

We're coming out of an Edge w/Ecoboost that was on its second engine and looking forward to the simplicity of the N/A plant.
Thats more of a ford problem than a turbo problem... ford even has issues with their NA engines(3.5 I'm looking at you).
yet everyone hammers subaru for their engines.

Besides needing a new ECU my 2.0T hurricane has had no engine work done (not sure if you would call replacing ECU engine work) coming up on 60k fast.

IMO its at least as reliable as the other 2 engine choices.. for the jeep.

Last edited:
location-location!!! your atmospheric temps as well as driving habits effect oil performance choices!!! NO xxw20 unless its VERY cold + NO 10 thou UNLESS its ALL highway. i went 10 thou on my 1.8T BUT it took around 3 months with daily LONG drives!! about a thou weekly!!!!

If you are going to keep it for many years and are going to be doing your own oil changes, then put a ValvoMax oil change valve on it when you do the first oil change that you do yourself.

Run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum that you buy from Walmart online in 5 quart jugs and buy 2 at a time for free shipping. Use a Fram Ultra oil filter that you can also get from Walmart.

When you remove the oil filter turn it a very slight amount to be sure it is not stuck, then use a screwdriver to punch a hole in the filer to drain it, then remover it. That is much cleaner than just removing the filter and having oil fall down anywhere around the filter.

Congrats!

You can review my post history but I did UOAs for the first 6 OCIs on my CX-5. 10k is too long for these engines. I've cut back to 7,500 OCIs.

Short trips in cold weather lead to fuel dilution. In my cx-5, I'm running 0w40 with a 2k oci for winter. 0w30 3k oci for summer.

DI engines fuel dilute, so @Rand's advice on shortening the OCI is sound. I'd have no problem with the spec visc with a reduced interval, though I'd do a UOA after the first few drain/fills just to ensure viscosity isn't getting dangerously low. M1 EP 0w-20 is my current go-to 0w-20 and can typically be obtained on sale.

Owner of a 2014 CX-5 here, I currently run RLI ( Renewable Lubricants Inc) 5w-30 in my 2.5L N/A with a Champ XL filter.

So far so good, the ester based oil has been shown to work very well with DI engines like in Audi/VW applications.

I typically do 7500 mi OCI on all my vehicles.

UOA coming soon

Attachments

• 2020-06-22 11-55-56.JPG
    2020-06-22 11-55-56.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 25
I have run Idemitsu x2, Valvoline Advanced Synthetic, Havoline Pro DS, and Mobil 1AP, all in 0w20. On deck is Valvoline Extended Protection.

These SkyActiv motors are easy on oil. I change mine every 5000 miles/one year.

Use the OEM Roki filters. They are excellent and competitively priced.

I have run Idemitsu x2, Valvoline Advanced Synthetic, Havoline Pro DS, and Mobil 1AP, all in 0w20. On deck is Valvoline Extended Protection.

These SkyActiv motors are easy on oil. I change mine every 5000 miles/one year.

Use the OEM Roki filters. They are excellent a
Where are you purchasing the OEM filters?

Back