New engine oil I may be overthinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a brand new rebuilt Toyota 2trfe in my 09 Tacoma 4x4. It currently has break in oil in there from the builder, afterwards he said go with Toyota spec, which for my truck is 5w20 or 0w20. The previous engine didn't fail however it had excessive oil consumption due to failed rings. It was upgraded with hastings rings and cp pistons and bored .20 over. I'm clear on the break in procedure, however I've been obsessing over which oil to use. Some days I'm just like screw it Mobil 1 cause that's what I used before other days I'm looking at "high end" oils ie amsoil although I don't like the fact I can't buy it off the shelf. Truck is used on very long trips often far away so availability is key. Truck sees all kinds of weather and temps, from -20c to +45c. Use ranges from highway to rock crawling, truck weighs in at about 5500lbs in full trip trim. I plan to stick with the standard 5k mile change intervals.

Opinions, recommendations appreciated

You never mentioned what USA oils are available there?
You didn't mention what Mobil-1 you ran..... there are a half-dozen different ones.

In 0w20, Mobil-1 AFE and EP are very good.
In 5W20, the new 20K service Castrol Edge EP (Gold) is very good.

Want to spend even more?.... Red Line and Amsoil 0/5w20..... or are you only using Euro oils. Most popular Euros here in 20W are Mobil-1 and Pennzoil.

Last edited:
M1 is a fine oil. 0W -30 and 0W-40 work well in that engine I had a 2006 4X4 bought bew and in 2010 or 2011 gave it to my son and he still has it and love it.I loved that engine. Oil is oil with the proper ratings. Break in? Engines break in .

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
You didn't mention what Mobil-1 you ran..... there are a half-dozen different ones.

Regular Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic, is all I ever ran. I can get pretty much anything here that's available in the states, Castrol, royal purple, Penzoil, Rotella, lucas, redline, they're all usually sitting on shelves of various parts stores

Originally Posted by TYetti
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Regular Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic, is all I ever ran. I can get pretty much anything here that's available in the states, Castrol, royal purple, Penzoil, Rotella, lucas, redline, they're all usually sitting on shelves of various parts stores

In that case, since money is not a main matter, Red Line is my favorite non TGDI/GDI oil and darn-near perfect for your driving habits..

Last edited:
Mobil 1 would serve you well. It's a quality oil, and availability should be good in most places.

Originally Posted by CT8
M1 is a fine oil. 0W 30 would be a great choice. Oil is oil with the proper ratings. Break in? Engines break in .

I'm not sure I follow.

Originally Posted by CT8
M1 is a fine oil. 0W 30 would be a great choice. Oil is oil with the proper ratings. Break in? Engines break in .

I'm not sure I follow.

It's not really all that clear how many manufacturers actually use a "break in" oil or a special break-in additive. Or if it's really needed. Engines will eventually break in regardless of whether or not a special oil is used. Supposedly Honda does use moly. I remember my Subaru came with a recommendation to change the oil at EXACTLY 3000 miles or 4 months. I had a UOA done of the factory fill, and it had a very high level of moly. My the time I switched to Mobil 1 5W-30 the moly levels in the UOAs were less than 1/10th of the factory fill.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by CT8

I'm not sure I follow.

It's not really all that clear how many manufacturers actually use a "break in" oil or a special break-in additive. Or if it's really needed. Engines will eventually break in regardless of whether or not a special oil is used. Supposedly Honda does use moly. I remember my Subaru came with a recommendation to change the oil at EXACTLY 3000 miles or 4 months. I had a UOA done of the factory fill, and it had a very high level of moly. My the time I switched to Mobil 1 5W-30 the moly levels in the UOAs were less than 1/10th of the factory fill.

I was referring to the 0w30 sorry I should have been more clear. The builder didn't go into details about what's currently in there, as he supplied it as part of the service and referred to it as break in oil.

I was referring to the 0w30 sorry I should have been more clear. The builder didn't go into details about what's currently in there, as he supplied it as part of the service and referred to it as break in oil.

I got that it's been rebuilt. However, it's still not even all that clear whether or not any kind of special oil or additive is needed with a modern rebuilt engine. Red Line makes a special additive that they claim allows rings to seat, plus protects components like cam lobes with a high dose of ZDDP. However, if you've got a catalytic converter that might not be a great idea, especially if it's leaking past the rings.

I thought that I saw some sort of break in oil at an auto parts store, but that was in the "muscle car" section. There were warnings on the bottle that it was really for rebuilt engines on older cars without catalytic converters.

I would use Penzzoil Platinum 5W-30 and OE filter.
A good basic combination that can be had for reasonable prices in Canada.
I've used PP 5W-30 mostly through the last 10 years on our 3.5L Venza, and it runs great - and all it does is nasty short trips in cold weather.

If you notice Canadian Tire always alternates it's synthetic oils on sale. One week it will be Mobil, then Pennzoil, then Castrol then there Formula (Shell) brands. It goes to about 30 bucks a jug so when I'm down to one jug left, I'll go in a buy a box of three. Any over the counter synthetic will work. Don't over think it. Just be regular in your changes and you'll be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back