New Florida Homes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Thanks Hatt and bubbatime.. !

I will be able to build the houses better and more cost effective.
The reason being is I will not have a building loan and my fiancée is a Florida
real-estate agent and she covers that area so unlike other builders I have eliminated carrying cost.
I also did note that this was going to be my hobby- not an investment. That is the key.

These houses will be custom after the first one. Also my first build is on 12 acres- that subdivision has a minimum 2800 sq ft living space requirement. That subdivision has 29 lots and no they are not the 1/4 acre type but from 10-24 acres each. It only has 5 houses on it now and the last one just sold for nearly $700K. Not new but just a few months ago and it was not built to a standard I would call great.

I have two lots there now myself.
This house is nearing completion and this is next to my 12 acre lot. I believe they have 11 acres.
This house has taken about 7 months to build. It is quality. I don't know the cost to build this
but I'm sure it was well over $500K.

What's with the different pitch of the roof line on the front bump outs? If you are going to use a different pitch, make it a dramatic change, not just a few degrees which makes it look like someone goofed up on installing the correct pitch.

Just my .02...

Well I wouldn't know as I did not build it.
But like everything some will like it, some won't.
I see several lines in the roof I do not care for and find it busy if not funky.
But then again to each his own.

Thanks Hatt and bubbatime.. !

I will be able to build the houses better and more cost effective.
The reason being is I will not have a building loan and my fiancée is a Florida
real-estate agent and she covers that area so unlike other builders I have eliminated carrying cost.
I also did note that this was going to be my hobby- not an investment. That is the key.

These houses will be custom after the first one. Also my first build is on 12 acres- that subdivision has a minimum 2800 sq ft living space requirement. That subdivision has 29 lots and no they are not the 1/4 acre type but from 10-24 acres each. It only has 5 houses on it now and the last one just sold for nearly $700K. Not new but just a few months ago and it was not built to a standard I would call great.

I have two lots there now myself.
This house is nearing completion and this is next to my 12 acre lot. I believe they have 11 acres.
This house has taken about 7 months to build. It is quality. I don't know the cost to build this
but I'm sure it was well over $500K.

LOL

This post basically summarized you are NOT qualified to even consider building homes.

As an apart, I just paid the invoice for my roofer yesterday. His wholesale cost was only 2/3rd's of retail. His company is half-decent sized, so you can just imagine the kind of substantial savings that come from being a behemoth.

But please, take on this adventure so I can watch you fail - miserably.

Oh, not sure you're aware, but should you and the girlfriend "split", she'll be entitled to half the HOUSE you built, not just the capital gains.
smile.gif

I live just a couple exits north of Palm Coast and have been here since 1982. I have worked in Rural Flagler county since about 1998, so I am pretty familiar with the area. Here's a couple things I would note:

You aren't likely to hit spring water over here for the same reason you don't have to worry about sinkholes - wrong part of the state. Most rural homes around here have groundwater wells, mine is around 60-70 feet. It's wise to plan on purchasing a softener and possibly an aerator system in case you hit sulphur (I have both to keep the Wife happy). It doesn't taste great, but I suppose if I wanted mountain water I should move to the mountains...

The Florida "trend" is to build these Mediterranean style homes nowadays. I highly recommend you ride some back roads and take a look at some of the older "cracker houses" you see out in farm country and note that these were built to be functional in the days before AC. I custom built my house in this style back in 2006 because I liked the look, but was shocked at how efficient it is to live in. Wraparound porches keep direct sunlight out of your windows, high ceilings let the heat rise over your head, and steel roofs reflect heat (and can last near forever too). My 2 story, 2,600 SF stick-frame house with 5 tons of heat pump capacity uses half the electricity my previous 1 story, 1,600 SF block house with 2 ton capacity did.

I'm not qualified to give much advice to you about spec homes, but be aware the market is HOT here right now and you will be competing with several corporate builders who bring in van loads of migrant labor where each crew throws up a house in 4 weeks. These guys have had permits and plans in hand for 6-8 years now waiting for this bubble, and they are running wide open. If you're moving here to enjoy an expensive hobby go buy an offshore boat... The fishing is pretty good!

lol...........

