Noisy Escape Engine Using 5w30 Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend put 5w30 Mobil 1 in his 00 [V6] Escape a few days ago...The Escape has 103K miles on it...Before that he was using 5w30 Castrol changed out every 3 months or 3K miles...Since he put the Mobil 1 in the engine he has very loud piston slap for 5 minutes or longer every time he starts it up cold...I heard it tonight and it is loud...Before the Mobil 1 there was no piston slap...He is a total wreck over this...He was told by the garage who put in the Mobil 1 he can not go back to the Castrol dino anymore...I told him to go back to the Castrol he has been using all along with no worries..He plans on doing that real soon...I did recommnend Motorcraft for the Escape but since he has been using Castrol for so long and it was working so well for him I said just stick to the Castrol at this point...He takes really good care of his Escape.

What do you all think?

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
My friend put 5w30 Mobil 1 in his 00 [V6] Escape a few days ago...The Escape has 103K miles on it...Before that he was using 5w30 Castrol changed out every 3 months or 3K miles...Since he put the Mobil 1 in the engine he has very loud piston slap for 5 minutes or longer every time he starts it up cold...I heard it tonight and it is loud...Before the Mobil 1 there was no piston slap...He is a total wreck over this...He was told by the garage who put in the Mobil 1 he can not go back to the Castrol dino anymore...I told him to go back to the Castrol he has been using all along with no worries..He plans on doing that real soon...I did recommnend Motorcraft for the Escape but since he has been using Castrol for so long and it was working so well for him I said just stick to the Castrol at this point...He takes really good care of his Escape.

What do you all think?

How do you know it is piston slap?

If he wants to go back to Castrol, he can do it whenever he wants, however he wants, it doesn't matter. That shop is full of [censored].

If he's wanting to try a synthetic maybe try PP. Mobil made my old camry loud and it ran smooth on PP.

Mayby the oil filter. That happened to me once with a 99 F150 4.2. Had a brain fade and put on a Supertech filter. All was well for a couple of thoundsand miles then one morning it started making a noise on start up. We were in Clearwater so as soon as I got home I put on a new MC filter and the noise was gone.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
[/quote]

Its the same sound all my 4.6 engines made when cold for a few seconds...More so after a oil change...It goes away after its warmed up.

Originally Posted By: dakota99
If he wants to go back to Castrol, he can do it whenever he wants, however he wants, it doesn't matter. That shop is full of [censored].

If he's wanting to try a synthetic maybe try PP. Mobil made my old camry loud and it ran smooth on PP.

Seems "relatively" common on M1. My brother's 07' F150 had one fill of M1 and it was quiet, he uses PP now though.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Mayby the oil filter. That happened to me once with a 99 F150 4.2. Had a brain fade and put on a Supertech filter. All was well for a couple of thoundsand miles then one morning it started making a noise on start up. We were in Clearwater so as soon as I got home I put on a new MC filter and the noise was gone.

I told him to change out the filter first..He is using Motorctraft filters.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

Its the same sound all my 4.6 engines made when cold for a few seconds...More so after a oil change...It goes away after its warmed up.[/quote]

My old Merc GM had 218,000 miles on it when I sold it in Aug. and it was always very quite on M1 winter or summer.

I'd try swapping out a $3.50 filter, before swapping out $20 in oil.

I had start up noise on an old Monte Carlo right after an oil change, that went away with a simple filter swap out.

(That was the last Fr*m that I ever used...)

[/quote]

My old Merc GM had 218,000 miles on it when I sold it in Aug. and it was always very quite on M1 winter or summer.

You never had piston slap on your 4.6?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I'd try swapping out a $3.50 filter, before swapping out $20 in oil.

I had start up noise on an old Monte Carlo right after an oil change, that went away with a simple filter swap out.

(That was the last Fr*m that I ever used...)

I told him to swap out the filter tommarow.

You never had piston slap on your 4.6?[/quote]

No sir. Never heard any noises on cold start. Car was garaged so engine noise would be easily heard. That 4.6 was a great engine. Drove it to Fl. 18 times.

"He was told by the garage who put in the Mobil 1 he can not go back to the Castrol dino anymore"

Get a new garage. That old wives tail about switching to synthetic being a one way street is simply a lie.

I had some noise in a Ford Duratech with M1 and PP eliminated it completely. I'm talking about very minor noise that could only be detected in the garage with the windows down. But it sounds like the Escape has a filter issue possibly. Such a dramatic change after an oil change and no other changes is more likely the filter. A bad apple filter does happen from time to time. In any event he can go to any oil he wants without issues.

Obviously you did the right thing by having him change back to Castrol or Motorcraft. if the problem is the filter, it would normally only make valve clatter for a few seconds until the valvetrain is pumped up. It's not the first time that M1 has made more noise than other oils. True piston slap allegedly causes no harm. normally it is caused by uneven bore wear and you hear the piston "slap" in the cylinder until the piston heats up enough to expand and reduce the clearance. it's a lower pitch sound - more like a diesel clatter than a valvetrain tick. It's pretty common in earlier american 4 cylinders (chevy 2.0, 2.2 from the 80's; dodge 2.2 & 2.5 from the 80's; some Jeep 4.0l) I wish that I had more experience with the Ford modular engines.....

Since your friend is in Miami and it must be warm there, I was thinking maybe it's a case of the Mobil 1 working too good. Maybe its high VI and slipperiness is causing it to slide off the piston and not cushion it, relative to the dino? Just a theory.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Since your friend is in Miami and it must be warm there, I was thinking maybe it's a case of the Mobil 1 working too good. Maybe its high VI and slipperiness is causing it to slide off the piston and not cushion it, relative to the dino? Just a theory.

When he first told me that that is the first thing that came to my mind since he never used synthetic before...He is way 2 nervous with this noise lasting so long as he babies his cars...I am going over there later.

Thats all for the super quick help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back