QE re Meguiar's Gold Class Carnuba Plus paste wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I detailed both of my cars over the weekend. Axiom was washed twice (once with purple Simple Green HD (safe for pint and aluminum, then TW Zip wash), clayed with Mother's clay bar kit and finished off with Mother Cleaner Wax that came in a kit. Used Clay bat for a first time, and quite a bit of grime came off, even after two washes.
I wanted to put a second coat of wax/sealant on, but ran out of time between doing two cars.

I had bought a can of Gold Class Carnuba Plus to use from now on (wanted to put a second coat on Axiom). What scares me is that it is supposed to hide swirl marks. Does it mean it has polishing compound in it? I do not want to use polishing agent on a 10 year old car and 6 mo. old van every 2 months. Can I use it on headlights?

I am looking for wax or sealant with maximum UV protection and durability/longevity. Axiom is beautiful blue color and after 10 years in AK with minimum UV exposure paint still looks gorgeous. I want to keep it that way.

Is Carnuba Plus what I need, or should I go with Collonite 845 or Rejex?

PS Axiom headlights have been treated with Meguiare's headlight protector.

T&C was washed twice with TW Zip wash and treated twice with TW Ice spray on wax. Headlights have been sealed with Meguiares and 2 coats of Ice. Treated aluminum wheels with Ice. Can't believe the amount of dust factory brakes produce.

Never saw yellow headlights in AK, see them all over place in GA, and do want it to happen to my cars, so I went a bit overboard with protector + wax.

Any suggestions?

Carnuba wax hides swirl marks by filling them with wax. Wax on wax off in a cool place then park it in the sun and after it warms up glide the polishing rag over it and it will be gleem.

The cleaner wax you have used is far more abrasive than the carnauba. I use meguiar's gold class on my black,9,000 mile Corvette....love it!

You're better off getting the custom-cut LaminX or whatever they call it. It will provide UV protection and stop road tar/bugs from damaging the plastic, and stops rock chips.

I think your system of washing and claying is great. Sometimes a cleaner wax is necessary depending on the strength of the clay but 99% of OTC clays will not mar or scratch your car. If you are looking for the best durability and protection it is hard to beat Collinite. Meguiars is great but Collinite is one of the best out there (in terms of durability with nice shine.)

Axiom has not been hand washed/waxed in years, so it needed cleaning badly, especially after been transported across the continent. Used clay with LOTS of Mother's Detailer's spray that came in the kit. Cleaning Carnuba wax was also part of the Mother's kit.

I waxed by hand, with minimum pressure. Applied with a soft terry cloth in left right/up-down motions. Let is dry to haze (long enough to do the next section). Buffed with a microfiber towel.
It is the first time in 10 years I used cleaning wax on Axiom, and hopefully, the last time.

I need something long-lasting to use thereafter for UV protection, I am not concerned about super-shiny surface.

Clear plastic headlight protectors are not available for either van or Axiom, so I have to use wax/sealant on them.

Originally Posted By: hal2626
The cleaner wax you have used is far more abrasive than the carnauba. I use meguiar's gold class on my black,9,000 mile Corvette....love it!

How long does it last for you?

Ive used Megs gold class on my 98 S10 ZR2 since new. I always use the clearcoat prep and swirl remover and then the wax. I dont have any impression that they have abrasives in it.

Down here in hot & humid GA, your typical store bought car wax will last maybe 4-6 weeks. Some 90F+ heat and a few t-storms and it's gone.

If you have Rejex, that's the way to go. It will last months and is not as affected by heat. Collinite is good too but not as weather resistant as a polymer sealant like Rejex.

On client's cars down here I routinely use Zaino and Blackfire. Nothing beats the gloss and durability of Zaino (short of a coatiing) and Blackfire is easy to use and a good 3 mos of durability.

Waxing is not terribly efficient, truthfully. The synthetic sealants last far longer. They may cost more but even apply and buffing with a random orbital takes time...and if I can do that less frequently, I'm all for it.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Waxing is not terribly efficient, truthfully. The synthetic sealants last far longer. They may cost more but even apply and buffing with a random orbital takes time...and if I can do that less frequently, I'm all for it.

While sealants are great in terms of durability, there arent many that have the soft shine that only a carnuba can give. That's why I recommend Collinite. It's carnuba based but with two coats you will have the same (if not better) durability that a sealant has but also have a better shine that a carnuba can only can give

Thank you all for the advice. I am not concerned about shine nearly as much as I am about durability. With two small kids and a new job, finding time to work on the cars is difficult.

How easy is it to apply Rejex by hand? Any other good polymer sealants I should look at? I am assuming Blackfire is polymer?

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: dparm

While sealants are great in terms of durability, there arent many that have the soft shine that only a carnuba can give. That's why I recommend Collinite. It's carnuba based but with two coats you will have the same (if not better) durability that a sealant has but also have a better shine that a carnuba can only can give

I typically layer S100 carnauba on top of Klasse SG. Best of both worlds. If I'm bored and want that wax look, I can have it.

Klasse is an old favorite. Wolfgang is good too.

There are OTS synthetic waxes like Eagle One Nanowax and Black Magic whatever-it's called. Those are decent too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back