Quote:

firemachine69
LOL

This post basically summarized you are NOT qualified to even consider building homes.

As an apart, I just paid the invoice for my roofer yesterday. His wholesale cost was only 2/3rd's of retail. His company is half-decent sized, so you can just imagine the kind of substantial savings that come from being a behemoth.

But please, take on this adventure so I can watch you fail - miserably.

Oh, not sure you're aware, but should you and the girlfriend "split", she'll be entitled to half the HOUSE you built, not just the capital gains.
smile.gif

Thank you.
I have been all over the area and I know the builders you speak about.
I noticed several high end builders are only running one small crew and are just building a few at a time thus they are not trying to compete with the guys your talking about. I think many got too big and when the bubble hit they reduced size and started building custom with 7-8 month lead times. But I know what your saying as other builders would get started as soon as everything was a go and are running several and on to the next.

I did talk to several in the area today and so far the water has been better than expected but I know what your talking about because I have seen it. Heard many complaints on the city water as well.

Yes it is hot unlike others here preached. Of course you know because you are there and in Palm Coast you have all ranges
of income and housing...... Thanks

Originally Posted By: MoultrieCreek
I live just a couple exits north of Palm Coast and have been here since 1982. I have worked in Rural Flagler county since about 1998, so I am pretty familiar with the area. Here's a couple things I would note:

You aren't likely to hit spring water over here for the same reason you don't have to worry about sinkholes - wrong part of the state. Most rural homes around here have groundwater wells, mine is around 60-70 feet. It's wise to plan on purchasing a softener and possibly an aerator system in case you hit sulphur (I have both to keep the Wife happy). It doesn't taste great, but I suppose if I wanted mountain water I should move to the mountains...

The Florida "trend" is to build these Mediterranean style homes nowadays. I highly recommend you ride some back roads and take a look at some of the older "cracker houses" you see out in farm country and note that these were built to be functional in the days before AC. I custom built my house in this style back in 2006 because I liked the look, but was shocked at how efficient it is to live in. Wraparound porches keep direct sunlight out of your windows, high ceilings let the heat rise over your head, and steel roofs reflect heat (and can last near forever too). My 2 story, 2,600 SF stick-frame house with 5 tons of heat pump capacity uses half the electricity my previous 1 story, 1,600 SF block house with 2 ton capacity did.

I'm not qualified to give much advice to you about spec homes, but be aware the market is HOT here right now and you will be competing with several corporate builders who bring in van loads of migrant labor where each crew throws up a house in 4 weeks. These guys have had permits and plans in hand for 6-8 years now waiting for this bubble, and they are running wide open. If you're moving here to enjoy an expensive hobby go buy an offshore boat... The fishing is pretty good!

How many years did it take you to figure that out?
One phone call could get me a better deal than that.
The last flip I did I got free roofing materials for the manufacturer's sign in the front yard....

Quote:

How many years did it take you to figure that out?
One phone call could get me a better deal than that.
The last flip I did I got free roofing materials for the manufacturer's sign in the front yard....

Quote:

I should clarify, this is a wholesale-retail outlet. Home Depot, etc., can't even touch their "retail" pricing.

Our housing market hit a serious slump in the past two years (95% mining town), other than exotic stuff (I got quotes on aluminum roofs from all over NA), there isn't a single outfit that'll give serious discounts for advertising. My property actually has a 150' fence that backs the heaviest-travelled daily corridor in the "highest growth" area, and I barely got any interest for roofing (slightly better results with seamless eaves trough.) Oh, did I mention my past history was wholesaling? If you can't negotiate in that business, you get eaten alive.
smile.gif

One of the major themes of older houses was functionality, thus their Form Followed Function. It makes sense in a hot climate to keep the Sun off the windows and not install lots of glass on the South side. Up North, you can get away with that and enjoy it; Not here nor in Florida.

