2024 VW GLI (EA888 Gen 3) | OE Genuine HP 0W-20 | 1K Mile Break-In UOA

First oil change was at the conclusion of the factory recommended break-in period, which was strictly followed.

Nothing surprising in the sample, although I was a little surprised at Blackstone recommending another 1K OCI.

Happy to do it, since I'm thoroughly enjoying this car and hope to keep it for a very long time.
UOA - GLI (Break-In).jpg

Yes, it's quite elevated right now & will come down over some mileage. The OEM recommended changing the oil after 1k? What do they say after that point?

First oil change was at the conclusion of the factory recommended break-in period, which was strictly followed.

Nothing surprising in the sample, although I was a little surprised at Blackstone recommending another 1K OCI.

Happy to do it, since I'm thoroughly enjoying this car and hope to keep it for a very long time.
That was in your owner’s manual?

I think my post is being misread.

There is a factory break-procedure (copied below) and I chose to change the oil at the conclusion of it.

VW recommends the first oil change to be at 10K miles, which I disagree with.

Yes, it's quite elevated right now & will come down over some mileage. The OEM recommended changing the oil after 1k? What do they say after that point?

That was in your owner’s manual?

Owner's Manual called for a 2-stage break-in procedure.

GLI Break-In.jpg

I see you have an XC90 too. I just picked one up for the wife. How do you like yours? We've only put 800 miles on ours so no idea on longevity. 😂

It's been great. Practical, safe and an excellent long-distance driver. I have 171K miles on mine and it's running strong, thankfully.

Only real issue was a bit of oil consumption that was notably improved after a round of BG EPR and a few rounds of shorter OCIs.

In terms of longevity, these Gen 1 XC90s can last when maintained. Plenty out there with 300K+ miles and I personally know of one with 425K+ miles and counting (original engine, transmission, etc.).

There's an important service @ 120K miles for the belt, pulleys and water pump and servicing the transmission regularly goes a long way.

SwedeSpeed has a nice sub-forum for the platform with plenty of useful info: https://www.swedespeed.com/forums/xc90-2003-2014.27/

How do you like the GLI? Is it true the new GTI's come with the gen 4? I had an 2006 GTI which I loved but the car ended up being an electronics lemon, which the dealer bought back. I think those were the first gen TSI (early direct injected) motors known for alot of carbon. Car seemed to burn alot of oil for the only 7k miles that I had on it (got a low oil light). With a baby coming along, I am looking for affordable options but am wondering about the reliability these days.

It's been great. Practical, safe and an excellent long-distance driver. I have 171K miles on mine and it's running strong, thankfully.

Only real issue was a bit of oil consumption that was notably improved after a round of BG EPR and a few rounds of shorter OCIs.

In terms of longevity, these Gen 1 XC90s can last when maintained. Plenty out there with 300K+ miles and I personally know of one with 425K+ miles and counting (original engine, transmission, etc.).

There's an important service @ 120K miles for the belt, pulleys and water pump and servicing the transmission regularly goes a long way.

SwedeSpeed has a nice sub-forum for the platform with plenty of useful info: https://www.swedespeed.com/forums/xc90-2003-2014.27/
Great info & I'm subscribed to the photo thread on that forum. :)
I'm going to run 40 grade oil in this one when I change it for the first time. I've not changed it yet b/c it came with a receipt showing "Valvoline Full Synthetic" just done right before purchase. There was an annoying metal on metal rattle & a hard 1-2nd shift that I narrowed down to the passenger side engine mount. The safety is what led me to this machine along w/older year kept the price right. Thanks!

How do you like the GLI? Is it true the new GTI's come with the gen 4? I had an 2006 GTI which I loved but the car ended up being an electronics lemon, which the dealer bought back. I think those were the first gen TSI (early direct injected) motors known for alot of carbon. Car seemed to burn alot of oil for the only 7k miles that I had on it (got a low oil light). With a baby coming along, I am looking for affordable options but am wondering about the reliability these days.

Congrats on the baby!

I remember test driving the '06 GTI when it first came out and being very impressed by it. VW sure does know how to build a FWD car that is fun to drive.

