New Fram racing filters cut open (HP20 virgin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Thanks for the C&P Memphis!

This is a nice step up from the prior unit for Fram and puts the Moroso which was the previous go to unit back on the shelf for me in terms of future purchasing.

Looks and specs perfect for my high flow and volume marine applications although I typically run non bypass filters the screen door on the pop off valve is a nice touch

Not sure why anyone would prefer to run this in their stock auto app as an Ultra would be far better suited than this filter.

Street autos with their minimal oiling systems dont come close to needing the burst strength of something like this which is designed primarily to stand up under a high rpm big blocks 12 tooth oil pump load at high viscosities and its not nearly a tight micron wise, but a great compromise between strength flow and filtration for a real unrestricted engine.

UD

Dayum UD, nice set up you have there!
cool.gif

Looks like Fram stepped up their game on their racing filters!
I was always underwhelmed in their old race filters and preferred the sturdy construction of the Wix racing filter.
These look on par with the Wix offering, I would have no problem running one of these!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PaleRider
Thanks for the C&P Memphis!

This is a nice step up from the prior unit for Fram and puts the Moroso which was the previous go to unit back on the shelf for me in terms of future purchasing.

Looks and specs perfect for my high flow and volume marine applications although I typically run non bypass filters the screen door on the pop off valve is a nice touch

Not sure why anyone would prefer to run this in their stock auto app as an Ultra would be far better suited than this filter.

Street autos with their minimal oiling systems dont come close to needing the burst strength of something like this which is designed primarily to stand up under a high rpm big blocks 12 tooth oil pump load at high viscosities and its not nearly a tight micron wise, but a great compromise between strength flow and filtration for a real unrestricted engine.

UD

Dayum UD, nice set up you have there!
cool.gif

I wish,

I do have 2 fairly wicked single engine boats One on a Moroso, and the other on a Wix Napa.

but this is a clients boat we built and service regularly - Clients ask us if we put Fram filters on our stuff I tell them and show them all the time that we do.

Really wish he had a sister....

UD

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

The Ultra has an ugly paint job and this would look good on a clean engine when on display at a car show.

This is true,

I never considered cosmetic reasons but on a stand its pretty dramatic.

UD

ok, so if I`m understanding these statements correctly, these HP filters are not suited for a stock oiling system on a supercharged street 5.6VK street truck? even with a 3k oci...

You probably could find one to fit and run it, but why?

An ultra will give you better filtration, longer service interval, and be within the burst pressure of your rigs output.

Whose SC kit did you go with and did you go into the short block or just bolt it on top?

UD

ok, so if I`m understanding these statements correctly, these HP filters are not suited for a stock oiling system on a supercharged street 5.6VK street truck? even with a 3k oci...

An ultra will give you better filtration, longer service interval, and be within the burst pressure of your rigs output.

Whose SC kit did you go with and did you go into the short block or just bolt it on top?

UD

Stillen Mag112 Tuner kit. I supplied the 255 Walbro and UPrev. The support mods are in place, jba headers, cajun B pipes, Cajun Y merge, Airiad quick fit, Level 10 trans, spartan locker, suspension upgrades, traction bars, etc etc...
there aren`t to many affordable internals for the VK currently other than cams. The VK is a very stout engine and can def handle the 6psi it`s getting. The Aussies have all the good parts, lol...

UD

Stillen Mag112 Tuner kit. I supplied the 255 Walbro and UPrev. The support mods are in place, jba headers, cajun B pipes, Cajun Y merge, Airiad quick fit, Level 10 trans, spartan locker, suspension upgrades, traction bars, etc etc...
there aren`t to many affordable internals for the VK currently other than cams. The VK is a very stout engine and can def handle the 6psi it`s getting. The Aussies have all the good parts, lol...

Love the stillen blown titans - especially towing one the mountains.