High ceilings do help as well. Many of these older non-A/C houses had high windows that allowed natural ventilation to remove the heat via a "thermal chimney". It also made sense to orient a house based on both the Sun and prevailing winds.

Bright, shiny, galvanized roofs also make sense today. I never understand the builders & archys who spec black asphalt shingles here, 30° above the Equator, on a steep hip to boot. Couple that with poor siting + poor A/C design & minimal 2nd story attic insulation with no radiant barrier, and you have an upper level that's often uncomfortable. Thus the homeowner lowers the t-stat, greatly escalating the e-bill.

A smart builder & archy who encompass to consider these issues will easily stand out from the masses, constantly repeating "same old; same old". I see lots of the later in new subdivisions throughout my area: Just stamping out cookie-cutter houses.

After all, when it comes time to sell such a house, in a subdivision of > 100, what's unique about yours?

Well said indeed.
I did see Trivett Homes building houses mostly with shiny galvanized roofs
which is for function but its an acquired taste but I do agree. Exactly "cookie cutter" houses.
I got abused and people acted like I was going to compete with that. Why or how could you. nothing custom there!

More great info. I actually have these here in MD ( Clopay) and I built my house in 1999 and I used these- basic white insulated ones and they still look great today and are still rock solid. Excellent quality. You did good
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog
These are the garage doors I recommend. They make a 200mph Miami Dade door. Completely storm proof up to a CAT5 direct hit.

http://www.clopaydoor.com/residential-garage-doors

In '99 I visited Negril. The hotel was directly across from a Mega -resort Club Med In a concrete 2 story, metal roofed, high ceilings Covered porches. Jalousied storm shutters,covereing windowless holes. Big slow fans Better than AC, because it doesnt dry you out. Arthur's Sunset Hotel was part of the local color.
Is that roofers nightmare white elephant what is selling in FL ? Freaken yuppies. I was in a residential circle developed in the 60's. 2500 sq foot Capes . Garrisons, etc.Just like the ones that put me through college framing them. Anyway this little circle was being bought up , demoed, and a gawd awful Mc.Mansion replacing it. I get demoing the house part. Way easier. AMHIK But why replace it with that? The foyer and staircase is 25% of the area. total waste of space and a maint problem as well. All it needs is a pink'59 Eldo parked in porte cochere. Tacky !

Last edited:
Here up north we pay big for wells- back in 1999 I paid $13 a foot because of what they had to drill through and even though I had a stream in my front yard I did not hit minimum water GPM until well after 500 feet. In the 60-70's a drilled well was 80 feet and terrific. That said Florida well drilling is inexpensive from the pricing I received from several drillers in Palm Coast.

One business was being protested for its extreme water use and they went down 900 feet into a high producing aquifer
and that was in PC too. The cost cited was inexpensive compared to my area. So if you are doing custom why cheap out on a well when in 10-20 years it may go dry. Plus in that area they did not require water treatment as it was very pure.

Many builders include the well and septic as the costs are not that high. But I prefer on my own house and others to be honest to just do it right upfront and be safe about it. What depth depends on the actual area but at the costs I'm seeing its foolish not too. Now I'm not saying 900 feet but good water is worth splurging for.

Andyd

From what I see cheapness rules the day in Florida mostly.
Cheapness to the point you get something not worth owning or requiring more money to fix the effects of your cheapness.
Pretty foolish if you ask me.

You talk about Yuppies- One guy where I bought the property is the "in every bodies grill type of dude"
I call him Mr. Vanilla. He has 12 acres and put his house just off the road- the minimum distance allowed.
His whole house outside and inside is absolutely stark white- yes everything. I met him and he bloviated about getting
nailed $600K to build the house. The best builder in the area for the same house was $247,000 and the finishes were superb and it had a concrete barrel roof and an outdoor kitchen and all the options built in.

To me straight white in Florida blows your eyeballs out in the sun. poor mans LSD- I guess....... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back