The engine in it was a variant of the 2.0T FSI / EA113. I've owned a couple of Audi A4s over the years with that engine, and it's generally a good platform...just hit / miss with oil consumption. One of my A4s consumed oil (even after the piston rings were changed under warranty) and the other one didn't.

It's true that the new GTI comes with the Gen 4 EA888. I considered the GTI and also the Golf R, but ultimately decided on wanting a sedan.

The GLI is great. Clean lines / styling, enjoys being pushed on windy roads but is also super smooth on the highway. It replaced my B7 A4 and comparing the two, the 6MT in the GLI is smoother and the power difference feels substantial. The rear seat is also usable in the GLI for adult passengers.

I do miss having Quattro, but it being something that I actually needed 1% of the time wasn't enough to be a deal-breaker for me.

The only car I seriously cross-shopped was the WRX. Similar in price point and met my criteria, which included: slick roof, manual transmission and a good balance of practicality / driving enjoyment.

The WRX drove well, but felt nowhere near as refined as the GLI. Gearbox and suspension were rougher, and the issue where globs of RTV from the factory would clog up the oil pickup gave me pause.

Having Subaru's excellent AWD system would been nice, but that alone wasn't enough to overcome the tradeoffs for me.

From what I gathered, the current Jetta / GLI are reliable. VW also offers extended Bumper-To-Bumper warranties, which I opted for (10 Year / 150K Miles) as a safety net just in case.

Great info & I'm subscribed to the photo thread on that forum. :)
I'm going to run 40 grade oil in this one when I change it for the first time. I've not changed it yet b/c it came with a receipt showing "Valvoline Full Synthetic" just done right before purchase. There was an annoying metal on metal rattle & a hard 1-2nd shift that I narrowed down to the passenger side engine mount. The safety is what led me to this machine along w/older year kept the price right. Thanks!

Sure!

It's an incredibly safe car and a great value. You chose well, IMHO. :)

Interesting detail: there is no other platform in history that is 20+ years and still meets today's much more rigorous standard of protecting the driver in a front collision.

I tried a few different oils out, including 5W-30 and 0W-40, before the EPR treatment. All consumed roughly 1 QT / L every 3K miles.

Currently running through my remaining supply of LM 0W-30 and trying to build to a 5K mile OCI with the consumption under control.

Depending on what I observe, might switch to a 0/5W-40.

Was the engine mount replacement difficult?

Sure!

It's an incredibly safe car and a great value. You chose well, IMHO. :)

Interesting detail: there is no other platform in history that is 20+ years and still meets today's much more rigorous standard of protecting the driver in a front collision.

I tried a few different oils out, including 5W-30 and 0W-40, before the EPR treatment. All consumed roughly 1 QT / L every 3K miles.

Currently running through my remaining supply of LM 0W-30 and trying to build to a 5K mile OCI with the consumption under control.

Depending on what I observe, might switch to a 0/5W-40.

Was the engine mount replacement difficult?
Thanks for your prospectives & experience. Here's mine:
I agree that the P2 platform was ahead of the pack of safety on the 2003+ but the other OEM's, eventually, caught up with them on safety. The safety test's have been recently updated for faster MPH crash & can't be relied upon meeting the same ratings anymore for this platform today. I paid more attention to the IIHS ratings than the US gov. ratings. I wanted the wife to have a little more weight & bumper protection than a smaller sedan.

1 qt/3k is not out of the ordinary for your mileage. I still don't know my rate yet but will find out on the 5w-30 that was put in there last. Interesting to hear your rate. There are some others here that run this like @himemsys has the S80 & @Astro14 runs several of these platforms. I'm sure there are a few more here though.

As for the passenger side top engine mount. It was as simple as removing I think a few bolts remove replace with a new one. I bought a cheap foreign non oem mount. The rubber bushings shrink & crack over time from age/heat causing too much play. If yours hasn't been replaced yet then I'd definitely recommend it. It is way too easy not to replace. Couldn't be any easier. LOL Reach your hand underneath it & give it a good wiggle. If you feel any movement it's time to replace.

I see that prices have gone up since November.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144683731207?

This was what I was hearing & to see what's involved.

Back