New Commuter Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to go for something different this time. I used it for my commute today, it actually got me there and back
grin.gif

6945025242_9fb2ff4d9d_z.jpg

7091094645_e5bffa4e2a_z.jpg

Sacrilegious on an oil website, I know. Yes, it's an electric motorcycle, a 2012 Zero XU. It's the smallest bike Zero currently has, other than their motocross and dual sport bike; this one weighs 220 lbs, of which the batter pack is about 50 lbs. The frame is aluminum, weighs about 14.5 lbs. It's my first American bike.

This one has a brushless permanent magnet motor, using a 220A 3-phase controller with regenerative braking. It has a lithium NMC battery pack, nominal rating is 2.6 kWh and 66V. Top speed is about 65 mph, but sustained top speed is about 55 mph. Range varies greatly, dependent on speed & accel/decel cycles. City riding it's rated at 42 miles, 50/50 city and 55 mph it's rated at 28 miles.

If you figure a US gallon of fuel has about 33.7 kW of energy, my last ride was about 472 US MPGe, cost at the wall was $0.325, cost at the pack about $0.30.

There are two modes, "economy" and "sport". Sport mode feels quite similar to the CBR125R I had. Economy mode is slower, but keeps up with traffic around here fine (no honking horns, digital salutes etc).

Zero has a couple of other models with larger/more powerful motors and more battery capacity. Their performance is more like a street oriented 4-stroke 250cc single. The other main manufacturer is Brammo. They have a nice commuter bike, the Enertia, and they are bringing to market a more sport-oriented bike called the Empulse with higher performance specs.

Motorcycle Review 2012 Zero DS Review

Cycle World 2012 Zero S Review

The Brammo Empulse reviews should be better, but that bike is going to cost a bit more than Zero's current offerings.

My own review, the XU is light, it feels almost like a self propelled pedal bike. It's almost silent, due to the belt drive and no combustion cycles, but there is a bit of whine from the motor, especially during regen braking mode. There's no shaking/vibrating, no smells. So far I like it, nice upright sitting position, low seat height, but it takes a bit to believe that something powered by a battery can actually move, and to get over the initial range anxiety.

Last edited:
Quick charge to 95% is 1.3 hours, standard charge time to 95% is 2.7 hours. One can ride to work, charge it with 30c of electricity, then ride home. It's a small commuter bike, not a couch on wheels tourer
cool.gif
Hopefully one knows the purpose and limitations of the vehicle before they purchase it. I forgot, one of the best aspects is riding past gas stations
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: sunruh
who has a worksite that will enable you to plug it in all day?

I guess it depends on the organization, some are more open to it than others. There are plenty of buildings installing electric vehicle charging stations.

All this bike needs is a 110/120V 15A outlet, or it has a removable battery pack that you can put on a dolly and wheel inside for indoor charging. The bike has no fluids other than brake fluid, so why not just bring the bike indoors to charge? The wife didn't go for that one...

Very cool.

With over 50% of the worlds population living in cities, these bikes will become more popular.

Originally Posted By: craigq
who has a worksite that will enable you to plug it in all day?

I guess it depends on the organization, some are more open to it than others. There are plenty of buildings installing electric vehicle charging stations.

All this bike needs is a 110/120V 15A outlet, or it has a removable battery pack that you can put on a dolly and wheel inside for indoor charging. The bike has no fluids other than brake fluid, so why not just bring the bike indoors to charge? The wife didn't go for that one...

and the population of your city is??????
if you are in toronto then its big, otherwise tiny.
and i know of no such charging stations at any worksite in my city.
who exactly pays for the electricity to recharge your battery? the company or you?
while i like the idea, i see it taking more than 10 years for this to remotely catch on in any capacity in the usa.

Don't know what's worse, a battery bike or a three wheel "road trike" for those who can't hold up a two wheeler when it stops. The battery job may, at least, replace the "moped", for short hops.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I'm guessing that in a while we'll see metered parking/charging spots, for cars as well as bikes. A little extra $$$ will get you an hour of charging or so.,,

yes, until your cable gets stolen. if for no other reason than the copper in it.

trucks (f150 is the favorite of the year) get stolen out of my works parking lot on a regular basis. they like to use them for drug runs to mexico and back and them dump them.

so stealing your cable is highly possible. or better yet, they recharge what they want and let you pay for it and leave before you get back. thanks for the free electricity!

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Don't know what's worse, a battery bike or a three wheel "road trike" for those who can't hold up a two wheeler when it stops. The battery job may, at least, replace the "moped", for short hops.

Silly motorcycle snobbery at it's best/worst. If a battery bike meets the needs of it's owner, who are you or I to denigrate it? They're still out there on a motorcycle. Likewise for trikes, some people can't hold up or otherwise operate a 2 wheeled bike, I still respect them for going out on the road on something other than a car.

jeff

and the population of your city is??????
if you are in toronto then its big, otherwise tiny.
and i know of no such charging stations at any worksite in my city.
who exactly pays for the electricity to recharge your battery? the company or you?
while i like the idea, i see it taking more than 10 years for this to remotely catch on in any capacity in the usa.

- 1.2 million give or take a few
- I try to avoid TO as much as possible
cool.gif
smile.gif

- the bike can make the round-trip commute, no need for the company to pay.

If they permitted me to I would pay the equivalent of the charging rate at that time of day multiplied by total pack capacity. Perhaps a little bit of profit in there too due to wear 'n tear on the system ?

I fully realize that electric vehicles are not for everyone, needs/wants/requirements etc have to be taken into account. I wanted a new motorcycle, nothing but this really caught my interest.

There are a couple of websites devoted to mapping out the locations of public charging stations
http://www.plugshare.com/
http://chargepointamerica.com

Nice bike, I just saw those the other day on the web. There is a good video of the zero dirt bike on youtube as well.

craig,
dont get me wrong i LOVE the idea. i just dont see it working and the city i live in (bigger than yours) and it is super "green" doesnt even have recharge stations. not even at the workplaces that have solar power for their buildings.
if anything the LEAF's/Volt's and plugin Prius's would help make this happen faster. but i dont see it.

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Silly motorcycle snobbery at it's best/worst. If a battery bike meets the needs of it's owner, who are you or I to denigrate it? They're still out there on a motorcycle. Likewise for trikes, some people can't hold up or otherwise operate a 2 wheeled bike, I still respect them for going out on the road on something other than a car.
Guess YOU are one of the three wheel types, eh?
jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back