Been eyeing the blower package from "Stealin" for some time - 6lb is probably the limit before detonation sets in.
I've left my titan relatively stock aside from better brakes, ss lines, cooling upgrades, bigger rad, dif cover,
I thought about Jim wolf cams but with our super sensitive smog stuff here in cali if you so much as have a dash light on its a no go and Id hate to put all that in and have to yank it out to stay tagged.

Back to the filter, Id say stick with a better filtering full synthetic aftermarket filter like an FU or M1, MG and skip the racing stuff because you didn't mod the oil pump and arent spinning it any faster.
I would if it were my titan.

UD

Love the stillen blown titans - especially towing one the mountains.

Been eyeing the blower package from "Stealin" for some time - 6lb is probably the limit before detonation sets in.
I've left my titan relatively stock aside from better brakes, ss lines, cooling upgrades, bigger rad, dif cover,
I thought about Jim wolf cams but with our super sensitive smog stuff here in cali if you so much as have a dash light on its a no go and Id hate to put all that in and have to yank it out to stay tagged.

Back to the filter, Id say stick with a better filtering full synthetic aftermarket filter like an FU or M1, MG and skip the racing stuff because you didn't mod the oil pump and arent spinning it any faster.
I would if it were my titan.

I`m so used to hearing the other response for Stillen. Kyle Millen, and the regional sales manager were actually very helpful in getting this project underway last year. I have no complaints bc I understand what it`s all about and I have a healthy young VK to start. I also have the CSF 2 row and new clutch fan for better cooling. I`m also running a Keystone Good Hood and can actually say the cooler air coming in is within 1-2° of intake temps when cruising at speed on the highway.
are you on TitanTalk?

Did the CFS rad, and new fan clutch as well.

Been on titan talk since 04.

Got bored of the "my first truck" people complaining about mileage and rarely go there anymore.

UD

Did the CFS rad, and new fan clutch as well.

Been on titan talk since 04.

Got bored of the "my first truck" people complaining about mileage and rarely go there anymore.

UD

all the interesting tech and engine builds have gone. hard enough to search for past builds and tech with all the newbs posting about what lifts, what tire, how to change a head light bulb etc etc. I just gave up. I was wasting my time posting my progress on the Titan. For entertainment I`ll read when I have the time, or just to keep in touch with a few friends, otherwise most are cheaper than free lunch when it comes to selling anything and I don`t have the patience anymore...lol...

as far as the Titan, I like it, it works for me and I enjoy working on it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
They have the screen over the bypass Like the Tough Guard used to have. I wonder why the U G element isn't used?

This filter media was engineered for flow, not capacity. It is a real nice balance of high flow and decent 94%@20 mcron efficiency. Still has enough capacity to meet OE change interval of any modern high performance car.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Can these used on daily drivers for a regular oci with no worries?

yes they can. They are built to be used daily or in racing conditions

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Can these used on daily drivers for a regular oci with no worries?

If sure they could but it's not the right filter for that since they are lower holding capacity, Fram rates them at 6000 mile oci which means it doesn't even hold as much as a tough guard which is cheaper.

There is wording on the box that says "for racing purposes only, not for highway use"

The box wording is being changed, it was simply carried over by a marketing person who didn't bother to ask. These filters can easily go 6000+ miles between OCI's

Yes they most certainly are suitable for your truck. the wording on the box is being changed.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

The Ultra has an ugly paint job and this would look good on a clean engine when on display at a car show.

That's why i use them on my mustang!

Originally Posted By: Motorking

Yes they most certainly are suitable for your truck. the wording on the box is being changed.

Thank you Jay!
are these available? and where can I purchase some?
HP17 I believe?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I seen some for sale on Amazon, eBay, Summit racing and Jegs.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/frm-hp17

Dont the new and old version have the same part numbers?

How do you know you are getting the new part ?

UD

Yes they have the same part number, there's no way to know without going in person but the old version is very good too from what I understand.

I suppose you could order one and check the date code or send them back if it's not what you want?

Eventually if you wait long enough all the old stock will be gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back