New car, same as the old (Prius Prime)

That was a nice deal. I would've considered the prime but the lack of storage space (plus lack of spare tire) ruled it out for me.

Did you ever price out the battery pack prior to purchase? I am at a point on my Prius (214K) where pack replacement is imminent since I am starting to get the occasional rapid cycling of the SOC. The cost of packs for the non-plug in models is somewhat reasonable, but I have not been able to get a price for the Prime's.

That was a nice deal. I would've considered the prime but the lack of storage space (plus lack of spare tire) ruled it out for me.

Did you ever price out the battery pack prior to purchase? I am at a point on my Prius (214K) where pack replacement is imminent since I am starting to get the occasional rapid cycling of the SOC. The cost of packs for the non-plug in models is somewhat reasonable, but I have not been able to get a price for the Prime's.
Pack replacement never crossed our minds. 10 year 150k mile warranty is plenty for us. If the vehicle was worth $0 after 10 years, that's $1700/year in cost. :)
Yeah, on longer trips we'll throw a spare (one of the X-ice) behind the driver's seat. The poorly designed battery pack location that leaves too much unused space underneath, is annoying though. We can still load it up with enough items for camping trips (no kids). Don't want to put anything on the roof and kill the aero, although with a skybox it could replace my wagon for hauling gear duty.
With the rebates/credits I don't see how they sell any regular Prius currently. I think it is simply lack of consumer knowledge (or they don't have $4500 in tax liability, I guess).

With the rebates/credits I don't see how they sell any regular Prius currently. I think it is simply lack of consumer knowledge (or they don't have $4500 in tax liability, I guess).
This will be the first year that I would have that kind of tax load. However my wife has been looking instead at Camry hybrid, as I think she much prefers Camry to Prius, looks-wise, and hers seems to have been ok so far--but it's starting to feel old. On the highway yesterday it just felt kinda... loose. [Right now we can't tell if spring is in the air--but the frost heaves sure are!]

Pack replacement never crossed our minds. 10 year 150k mile warranty is plenty for us. If the vehicle was worth $0 after 10 years, that's $1700/year in cost. :)
Yeah, on longer trips we'll throw a spare (one of the X-ice) behind the driver's seat. The poorly designed battery pack location that leaves too much unused space underneath, is annoying though. We can still load it up with enough items for camping trips (no kids). Don't want to put anything on the roof and kill the aero, although with a skybox it could replace my wagon for hauling gear duty.
Fair enough. I think the current RAV4 hybrid is a better buy than the non plug-in trims of the Prius.

If someone is seeking a ultra-high mpg option then the Prime or Corolla hybrid models fit that space fairly well. I foresee Toyota turning Prius into a niche brand over time.

This will be the first year that I would have that kind of tax load. However my wife has been looking instead at Camry hybrid, as I think she much prefers Camry to Prius, looks-wise, and hers seems to have been ok so far--but it's starting to feel old. On the highway yesterday it just felt kinda... loose. [Right now we can't tell if spring is in the air--but the frost heaves sure are!]
Run the numbers - there are state, utility and other rebates in addition to the Federal Tax Credit. Give the Prime a test drive too. They look much better than a "regular" Prius, in our opinion. The front bumper, rear window/deck, are quite different.
Even if you do go for a Camry, if it is a new one, become an Uber "driver" - as in sign up for it and get approved (costs $30 for a remote inspection) and you'll get $750 Toyota incentive. We did that for both purchases. No need to ever give a ride. Just need "active" status. Stacks on top of all other rebate/cash bonus and negotiations.
I think its hard to pass on a Prius Prime when it costs $10k less than a comparable hybrid. The Toyota cash incentives are quite high for Primes - guess they just don't sell well. $4500 in NE. $4k in SoCal, currently.

I looked but it redirects me to local incentives and there isn't an Uber one for me.

Would have to drive both, see which feels better. But you're right, doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.

Yes, the 4Runner is quite expensive in purchase and feeding. It would stand up to all your miles very well and return a lot of resale. However it would not be my first suggestion when things like Jeep grand cherokee and Durango are so cheap.

An outback XT is what 35k+ with little to no discounts? A GC/durango gets discounted a ton making 40s trade in the 30s. You get a 25 mpg highway pentastar and arguably the best transmission around. Towing caps around 6k lets you tow with more safety and doesnt pigeonhole you into an ultralight.

I guess i just cringe at the thought of towing with a CVT so much that i cannot imagine it lasting a long time.

Heh...

Mentioned this to the wife, so she spent a few minutes perusing the Prime. It does come in Mica, which she immediately liked. Next thing she checked: tire size. Has 15's so it can't be all bad. :cool: I've taught her well...

I guess i just cringe at the thought of towing with a CVT so much that i cannot imagine it lasting a long time.
The Prius "CVT" has like 7 moving parts and is stone-axe reliable.

I imagine towing being hard on the battery, though, as any additional load would be.

The Prius "CVT" has like 7 moving parts and is stone-axe reliable.

I imagine towing being hard on the battery, though, as any additional load would be.

Was talking about the OPs theoretical next car, outback xt, turbo cvt rated to tow 3500lb. I dunno if a prius has any tow rating in the usa.

Back