New Delvac-1 (and M-1 TDT) formula... improvement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Johnny - you said this:

"You should. Your the best spokesman they have."

Well at least I don't offer an opinion on every issue and don't promote lubricants without being asked like some do on here. I use a number of Brands too - Shell, Castrol, Mobil and Silkolene to name a few

And I used Pennzoil too a few decades ago..............great stuff!

Keep smiling Johnny your input is always welcome to many of us

Last edited:
I have noticed this as well with Rotella and oil consuption. It only seems to be a problem though in diesels. So I normaly recomend Delo or Delvac 15W40 for real diesels but I often recomend RTS 5W40 in gasser's because it does not seem to have any consuption issues in gasoline engines and trully represents a great value at $4 a quart inthe Gallon jug at Walmart. Delvac-1 is and always has been a great oil i you need it and are willing to pay for it! I used to use Delvac 1300 for years until Delo upgraded it's product a few years back.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
The TDT 5w40 we have at our Walmart here is still the CI-4 stuff, should I stock up?

If the price is right, then sure... it's not going to get cheaper and it's a great motor oil.

CI-4, CI-4 Plus, CJ-4, they're all good.

Hi,
as I indicated earlier, I have attempted to obtain pre-release and field test data on the ESP version of Delvac 1 that I could post on here from my sources at EM. This has failed - sorry!

I can say that the in-field test cycles have indicated overall (and some specific) improvements over the performance of the previous version of Delvac 1

This has always been the case as they have reformulated Delvac 1 5W-40 during the 20 odd years that I had exposure to the product!
During this time some of my engines were involved in the field testing regime here in OZ so very close personal involvement/experience was obtained

Of course it must be remembered that it is a "Commercial" product and that it is used in very demanding applications

Sadly and like most products it is expensive - but you get what you pay for - making it cost effective is the purchaser's role!

Last edited:
I also noticed less oil consumption with Delvac 1 in my 2003 Dodge with a Cummins, as well as a bit less noise and easier revs when cold.

Quote:
I can say that the in-field test cycles have indicated overall (and some specific) improvements over the performance of the previous version of Delvac 1

It's tough to best yourself when you're at the front of the line. I would only hope that XOM was able to maintain the stellar distinction of this oil under the newer standards. This oil is about the best that there is in such wide availability.

Yeah, I really hope they are not gonna "cheap it out". Otherwise no one is gonna buy it as long as their excellent Gr. II Delvac 1300 can be had at a fourth of the price, when rebate is included. Something makes me believe that the M1 TDT is not as good as Delvac 1 ESP in the CJ-4 version.

Please someone buy these oils, do UOA and share with us.

The ESP version has more builder specifications listed, the TDT lists Japanese equipment builders under aplicationsm while the ESP does not, and there are some property differences. If ESP is better than the TDT I assume that TDT is still a better 5w40 choice than Rotella or others.

In fact a little surprising, Struck. I did not notice it before, but as you pointed out, no JASO recommendation for D1 ESP.

Also, Globel DHD-1 disappeared with the CJ-4 formulations. As far as I know, this specification is partially based on API CH-4, ACEA E5 and Jaso DH-1 engine tests.

Delvac 1300 Super CJ-4 does not list them either. As for transmission spec., where has the Allison C4 gone?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Extreme-Duty

Please someone buy these oils, do UOA and share with us.

Done: Just had a UOA done on my SAAB 9-5. Most recent is with New M1 TDT, prior was with previous M1 TDT iteration.

New M1 TDT UOA

Sorry ... not a comparison of the oils you wanted, but is indicative of the two different M1 TDTs in the same engine.

Last edited:
Link

M1 TDT seems to be getting rave reviews on the TDI forums. Fe wear has been significantly reduced in several UOA's vs the 505.01 oils.

UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back