Just bought a new 2014 Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a new Black metallic SEL Edge with FWD and no additional options. 3.5L V6 engine and black premium cloth interior (couldn't do leather with the dogs). Would have been interested in a 2012 with 34k miles for $20k but it had light interior and it just gets dirty and stains too easy (and even easier with dogs). Dealer was Airport Ford in Florence, KY just south of Cincinnati. All of the dealers in the Lexington area were crooks. Incredibly pleasurable buying experience, if there is such a thing. Started the buying process online with their internet manager, who I think is the son of the owner.

They had to get the vehicle about 150 miles away, near Columbus, OH. One of the reasons we ended our Elantra lease a couple months early was because of the quickly reducing inventory on the 2014s. The dealer took just over $2000 off of sticker (Lexington dealers were "offering" less than $1000 off), and we qualified for $5250 in factory rebates. Sticker was $32,195, so we saved about 23% off sticker. Not too bad. $1000 of that rebate was with financing through Ford (you either got a $3000 rebate or 0% interest, we took the money off the sales price), but they have no early payment penalty so we are going to finance at a much lower rate in a month or two with our credit union which will reduce our payment about $50 per month.

Was really on the fence for getting the 6 cyl engine or the 4 cyl Ecoboost (4 cyl would have qualified for another $500 rebate, but was $995 more on sticker). Glad we went with the 6 after reading reviews on the 4. In fact, after only three years Ford is now canning that 2.0L Ecoboost in favor of a totally redesigned 2.0L, making the new engine standard in the redesigned 2015 Edges. A mfgr doesn't do that unless there are issues (and a lot of people have stated their issues online with this engine, which has been an option in the Edge, Fusion, and Escape since 2012 or so).

Based only on the 70 mile drive home, a few impressions...

The good: Rides really well and feels more like a truck than a car. Engine has plenty of power, 285 HP. Smooth shifts so far (and it has a learning transmission). Just enough technology inside to feel modern yet not be prone to problems like the MyTouch system. Roomy all around. Soft touch materials throughout most of the interior. The interior lighting is really classy and nice. Blind spot mirrors and backup sensors are great safety features.

Bad: Passenger seat fairly uncomfortable (a little hard and it hits my hamstrings in a weird spot), at least I thought so, though my wife thought it was fine. It was originally in our Equinox as well but over time it broke in and is fine now, so I hope the same thing happens with this one. Almost too much adjustability with the power drivers seat making it hard to get a really good seating position, but will get that figured out. The back bench seat doesn't slide forward and backward. Passenger seat doesn't slide back quite far enough as would prefer. Tire pressure monitor doesn't allow for real time tire pressure PSI monitoring, only notifying you if it senses the tires are low.

So far we love the vehicle and are happy with the purchase. We plan on it being a 10 year vehicle. It will be my daily driver for a year, after which time we'll probably trade in our Equinox for a used Explorer or Durango or something and I'll drive that and the Edge will be driven by the wife.

Mostly I like that it is tried and true technology that I don't have to worry about too much, being the same basic platform since 2007 and it has been four years since the 2011 refresh (new engine, and updated interior materials and exterior design in the front). A non-DI engine gives me peace of mind as I still don't trust the technology (our Equinox has one). Our Equinox was one of the first off the assembly line for the redesign (2010 model year, made in March 2009), and was actually made before the vehicle went into full production, and we dealt with a lot of problems (thankfully all under warranty). Hopefully we won't have to deal with the growing pains associated with a new model or redesign.

Now the big question I need to figure out... when to do the first oil change. I'm thinking about 5000 miles with the first tire rotation, thereafter going by the OLM. This first one is probably a little before the OLM would suggest changing it. My 60 qt stash of Synpower I got for about $2.50 per quart from a few years ago is almost gone, and is 5w30 and this vehicle takes 5w20, so I need to figure out what oil to get. Will probably find the best deal I can on synthetic over the next few months and stock up. If I'm at a Menards anytime soon (there aren't any around here) hopefully they will have their QSUD deal going on for $3/qt.

Nice car/Van/ute. I liked them. The awd version is great in winter.
As far as oil if it makes you happy to change early by all means however I sufggest leaving the filter. The media will get loaded and thereby extremely efficient very quickly. Changing it means any new break in materials floating around may not be trapped if very small until the media loads up enough to increase its efficiency.
285hp from a 3.5L is awesome. What kind of torque?

And where's the pics?

It was dark when we took delivery tonight so didn't take any pictures, and not sure how to upload pictures. I think it is 253 ft-lbs of torque.

Also looked on the internet at the Grand Cherokee and Equinox (would have maybe been willing to look at a 6 cyl) and the incentives were awful compared to the Edge. So it made the decision easy on what to get. The wife loves the Edge and has for a while and for most of its life she will be driving it.

Sounds Sweet!
wink.gif

I plan on purchasing an ford edge later this year,cant wait!

