New Car New Oil Changes (Toyota Content)

That Tech has seen it first hand. I'd rather take his word on later Toyota engines, than some know it all keyboard warrior who's never rebuilt one.
AMEN!! And he'll tell you you'll get away with it (10k) for 50k plus miles but by 100k you're in trouble............

Good Morning all. I won't go crazy with introductions but will state that my oil changes across the board have always been with Castrol Edge (formerly Syntec when I began using it). Currently in the garage is a 2012 VW GLI 2.0T running the 5W-40 Castrol Edge High Mileage (146k) and previously our 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L on Castrol Edge High Mileage 5W-30 (205k). We sold the Jeep and brought in our brand new 2021 Toyota Highlander XLE AWD with the 3.5L V6. So far I love everything about this car and it feels like a spaceship compared to the Jeep.

I am about to do the first oil change and was going to stick with Castrol Edge and use the EP gold bottles instead. I'm pretty religious about 5k oil changes and it seems to call for 5W-30 but am happy to hear about alternative oil brands and weights as well as filters. I was planning on grabbing the Toyota OEM filter. I should add we keep our cars (as evidence in the first paragraph) so this will be around for awhile.

Thanks and look forward to the replies!

View attachment 88258
Left front tire looks low.

Question to the original poster.
Are you not taking advantage of your free Toyotacare maintanance?!
you get 2 free oil changes and 2 or 3 free tire rotations!
You get a tire rotation every 5k and an oil change every 10k up to 2 years of purchase and 25k miles

Question to the original poster.
Are you not taking advantage of your free Toyotacare maintanance?!
you get 2 free oil changes and 2 or 3 free tire rotations!
You get a tire rotation every 5k and an oil change every 10k up to 2 years of purchase and 25k miles

Some people prefer to do all of their own maintenance.

10k is too long for a toyota. i tried stretching oil changes to 10k with mobil 1 and the oilwas EXTREMLY dirty and the filter was roached! now do 5k and oil looks much better and filter is so clean looks like you could use it again. the key to long timming chain life is usually shorter oci . always use the toyota filter. they dont cost any more than one from auto parts store.
As far as the oil choice and timing chain wear I just found this info.

But OCI is important above all as far as timing chain wear IMO.

Sometimes chasing the best oil goes out of balance that affects something else. Phosphorus is a anti wear additive, ZDDP too. Low SAPS has affects on valves and piston.

Last edited:
The BITOG obligatory response to short OCI of “what a waste” is narrated by the voice of Mr. Krabs from Sponge Bob in my head…

“What-ah waste… Argh argh argha rghargh!”

I can’t NOT hear it.
I know it's more than a year down the road. I also can't NOT not hear it, "cheap insurance" drivel. All car makers would love us to believe severe service. Almost every car in America is severe service yet I don't see blown engines laying by the wayside, at least not where you or I have driven. Nonsense.

Original post #1 says new owner plans to use 5W30.
The owners manual at page 502 of 568 says to use 0W20 (or 5W20 if not available) .... NOT 5W30. Copied and pasted:

Engine oil selection“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity. Oil grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20 ... SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather
LINK:

Last edited:
As is always the case it’s recommending a grade and does not preclude the use of others. Cold starting is related to the winter rating.

And is also always the case the recommendation is based on fuel economy which is tied to their CAFE award letter requirements. Never on a technical basis other than if one uses an oil that’s too thin.

A 30- or a 40-grade oil isn’t going to harm that engine in any way. Film thickness protects, not harms.

the way Toyota defines special driving conditions aka severe service, if you drive “Mostly” in those conditions, short trips are defined as less than 3 miles I believe with temperatures below freezing.
Over the years I have come to believe the 10k interval is most likely on the very Conservative side Because Toyota is a very conservative automaker.

As is always the case it’s recommending a grade and does not preclude the use of others. Cold starting is related to the winter rating.

And is also always the case the recommendation is based on fuel economy which is tied to their CAFE award letter requirements. Never on a technical basis other than if one uses an oil that’s too thin.

A 30- or a 40-grade oil isn’t going to harm that engine in any way. Film thickness protects, not harms.
Yeah Mobil 1 0w40 works fine in all GRs

OP, nice vehicle. I work for a competing brand but no doubt the 3.5L Highlander will last as long as you want it to or until you decide something else is in order. I wish more manufacturers followed Toyota with their direct injection AND port injection.

In my few months here I've noticed that many members fall into 2 camps: A) Strategizing just how long they can run an OCI and trying to push the leading edge of the boundary to eek out every last penny of their investment. B) Those that change well before it's even a concern that they may reach the 50% life of their oil and/or filter. I fall into the 2nd camp because, like you, way back in the day when I was a new driver almost 30 years ago my dad told me to change the oil in my economy car every 3k miles on the dot. Back then, prior to using synthetics that was actually very good advice. Given the advancement in synthetics and engine tech, oil changes with normal use can go 4-5 times that amount; but old habits are hard to break. I decided all of our cars now and the past few I've had over the last decade I do 5K OCIs just because it's easier to keep track of for me simplistically - change it at 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, etc on the odometer.

Being here and learning (boy is there a lot to learn!) for me is a hobby. I don't expect miracles using one formula to the next. Your Toyota is more durable/reliable than probably the vast majority of new cars out there so use what you wish but also realize that you could get away with going 2-3 time as long. If you *really* want to go down the rabbit hole, start reading the threads on @High Performance Lubricants; I did 2 months ago and now have a closet full of their products for mine and my wife's car even though we do 5k OCIs on both. So because of that I probably get more than my fair share of eye rolls here; so be it. Learning and experimenting are the fun part to me about this board.

Back