New engine - change oil at 1k, or leave it in?

For us around 1000 miles.
Interesting.

I wonder what that factory fill was as it certainly looked no different to a regular oil.

Car now has just over 2000 miles on it now, I will be sourcing an OE oil filter and changing the factory fill out in the next week or so.

My daughter really likes her Q2 and she intends to keep it long term so I want to keep it tip top.

Different manufacturers seem to ask for different things. I always ran the FF about 1-2K and dumped.
For engines I built Id break them in on the dyno in sweep mode and change oil and filter mid day and start pulling.

I was quite surprised when I bought my first new Honda auto and found out they want the FF in for the whole duration of the OCI.
They dont even recommend changing the filter until the second OCI. (sacrilege! but thats another thread)

I started digging into this and the moderators at the honda forums discussed with the factory reps to discuss and their thinking went like this.

There is no "break in oil" that Honda uses - it's the same as regular oil. (currently Idemitsu)
(as Trav pointed out and uoa's show) The moly rich assembly lube helps the break in process.
They are adamant about keeping this in the sump and their dealers will not change the FF until the maintenance minder is down to 20%.

The early first oil change has always been a good idea. In UOA after UOA, wear metals and particle counts are way up on the first oil change. Don't forget that those particulates do cause and promote certain types of wear.

I've been a fan of early first oil changes for over 45 years. It's no surprise I get more miles from my engines than others. Often considerably more. We've had fleet Fords with over 900K miles, and no cam chain or phaser problems. Yet others find themselves changing chains at 100K and have nothing but phaser problems.
I fully understand and agree.
I'm starting to think a top tier oil filter is even more important than the oil itself. A better than OEM filter would do a better job of removing the particulates...no?
Instead of changing the oil super early change the filter to a premium one and top off with fresh oil and then do a somewhat shorter oci. next time.

I fully understand and agree.
I'm starting to think a top tier oil filter is even more important than the oil itself. A better than OEM filter would do a better job of removing the particulates...no?
Instead of changing the oil super early change the filter to a premium one and top off with fresh oil and then do a somewhat shorter oci. next time.

I pondered a filter change, but ended up snapping a magnet on it, and Im glad I did when I looked at it after.
IMG_6438.jpeg

I did mine at 3k, seemed like a good medium between being unnecessary and a little early.
That's usually approximately what I do.

2000-3000 miles on the FF, then use whatever oil I'm going to use.

More important than changing the FF at some arbitrary mileage, IMHO, is to pay proper attention to engine break-in in order to reduce the likelihood of the engine using oil over its lifetime.

I do that by gradually increasing the RPM, not being afraid to touch redline, as long as the engine has been properly warmed. As I put more and more miles on it, I spend more time in the upper ranges of the tach.

The worst thing you can do is baby a new engine. That doesn't mean to abuse it, but some quick trips to redline, even with torque potential.

Another thing that is very important for piston ring seating is engine braking. That is, do it a lot. Your engine needs that vacuum to help seat the rings.

Also, you need to vary speed, gear, and RPM a lot. Don't get on the interstate in your new car and drone for 500 miles at the same speed in cruise control. Take backroads, again, varying speed, gear, and RPM.

Using these principles, along with frequent oil/filter changes with good synthetic oils, I've broken in 3 new vehicles and a few new motorcycles (2004 Honda Accord K24 5-spd, 2007 Tacoma V6, 2016 WRX 6-spd, 2004 Honda 919, 2005 Yamaha R1, 2007 Yamaha R1), none of which had any oil usage problems.

I left my oil in for about 5k miles. No issues. I would think it's more important that the filter gets changed though. All that break in metal might get in the filter

Back