Enjoy the new ride!
11.gif

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge

I plan on purchasing an ford edge later this year,cant wait!

Given your username, somehow this doesn't surprise me

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
It was dark when we took delivery tonight so didn't take any pictures, and not sure how to upload pictures. I think it is 253 ft-lbs of torque.

Also looked on the internet at the Grand Cherokee and Equinox (would have maybe been willing to look at a 6 cyl) and the incentives were awful compared to the Edge. So it made the decision easy on what to get. The wife loves the Edge and has for a while and for most of its life she will be driving it.

A grand Cherokee is overkill for typical driving surfaces. The edge is better in the urban environment where you don't need a bush trail capable vehicle.
I thought the edge was great as far as visibility,handles very well and has great road manners.
The edge was on my moms short list when she was buying last year. She had a caliber and it was a decent little car but for her it's too low to the ground,horrible blind spots over the shoulders and brutal gas mileage.
That caliber with its dumb tranny couldn't get 25mpg on the highway with the 4 cylinder engine. My hemi charger gets better highway mileage than the caliber.
IIsn't the 3.5 sixxer the same engine that gets fitted into the evo boost trucks. If so you know it'll be durable considering its NA.
your wife will enjoy the road manners and the roominess. Easy to get stuff in and out of it. Does it have the kick lift gate where you just run your foot in front of a sensor in the rear to open the hatch. That's a handy option.

Despite turbo "ecoboost" engine reliability, it's still far more complex and more little things to break as it ages.

We should enjoy the fact we live on a continent where fuel is still relatively cheap compared with many other countries. As a result purchase NA vehicles.

I'm sure OP will be pleased with the v6. I know that if I were in his shoes, I'd make the same decision

Now the big question I need to figure out... when to do the first oil change. I'm thinking about 5000 miles with the first tire rotation, thereafter going by the OLM.

That oil has been in there a while. If you plan on keeping the vehicle, change it much earlier and get some of those metal flakes out; around 2500-3000 miles. If you plan on trading it in again & don't care much, go the 5000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

IIsn't the 3.5 sixxer the same engine that gets fitted into the evo boost trucks. If so you know it'll be durable considering its NA.

Same short Block, Different heads and Cams,etc.
the NA units are made here in town, along with the FWD NA 3.7(same Block bigger bore, used in lincolns, and available in the Police interceptors), while the 3.5 EcoBoost, and the RWD 3.7(Mustang) are Built in Cleveland.( IIRC the Short blocks for the EcoBoost 3.5 are assembled here, then shipped to Cleveland to be built the rest of the way out.)

and yes, the NA 3.5&3.7 are NOT DI, while the EcoBoost 3.5 is DI.

Last edited:
Yeah, the 3.5 in the Edge is a NA engine. The 3.5 6 cyl in the F-150s is Ecoboost (DI turbo).

Off topic: I saw one of the new 2015 F-150s at one of the dealerships, in a nice dark red color. Beautiful truck. Of course beauty has a price.

Ford is now canning that 2.0L Ecoboost in favor of a totally redesigned 2.0L, making the new engine standard in the redesigned 2015 Edges. A mfgr doesn't do that unless there are issues (and a lot of people have stated their issues online with this engine, which has been an option in the Edge, Fusion, and Escape since 2012 or so).

nice car and good price. the only thing i would slightly counter is ford is notorious for changing their power train at 3 years, or even less. reliability may or may not have had anything to do with it but who am i to dispute internet complainers, i love my purolator classics
grin.gif

Had the n/a 3.7 in a Lincoln we rented recently. I really liked it, seemed surprisingly powerful with a nice linear powerband and a sweet high revving sound.

Good for Ford if they are responding to their issues. The Eboosters are in a LOT of cars and dealing with the problems is simply good business. I am sure there is a bit of "internet amplification" going on...

Was really on the fence for getting the 6 cyl engine or the 4 cyl Ecoboost (4 cyl would have qualified for another $500 rebate, but was $995 more on sticker). Glad we went with the 6 after reading reviews on the 4. In fact, after only three years Ford is now canning that 2.0L Ecoboost in favor of a totally redesigned 2.0L, making the new engine standard in the redesigned 2015 Edges. A mfgr doesn't do that unless there are issues (and a lot of people have stated their issues online with this engine, which has been an option in the Edge, Fusion, and Escape since 2012 or so).

Just so I understand, every engine that has been replaced in the history of automobiles was done so because there were problems with it and not because engines evolve and improve over time which require redesigns too?

Funny thing is, today I was reading a C&D mag, don't remember what month, but the 2015 or 2016 Edge now comes standard with the US made 2.0 Ecoboost. You have to pay more the 6. I didn't really understand Ford making you pay more for the 4 cylinder for '14s anyway. Enjoy the Edge!

I bought a 2011 Edge new and changed the oil first time at 2500.I have used 5w20 Supertech synthetic since the first change.It has the 3.5 and does well with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back