Old carnuba paste wax vs Turtle Wax Seal and Shine

Cleaned up front headlights to like new. Had a can of very old garage find Simonize carnuba paste wax and Turtle Wax Seal and Shine sealant. Put the Simonize on one lamp, and the TSS on the other to protect the lights and as a comparison of durability. After about 1 month, was surprised to see the carnuba side was definitely clearer. IMO the carnuba resisted UV better than the new stuff. Just one experiment but perhaps the modern, now much easier to apply, carnuba waxes are more protective than cheap sealants? Project Farm (and others) compared popular sealants but never included carnuba in their testing.

How did you judge the uv protection?

I have wondered how much UV is put out by a halogen bulb ? If the bulb puts out UV can you even protect it?

How did you judge the uv protection?

I have wondered how much UV is put out by a halogen bulb ? If the bulb puts out UV can you even protect it?
True- I thought the same thing. Maybe the headlamp heat itself is degrading the TSS and not the UV. Project Farm or others could do testing that avoids heat, etc effects.
I assumed UV was doing the degradation and judged the carnuba side was definitely clearer. I accordingly assumed it was more protective.

It would be interesting to see a test. We always seem to assume that the one that beads water the longest is the best but maybe the only thing they protect against is water. Carnuba was the bees knees for for the old enamel paints that did not have UV protection built in so maybe the new stuff has forsaken UV protection because the paint and clear has UV protection built in and they just concentrate on being longer lasting.

Interesting read...learned something today, thank you for the question.

• UVA2 and UVB can exacerbate skin disease in patients with lupus, while UVA1 may be protective.
  • The lupus subsets most associated with photosensitivity are tumid lupus erythematosus and subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus.
  • Halogen lamps emit significant levels of ultraviolet radiation and should be doped or covered with glass prior to use.
  • Incandescent bulbs emit low-dose ultraviolet radiation.
  • Fluorescent bulbs emit varying levels of ultraviolet radiation, and patients should strive to use bulbs with the lowest irradiance.
  • Chronic, low-dose UV exposure can cause cumulative skin damage. Additional studies must be done to determine the lowest dose capable of inducing damage in photosensitive patients.

Back