New engine - change oil at 1k, or leave it in?

On my new (at the time) 2017 Infiniti Q60S w/VR30DDTT engine, I performed the 1st oil & filter change just after 1k miles. I followed the 1,200 mile break-in recommendation in the owner's manual, which noted to keep under 4k rpms and no jack-rabbit starts.

Here's the UOA, and yes, the FF did contain a higher ppm level of Moly:

1604734158630.png

1604734225790.png

After the FF was dumped, the next change was PP 0W20, then Castrol Edge 5W30, and Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30 for the last 3 OCIs and currently in the crankcase.

I'd change the oil. The filter is optional, at 1K miles it certainly has plenty of life left, and is not going to release what it already trapped. Flip a coin on changing the filter. The last new vehicle I bought the oil was dropped at 100 miles, filled with dino oil and run to 1,000 miles. The dino oil was then dropped and swapped with synthetic oil and a new filter. At 5 k miles I dropped that and run 5K oci's verified as good for me via UOA. I also went form 20 grade oil to 30 grade oil, no regrets. Flame suit on.

On my new (at the time) 2017 Infiniti Q60S w/VR30DDTT engine, I performed the 1st oil & filter change just after 1k miles. I followed the 1,200 mile break-in recommendation in the owner's manual, which noted to keep under 4k rpms and no jack-rabbit starts.

Here's the UOA, and yes, the FF did contain a higher ppm level of Moly:

View attachment 33343
View attachment 33344

After the FF was dumped, the next change was PP 0W20, then Castrol Edge 5W30, and Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30 for the last 3 OCIs and currently in the crankcase.

The moly probably is not from the oil used but the assembly lube used on the bearings. I have seen numerous FSM stating Molykote Gn for the bearings. Once the engine has oil pressure it plays no further roll but because it is not a grease per se and dissolves in the oil it can be left in if desired.
Break in oils historically were very high in zinc no moly and have not been used in many years as OE fill.

M cars from BMW still mandate a 1,200 mi. engine/diff oil change, they used to also include the transmission so I did that on my own for my M2 Competition. Must be some reason behind it...

Yep, just had the first service on the wife's M vehicle. I had the Dealer do it only because I'm friends with the Tech, and he won't do a hack job. I even watched and talked with him as he performed it.

The recommendation in the manual is quick and dirty . 5k oil change with 0w-20 Synthetic . That's it . The maintenance reminder in the dash display is set at 5k .

Not so quick and dirty. From the Manual-
This vehicle is equipped with oil change monitor. It calculates engine oil and filter change interval base on driving conditions. Driving in severe conditions will shorten the engine oil and filter change interval. When the Engine Oil – Service Due Now warning appears in the vehicle information display, the engine oil and filter need to be replaced.

1604798460190.png

The first new vehicle here was a 1968 pickup that got it`s first OC at 1,000 miles then 3,000 after that. The Equinox at 3,000 first then 4 to 5,000 since. A rebuilt gets it`s first at 500 miles to dump prelubes

The early first oil change has always been a good idea. In UOA after UOA, wear metals and particle counts are way up on the first oil change. Don't forget that those particulates do cause and promote certain types of wear.

I've been a fan of early first oil changes for over 45 years. It's no surprise I get more miles from my engines than others. Often considerably more. We've had fleet Fords with over 900K miles, and no cam chain or phaser problems. Yet others find themselves changing chains at 100K and have nothing but phaser problems.

I don't think anyone can prove one way or the other is better and will result in longer engine life. I chose to change the factory fill on our 2020 Jetta 1.4 TSI at 1000 miles, then again at 2,500 miles. Moving forward changes will be done in 5K intervals.

My opinion is that oil is cheap, change early for peace of mind. Others will disagree, that is fine.

I don't know what the OCI are for the Diesel engined Audis.

I think it might be the same 19k or 2 years.

I think I am going to change the oil at around 2/3000 miles.

With all the talk about the 508/509 0w20 being green in colour I thought it would look different on the dipstick.

But it looks the same.

It does have a green hue when new, after running it it turns amber quickly.

The early first oil change has always been a good idea. In UOA after UOA, wear metals and particle counts are way up on the first oil change. Don't forget that those particulates do cause and promote certain types of wear.

I've been a fan of early first oil changes for over 45 years. It's no surprise I get more miles from my engines than others. Often considerably more. We've had fleet Fords with over 900K miles, and no cam chain or phaser problems. Yet others find themselves changing chains at 100K and have nothing but phaser problems.
Enterprise HQ is very strict about OC"s every 4-5k. If it's just before,at, or over, the computer will not let them rent the vehicle. Years ago I used Enterprise often and would check the oil when I got it home. A couple didn't show oil on the dipstick. I put a qt in one because I didn't want to get stranded on the DC beltway. I believe they are strict because they used to have problems and it's part of the contract with the manufacturers.

What oil should I run in my car?

Read the owners manual, do what it says, and stop wasting our time!
—————————
Should I do the first oil change on a new car earlier than what the owner manual says?

Well, , , , , so in conclusion, yes, do the first one early.

There seems to be some inconsistencies with the replies to recurring threads/questions...if members are going to be advised to disregard what the owners manual says on one oil spec (OCI) maybe we should ease up on the indignation with which we reply to other members asking about a different spec (oil type/weight) that can also be found in the OM???

Not so quick and dirty. From the Manual-
This vehicle is equipped with oil change monitor. It calculates engine oil and filter change interval base on driving conditions. Driving in severe conditions will shorten the engine oil and filter change interval. When the Engine Oil – Service Due Now warning appears in the vehicle information display, the engine oil and filter need to be replaced.

View attachment 33409
That's not for the gasoline engine .

Back