Turtle Wax Passed The Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evenng To All,

I bought TW Super Hard Shell Wax and TW Ice Compound and detailed my car, a 1997 Honda Civic, this past Saturday. I washed it, used the ICE Compound and then finished it with the TW Wax.

I paid $3.92 for the Super Hard Shell Wax and $6.95 for the Ice Compound, a total of about $11 for both products.

I was thinking about what are the important components of a good wax/sealant, here is my list, in no particular order:

1. Ease of application
2. Ease of removal
3. Shine
4. Longevity
5. Availability and ease of buying the product
6. Price

I read and followed their directions for both products. I am really pleased to report that both the compound and wax more than met my expectations on items 1, 2, 3, 5, 6. Item# 4 is unknown, it's too early to tell obviously how durable it will be. I also used the ICE Compound on my headlights, with my Meguiar's DA Buffer, and it cleaned them both to a clear lens - the best results I've had.

If I knew how to post some photos, I would so all could see.

Now with this said, I respect everyone's right to select detailing products they want to use, but I am beginning to think price doesn't necessarily mean a product is the best. I have used Mother's, Meguiars, Griot's products, and they are all very good. But honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between the TW shine vs. the Mother's Carnuba wax product - both are excellent, and I really like Mother's products.

$3.92 wax versus wax that is $20-$100+ --- I am thinking I'd rather have the money in my pocket (I need it to pay my medical insurance premiums that have doubled over the last 2 years!)

I am sure there are some anti-Turtle folks on the board, perhaps even some wax/sealant bigots, who will say the Turtle is junk, that the Turtle caused their paint to fall off their car, that the Turtle turned their white car into green one due to the color of their wax, the Turtle is guilty of all type of high detailing crimes and treason, but I don't buy it.

Long live the Turtle (which I think they do, about 75-100 years for sea turtles).

Anybody agree?

RevRider

I love Turtle Wax products. Some of the best bang for your buck products,and always easy to find.

Find something you like and use it often. Personally not a big fan of Turtle Wax (their chrome polish is awesome though), but then again, on a 97 Civic, I couldn't justify spending much on detailing products either. Glad you got the results you were looking for, that's all that matters.

Fast Eddie, that is a great truth, my car is19 years old, 189,000 miles on it, I get 40mpg, doesn't burn oil, it's my work card.

I have an old bottle of ICE Polish which I didn't like the way it looked on paint. I held onto it instead of tossing it. I tried it on black plastic and exterior trim and like the look of it a lot. I will be buying more for trim once I run out of it.

I view the actual cost of the product (within reason) almost insignificant. (Kind of like house paint). Its your time applying it and how long the product lasts.

Even if the product is $20, how much is that per wax job?

I have little time to spend on detailing, so for me the important thing is ease of application and how long it lasts.

I believe the TW Ice products fit that bill pretty well.

TW Ice Compound seems to be new product. I had never heard it before. TW became infamous when they released "powdered bricks in can" red compound before I was born.

Please give more information about TW Ice Compound. Have you used Meguairs Ultra Compound before? How does ease of application and removal compares with it?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I love Turtle Wax products. Some of the best bang for your buck products,and always easy to find.

I must agree. It may not be the 'top of the line' but it is darn near close and much cheaper than most.

Hi Vikas,

I've used Meguiar's Ultra Compound, and it worked just fine. I would give the edge to the TW Ice Compound on the point it doesn't dry as quickly as the Meguiars, so I found it a little easier to take off.

Both did a good job in cleaning up the paint, no complaints.

Meguiar's got the edge on the viscosity of the product, the TW was thinner, so it took a little adjustment when applying it.

Hope this helps.

The new Ice stuff is awesome! I used the wash/wax, compound, and paste wax on my wife's Pilot a few weeks back, Very nice results with it.

Originally Posted By: RevRider
Hi Vikas,

I've used Meguiar's Ultra Compound, and it worked just fine. I would give the edge to the TW Ice Compound on the point it doesn't dry as quickly as the Meguiars, so I found it a little easier to take off.

Ultra Compound can be a little tricky to the novice and takes a little practice to get the technique down, but once you do, it can't be beat for a OTC product. Same with Ultimate Polish. If people are going to get real serious about paint correction, they are probably going to want to order something better than what you can get OTC.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
Find something you like and use it often. Personally not a big fan of Turtle Wax (their chrome polish is awesome though), but then again, on a 97 Civic, I couldn't justify spending much on detailing products either. Glad you got the results you were looking for, that's all that matters.

I think their chrome polish and car wash are some of the best in the business. Their car waxes are easy to use and look good, but they don't seem to last very long...

There's a lot of competition in the market right now. Online and OTC. Just look how many brands are on Autogeek. It's crazy.

TW had to revamp or die.

Oddly I have used the same products on my vehicles this last week. I used the ICE polish product and regular TW in a can. I liked the polish a lot. Easy on and off without drying up to fast. The older wax I used to put on to thick and was very careful to not put on so much this time. Easy off and I still got the shine I was after.

I have always liked Turtle wax products. To me there is a certain feel when I rub my fingers over the car body I like after doing a wax job that TW has. My opinion is that no other product duplicates this certain tactile feel for me. So I am a TW fan just for that reason alone. I usually wax my vehicles a minimum of two times a year. Sometimes I can get a third wax in.

I also got the ICE detail product. Haven't used it yet but will on the next car washing I do.
I was glad to read your experience with the products. Seems your goals are very similar to mine and TW meets both our needs.

Originally Posted By: grampi

I think their chrome polish and car wash are some of the best in the business. Their car waxes are easy to use and look good, but they don't seem to last very long...

Not many OTC waxes last very long IMO. Turtle wax is a decent line up and great for "most". If I were using mainly OTC products, I would stick with the Meguiars Ultimate line. Great stuff that can somewhat hang with some of the better higher end compounds, polishes and sealants.

Last edited:
Hey MRtv,

Thanks for your response.

I liked your 2nd paragraph, I feel the same way. I'm 59 years old, and I grew up with TW, and Valvoline oil, wisdom passed down from my father..
grin.gif

I love cars of the 60's and early 70's, and I love motorcycles, I have two of them.

I think part of the joy of using TW is it takes me back to the era of a better America, in my opinion. As time marches forward I feel like I am a dinosaur today, about ready to go extinct, one hand on the throttle of my Harley, and the other on my old-fashioned Turtle wax. When I am detailing my cars, or bikes, I forget about the "modern" America and hang out in the past - it was simpler and better then.

RevRider

Yeah I am 66 years come July. I remember going to a local park where I grew up and there were so much shade there. Many of the high school guys would take thier vehicles and wax them in the shade of the redwood trees. It was good times! I was not into cars so much then but I was impressed by how many guys were waxing their cars in the park.

Forward in time and I started taking care of my vehicles and that is when I reached for waxes and started using Turtle Wax. I used others over the years to try them out but kept coming back to TW. It just felt nicer on the car body. Now I am sure there is others that can do this or that better but hey at my age I just stick with what works just fine for me. The cherry on top is that feeling that no other product has ever delivered.

I once did a test. I had three different products which were applied to different parts of the car. As I said none of them gave me the tactile satisfaction the TW did. I used up the others eventually and then moved forward with my favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back