New car, same as the old (Prius Prime)

Swapped out the wife's 2020 Prius Prime LE, for a ...

2021 Prius Prime LE. Same color.

Why? Well, the 2021 finally has Android Auto (LE model only, larger screens do not - yay base model!) and updated safety with Toyota Safety Sense 2.0, which includes lane centering. Also has a surprisingly better driving feel, vs the trade-in with only 15k miles. Not sure if they changed the steering with the updated tech or just new/different tires, or what. (was Dunlop Enasave, now Bridgestone Ecopia EP 422+)

oh and also why: after the Federal tax credit of $4502 and state rebate, we will pocket $1650.
The 2020 cost us $18,729 net, after all rebates, taxes and fees. Got $22k for trade in.

So, our new net cost for the 2021 (after tax credit in a year) will be $17,079 (after all taxes and rebates)
Not sure how you can beat that deal =)

Pics after Collinite 845 wax today. Llumar tint installed yesterday. (above price numbers don't include tint cost - but we also get a new 25k Toyota care and tires with 0 miles vs 15k, so that offsets it fairly well)

Attachments

• PXL_20210220_210713518.MP-001.jpg
    PXL_20210220_210713518.MP-001.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20210220_210757119.MP-001.jpg
    PXL_20210220_210757119.MP-001.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20210220_210821979.MP-001.jpg
    PXL_20210220_210821979.MP-001.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 52
Great color and good look car. (y)

My wheels are starting to turn my lease coming up in 10 months... starting to plan and do the test drive thing... if I stick with Toyota the sales manager usually gets me out 2-3months earlier.

"We'll pay you $1650 to take a new car off our hands and trade yours in--with newer features too!"

What's not to like about it? That is a very nice color--nothing like that old Toyota Gold :LOL:

Let us know how you like the lane centering.

We turned the beeping nannies off for our '19 prius. Our roads are so bad I drive up on the crown quite a bit to avoid sunken, cracked, and potholed shoulders. The car read the road painted lines and did not like what I was up to.

Congrats on your new ride! I like most of Toyota Safety Sense stuff on my Tacoma. The cross spot monitoring when you're backing up is awesome, it senses a car coming across from a good distance. First time it did it I was wondering what was going on and then seen a car fly past me. I do turn the lane departure off as it can be annoying on the mountain and back county roads I drive on. It doesn't correct the steering on the Tacoma, but still annoys the stew outta you beeping.

Let us know how you like the lane centering.

We turned the beeping nannies off for our '19 prius. Our roads are so bad I drive up on the crown quite a bit to avoid sunken, cracked, and potholed shoulders. The car read the road painted lines and did not like what I was up to.
On the drive home (through some LA freeways and light-for-LA traffic) the lane centering was nice. The beeping of the previous version LKA (lane keep assist) was annoying on some roads, but also the fact that it didn't actively steer until you're almost or are out of the lane, ok for accident avoidance, but not really helping for long drives. The new lane centering is much more active and actually feels helpful. And finally having Android Auto - my wife is surprisingly excited to get the same new car!

The other most noticeable change so far, is that the adaptive cruise seems much smoother now - braking and accelerating is more 'human' like (at least the way we drive) and less abrupt.

We like our weekend road/camping trips, and are almost biting at the bit for my VW to get 'old enough' to swap out for a new(er) Outback with all the safety and cruise/drive features. In the meantime, we take the Prime when we have less gear to bring. It makes for a less tiring drive. Usually 60-ish mpg which is great too.

Grats on the new car tax money arbitrage. You wanna ditch your Golf for a subaru of all things? Say it isnt so! Regal TourX has all the nice cruise and lane thingies with the most comfy seats for trips.

Are the new tires any quieter than the old Dunlops?
We don't recall any difference in noise. I had the same Ecopia for my OEM/factory tires on the VW, and they are nothing special, and were insanely horrible in snow, even with cable chains on. Replaced those with Hankook H737 at 48k miles and will be the last tires the wagon needs.

Grats on the new car tax money arbitrage. You wanna ditch your Golf for a subaru of all things? Say it isnt so! Regal TourX has all the nice cruise and lane thingies with the most comfy seats for trips.
Yeah, the extra cargo capacity of the Outback and the ground clearance are calling our name - would be very helpful on some camping trips. Plus the Subaru eyesight will be welcome for long drives.
We'd likely get an XT with the 2.4T and 3500 lb towing capacity for a future lightweight trailer purchase - for longer camping trips when a tent isn't enough weather protection.
Still don't want a truck really; after much though. Prefer higher mpg, smaller size and road manners. Also debating a camper van, but the Outback and trailer seem to be more versatile. Waiting to see what an Outback Wilderness edition turns out to be...

An Outback is just like a more CUV'd version of your Alltrack - giving up some on-road handling for more offroad capability... ;)
Alas, I knew the GSW would be my last manual. Hope that I'll find someone appreciative of it when I sell in a year or two.

Like the PRIUS with A.W.D. when below 40 M.P.H. , https://blog.consumerguide.com/test-drive-2019-toyota-prius-awd-e/ , 51.1 m.p.g. calculated ( real - world fuel economy ) . Tempting with the discounts and gas prices on the rise . Had an '06 ( or was it '07 ) PRIUS and did great in winter with the original tires . Imagine the battery under the rear seat helped traction . Traded it in during Katrina / Rita and got top dollar . Helped to get us out of auto loan debt .

Last edited:
I thought Prius were not known for being good in snow? Traction control too aggressive that is. never had one, so I could be wrong.

Sounds like the OP got quite the deal!

Took it to an empty parking to test the performance during heavy wet snow and couldn't get the rear to kick out :D . I think it had Goodyear tires .

Well, kicking the rear out on corners is one problem; getting started is another! My Camry, I have to work at it to make it swap ends, although it can be wicked fun to do (e-brake turns, felt like such a teenager doing that--and my wife totally enjoyed making fun of me afterwards).

It had Traction and V.S.C.. Sure that helped . May have disengaged the Traction . Too long ago to remember the details .

Sounds like you need a real SUV for all those adventures.
If a 4runner wasn't $40k+ and didn't struggle to get 20 mpg...maybe. The Ridgeline is more likely an option, although not great ground clearance and still too big a vehicle for 95% of the time. Outback should be just right... we'll see. New F150 with the co-pilot 360 2.0 is also cool sounding, but again, crappy mileage and $45k+ for options I'd want.
Not averse to old/used vehicles, but we'd prefer the new safety tech and find it worth getting low-priced new cars. Otherwise a used Tundra or Lexus GX or something. Basically leads to the Outback being the current front-runner. Could change in another 1-2 years, though. They might also have a hybrid or plug-in Outback at that time - who knows!?

Surfstar , keep us updated on gas mileage , etc.. Enjoy !
Hard to track gas/hybrid only mpg with these, except for longer road trips - the EV portion ups our around town mileage big time. Up to 30 miles, so all local stuff can be EV only. Charges 0-100% at 120v in 5-5.5 hours. No need for any 240 upgrade, etc; plus it is much more convenient than a pure EV on a road trip! Great compromise vehicle, that is super cheap to own (thanks to incentives).
We do have a spare set of OEM wheels with X-ice.
Yes.
In SoCal :)
Used them for a snowboard road trip last year, in Feb before Covid hit. SLC, Big Sky, Jackson - car did great in subzero! Averaged 50+ mpg that trip, despite very cold temps. Snow/slush kills the radar cruise control and the other safety braking features unfortunately.

Back