New Consumer Reports Wax Rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax
2. Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6
3. Eagle One Nanowax

Who cares about the rest.
smile.gif

Consumer reports can say all they want. Much better products out there that they don't test:

For durable sealants that will outlast the ones mentioned above by months:
Klasse AIO and SG
Werkstatt

And these carnubas will out last them too:
FK1 Pink
Collinite

This is not as durable as the ones I mentioned, but it will add incredible shine:
Pinnacle Signature Series

I do the Klasse twins in spring and fall, and currently doing FK1 Pink and 425 for toppers in between for maintaining shine.

Ahoy... thar be waxes and polishes and sealants and who knows what other categories floating around the polish-the-conveyance universe.

What is one's main concern? Protection longevity? Maximum gloss/shine/or whatever term one uses to indicate maximum reflectivity?

So gosh darn many variables involved.

Different environments, differing application methods.

So many variables it makes my convoluted cranial cavity cavitate with caroming conundrums convulsing and cavorting capriciously.

Think I'll just stick with my tried-and-true Liquid Glass.... at least until I decide to use sumpthin' else.

Arrrrrrrr......

Consumer reports, IMO, are really good for consumer stuff such as reliability. However, they are very weak on subective areas such as how a wax looks or even how long it lasts.

Automobiles are a case in point. Their reliability ratings are, IMO, good. But some of the other criteria for making a car drive well or safe are borderline strange and dubious for a 'car nut" to even consider their rankings.

Check out 3M Automotive Products on the web! The company's almost infinite range, variety and effectiveness puts all other detailing company pretenders to shame

quote:

Originally posted by JMG:
Where did you find this information? Is it in this coming issue?

Yes.

Nu Finish can no longer use the "Top Rated" claim anymore .
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bebop:

quote:

Originally posted by JMG:
Where did you find this information? Is it in this coming issue?

Yes.

Nu Finish can no longer use the "Top Rated" claim anymore .
smile.gif

Nu Finish is the only one that can stand up to the brutal sun and pouring ran in Miami.My mons 86 Toyota which sits outside for 20 years now still looks like new.

The ones in the report we tried but did not hold up down here.

To each their own.

quote:

Originally posted by mjpolge:
Hey W8inDe,

Which Collinite are you talking about?

Collinite 476.

I prefer the FK1 Pink wax because it appears to give the paint more depth and luster. But it's probably me. I don't think the difference is very noticeable. Both are very durable and will last months.

I mention the collinite and FK1 because the are very good waxes and more durable than the ones mentioned in this post. They are also reasonably price, ~$15.

I take anything I read in CR with a huge grain of salt. If it were up to them, we'd all be driving frumpy, personality-less cars like Toyota Corollas and Honda Civics. Those are transportation appliances, not cars for people that enjoy driving. Sure, they might be reliable, but I've seen lots of Fords, Dodges, and (gasp!) even GM cars that can get just as many miles out of them as the Japanese brands.

Also...Did you ever notice that lots of times the products that tend market themselves the most heavily also tend to get top ratings in CR? Remember the test on oil fiters where Fram came out on top by quite a large margin? I rest my case.

CR is good for appliances, and that's about it. How do they measure gloss and depth? With a meter
dunno.gif

I love how P21S was rated 3rd in the paste waxes behind Nu Finish and Turtle wax. P21S blows them away.

No offense to you Nu Finish guys, but I wouldn't let it touch my paint. It has a very high solvent/chemical content, that's why it smells so strong; formulated back in the 80s and great for its time, but it's ancient at this point. It's a long lasting sealant, but leaves a plasticy dull shine, and IMO is too abrasive for new paints/clearcoats. Better sealants off the top of my head...Klasse and Werstatt. Much, much better!

quote:

Originally posted by W8inDE:

No offense to you Nu Finish guys, but I wouldn't let it touch my paint. It has a very high solvent/chemical content, that's why it smells so strong; formulated back in the 80s and great for its time, but it's ancient at this point. It's a long lasting sealant, but leaves a plasticy dull shine, and IMO is too abrasive for new paints/clearcoats. Better sealants off the top of my head...Klasse and Werstatt. Much, much better!

I had about 300 coats of Nu-finish on my last car[99 Marquis]and it looked brand new till the day i let it go.

quote:

Originally posted by GT Mike:
Actually, you only had one coat of Nu-Finish on your car. The new coat self-cleans thru the old stuff. It doesn't build up like Liquid Glass or Zaino or a similar product does.

True.
You can't layer cleaner waxes/protectants.

"Some of these products contain abrasives (NuFinish for example) and cannot be layered. Klasse and Zaino are products that can be layered, which is part of their appeal, creating added durability and great shine/reflection. Perhaps their best virtue is their high melting point, above 392 degrees. Your existing wax MUST be stripped off the car before you use a polymer sealant, or it WILL NOT bond. Kind of like applying a band-aid to a finger that has moisturizer on it or is wet"

http://www.fastlouis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1839

quote:

Originally posted by MIAMI-DADE:

quote:

Originally posted by W8inDE:

I had about 300 coats of Nu-finish on my last car[99 Marquis]and it looked brand new till the day i let it go.

300 coats on a 1999? If you owned it for say, 6 years, that would be 50 coats a year. I'm using multiple coats of sealants topped w/ carnubas, and that makes about 12 coats per year. Of coarse, the 6-8 of those coats are purely for depth and gloss.

If you had to use 50 coats per year, it wasn't that good.

quote:

Originally posted by GT Mike:
Actually, you only had one coat of Nu-Finish on your car. The new coat self-cleans thru the old stuff. It doesn't build up like Liquid Glass or Zaino or a similar product does.

All that hard work in the jungle heat for nothing?

Actually, as much as I despise CR, I think they are comparing Waxes that are OTC, rather than boutique or specialty waxes.. Average Joe will just be looking for the best wax he can buy at the local Wally-world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back