Gearing up for my first detail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, Im getting ready to do my first detail. Ive picked up:

-8 Simoniz microfiber cloths (came in a pack)
-1 Chenille wash mitt
-1 Bug sponge
-Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover
-Turtle Wax Ice car wash
-Huge microfiber drying cloth
-Mothers Clay bar kit
-Turtle Wax Polishing Compound
-Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba Plus (paste wax)
-Turtle Wax Ice liquid wax (kit)

Is there anything else I need, or do I need to do anything to the microfiber towels before I start.

Didn't see buckets mentioned, and maybe a grit guard or two. Pads to apply the polish/wax if you don't already have some. And wheel brush if you plan on scrubbing the wheels. If you have yellowed/fogged headlights maybe something to restore them. That's about what I can remember.

Get rid of that TW polishing compound. The Rubbing compound is rougher, but the polish will still scratch! use Maguire's Ulimate Compund (for rough paint) or Ultimate Polish (for relatively good paint). I think those two products would work better for you.

Oh and yes I have 2 buckets and 3 pads for polish and wax, I dont have a grit guard (Dont know what it is... Ill google it) Headlights are still clear, and my wheels are matte so im not too worried about them

Originally Posted By: wkcars
Didn't see buckets mentioned, and maybe a grit guard or two. Pads to apply the polish/wax if you don't already have some. And wheel brush if you plan on scrubbing the wheels. If you have yellowed/fogged headlights maybe something to restore them. That's about what I can remember.

The nearest place to get the Maguire's Ultimate is 45 mins away and I cant remember if they had it on the shelf, would the TW polish still do a good enough job removing scratches for this detail until I can find another product?

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Get rid of that TW polishing compound. The Rubbing compound is rougher, but the polish will still scratch! use Maguire's Ulimate Compund (for rough paint) or Ultimate Polish (for relatively good paint). I think those two products would work better for you.

A 45 minute drive should be nothing if it means avoiding scratches on your finish. This is made more important by the fact that you don't have a machine DA polisher. Without one, any scratches you introduce via polishing will effectively become permanent.

So I continued on with my planned detail but I tested the TW Polish on the hood, After my test spot I decided to scrap the idea of polishing this go around and continued on with waxing.

For my next detail I will pick up some of the Maguires Polish.

A picture of my Jeep will be posted soon.

kwVjjt6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back