New M1 Formulation and Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hundreds? Really?

Even dozens is a stretch for my collective memory. I'm thinking about 5-10 perhaps. Mostly people that have come... and gone from the board.
It was mostly this group

B4C0F851-4B6E-43B7-A67C-E1A9C53D556D.jpeg

According to BITOG M1 has been reformulated. It looks like an across the board reformulation:

Here are some reports of the old formula causing noise.
There are reports on other forums as well, but I don't know if BITOG allows linking to other forums.

Why do you not trust someone's perception of sound? Lets use drugs as an example. Whenever a person takes a medicine and according to their own senses (not a medical diagnosis by a doctor) they have an adverse reaction we don't dismiss it. We don't say it's scientifically impossible for the medicine to act this way and call them crazy. The more data you have the more difficult it is to dismiss it as random. There are literally dozens of people who observed M1 is loud.

When I was experimenting with oil brands 15 years ago I too thought M1 was louder. Not too the point where I was worried, but I thought it was louder as well.

Why do you not trust someone's perception of sound? Let’s use drugs as an example. Whenever a person takes a medicine and according to their own senses (not a medical diagnosis by a doctor) they have an adverse reaction we don't dismiss it. We don't say it's scientifically impossible for the medicine to act this way and call them crazy. The more data you have the more difficult it is to dismiss it as random. There are literally dozens of people who observed M1 is loud.
Yes I’ll go with the drugs analogy.

Oh and there is zero data in any of that.

From a scientific standpoint - the possibility that oil additives and the ratio of additives used in motor oils can cause harmonics to be heard more or less in certain engines . As an example , Mobil 1 oils have historically used a higher amount of magnesium than many oils in their oil composition which could possibly impact how certain engines may sound when using M1 oils . Conversely Quaker State Full Synthetic and Valvoline Advanced synthetic oils have an increased amount of Moly in their make up perhaps leading to a quieter engine . I'm sure M1 oils protect just fine and the newer M1 SP formulations may behave differently than the former SN version oils with respect to engine harmonics when using these oils .

From a scientific standpoint - the possibility that oil additives and the ratio of additives used in motor oils can cause harmonics to be heard more or less in certain engines . As an example , Mobil 1 oils have historically used a higher amount of magnesium than many oils in their oil composition which could possibly impact how certain engines may sound when using M1 oils . Conversely Quaker State Full Synthetic and Valvoline Advanced synthetic oils have an increased amount of Moly in their make up perhaps leading to a quieter engine . I'm sure M1 oils protect just fine and the newer M1 SP formulations may behave differently than the former SN version oils with respect to engine harmonics when using these oils .

when does the scientific part begin ?

What do you think caused the M1 noise in the first place? I know noise is highly subjective but dozens if not hundreds of people reported this. It makes it hard to dismiss.
Noise doesn't correlate to more or less engine wear.

I've been reading that Mobil recently reformulated their oils. Does the new formulation exhibit the infamous M1 noise?
It's Science-Fiction and Superstition, nothing more. Use Mobil 1 with confidence. It's the best "off the shelf" lubricant there is made by a company that's vertically integrated and therefore manufactures nearly all ingredients and formulates their oils in-house.

I hope not to get beat up giving my opinion/experience with Mobil 1 0W20 extended reformulated. My 2013 Toyota Corolla S, 125.000 miles, has a cold startup tapping noise (Cold Winter Months), once the engine is warmed up the noise diminishes greatly. The two 0W20 motor oils that reduced this cold engine noise are Quaker State Full Synthetic, and recently (Last oil Change) Mobil 1 extended reformulated. I've used almost every on the shelf Walmart oil, with the exception of royal purple, My oil and filter changes never exceed 4000 miles and only use Toyota oil filters. I'm going with QSFS in the future because of Walmart' $22.00 price tag & my 4000 mile oil changes.

I hope not to get beat up giving my opinion/experience with Mobil 1 0W20 extended reformulated. My 2013 Toyota Corolla S, 125.000 miles, has a cold startup tapping noise (Cold Winter Months), once the engine is warmed up the noise diminishes greatly. The two 0W20 motor oils that reduced this cold engine noise are Quaker State Full Synthetic, and recently (Last oil Change) Mobil 1 extended reformulated. I've used almost every on the shelf Walmart oil, with the exception of royal purple, My oil and filter changes never exceed 4000 miles and only use Toyota oil filters. I'm going with QSFS in the future because of Walmart' $22.00 price tag & my 4000 mile oil changes.
For what it's worth, I prefer spending the $4~$5 extra per jug of Mobil 1, and in return I get ANs in my motor oil. I happen to like ANs. :)

Quaker State Full Synthetic is basically Welfare Pennzoil... :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
a lot depends on viscosity + thinner oils at operating tend to allow more noise as they protect less IMO, BUT you get that 1/4 mpg increase!!!
I agree although I think 1/4 mpg increase is a stretch. lol Maybe 1/4 mile per tankful. ;)

Is the M now short for malarkey? I don’t even like Mobil and I’ve never heard of this…
There's nothing wrong with Mobil, or any other "off the shelf" motor oil. In most cases you get what you pay for. I'd venture to say that with Mobil 1 you get a little bit more. Would I pay more for Pennzoil or Valvoline? Absolutely not. But some will, and that's their choice. I'm just thankful that Mobil 1 exists. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back