New engine - change oil at 1k, or leave it in?

‘20 VW GTI with almost 1,000 miles. In the past, before I found BITOG, I changed out the “break-in” oil at around 1k. What are everyone’s thoughts on this? I keep my cars a long time - is it worth it, or are filters good enough that it isn’t an issue?

I have had 4 VWs in the past 11 years. I have first changed the oil in all of them at 5000 miles and continue to do it every 5000 miles in my gassers. The two diesels I owned were then always changed at 10,000 mile intervals. None of them have ever burned any oil in 5000 miles. The oil is always right at full on the dipstick.

I did my first OC (done for free by VW dealer) @10K miles.
Since then my OCI is 5K miles after reading up on how Turbo/GDI it's not kind to oil.
Specially in my case where majority of my trips are short where oil never reaches operating temp. of 212°F or higher to burn off deposits and water vapor which mixes with sulfur and creates acids.

‘20 VW GTI with almost 1,000 miles. In the past, before I found BITOG, I changed out the “break-in” oil at around 1k. What are everyone’s thoughts on this? I keep my cars a long time - is it worth it, or are filters good enough that it isn’t an issue?

Depends on a number of variables. ( assume this is a new OEM vehicle?)

It is recommended to follow the OEM recommendations if "OEM new"- usually don't require formal break in like the old days but cant hurt to do a early change except when there is a formal break in procedure.

If "rebuild new" then that's a different set of considerations.

At the end of the day the answer to this is just like the proper break in of a "barrel", depends on who you ask because both schools of thought have valid points.

I don’t think anyone would be able to prove that changing it early would make any difference. The filter picks up the metals. A UOA will show higher metals, but in the very small particle range and measured in ppm concentrations. I ran my first oil change out to the OLM limit which was about 10,000 miles and the engine has 200,000 miles now. If you lose sleep on it, change it, if not, don’t bother.

Last edited:
I always change mine not to get new oil in the sump, but to get a better/more efficient filter in there

Usually do it at 1,000 but I've done it at 500 miles before. That depends on the type of driving (city vs highway).

Is it necessary/Do I have to do it? absolutely not.

What does the owner's manual say?
My 4Runner owner's manual said 10K oil and filter changes. I changed oil and filter at 5K.
I looked at the filter and didn't see anything caught in it. The oil looked fine.

How about changing the filter first after 1000 miles and inspecting the first filter, then running the oil for another 1000 miles and then doing and oil and filter change? When I bought the caravan I changed oil and filter at 4000 km (2400 miles). Filter and oil both had some shiny particles in them.

There really isn't a wrong answer here. For me? I do not/have never done this and have had cars go over 200K. I personally think the early change is just about mental comfort vs. anything that has been substantiated w/r to wear/engine longevity from "all the metal floating around the engine" and....that's ok if that's how your roll! I have always thought that if this is really a concern, that intial wear happens so quickly that you would need to change it out in the first few hours of driving :ROFLMAO:

I usually do mine at 1,000 but someone told me that the factory fill is loaded with moly and break in additives. Not sure if I believe that, but let’s say it is true...find the happy medium and let it go 2,000 miles. Easy.

I usually do mine at 1,000 but someone told me that the factory fill is loaded with moly and break in additives. Not sure if I believe that, but let’s say it is true...find the happy medium and let it go 2,000 miles. Easy.
And if that is the case, the manufacturer will tell you specifically in the owner's manual to not change the factory oil for X miles/time.

Back