New Car New Oil Changes (Toyota Content)

Why would the factory recommended OCI scare a lot of people? Why do people think they need to run 5W-40 HDEO in everything? All good questions.

I certainly don't. I found the 5W-40 GIII was much more shear prone than 15W-40 GII. At least in a shared gearbox - wet clutch application.

Yes, and even for severe service they opt for conservative oci's, they know it can go longer. Why would they lean towards the car buying public's favor?
There is also competition. When price shopping for cars consumers are looking for lowest cost to maintain, they need to be in line with the competition. Toyota also has life time AWS ATF fluid, which many know is a BS.

Good Morning all. I won't go crazy with introductions but will state that my oil changes across the board have always been with Castrol Edge (formerly Syntec when I began using it). Currently in the garage is a 2012 VW GLI 2.0T running the 5W-40 Castrol Edge High Mileage (146k) and previously our 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L on Castrol Edge High Mileage 5W-30 (205k). We sold the Jeep and brought in our brand new 2021 Toyota Highlander XLE AWD with the 3.5L V6. So far I love everything about this car and it feels like a spaceship compared to the Jeep.

I am about to do the first oil change and was going to stick with Castrol Edge and use the EP gold bottles instead. I'm pretty religious about 5k oil changes and it seems to call for 5W-30 but am happy to hear about alternative oil brands and weights as well as filters. I was planning on grabbing the Toyota OEM filter. I should add we keep our cars (as evidence in the first paragraph) so this will be around for awhile.

Thanks and look forward to the replies!

View attachment 88258
Mobil 1, Castrol, NAPA, super tech or even Kirkland synthetic 0w20

Regarding the video from the Car Care Nut, I wish he would have talked about the hybrid variant of this new engine (A25A-FXS).

I wonder if he would still insist on a 5,000 mile OCI on a hybrid vehicle where the engine is off for a significant amount of time.

There have been times when I am sitting in traffic just creeping along... and I look down to discover my engine has been off for the past 25 minutes.

Surely this has an impact on the OCI, right ?

Why do we debate so much on what others do or don't do with their money? I use Amsoil SS 0W30 in my 2020 Tundra with a 7500k OCI. Sleep well at night and do Blackstone every other oil change. It could be overkill or not. Will let cha know in several years :)

Your bubble is about to pop. In some new Toyotas, including the AWD Prius, the rear axle is electronic. No driveshaft or xfer case is required.

Gosh. I wonder what could go wrong with THAT idea. I won't be driving one of those in Alaska...

Ditto @PimTac
Personally I would invest in a MityVac and do 5K services, swapping the filter every 2nd service.
That's what I do will my cars.
If you're advocating for 5k oil changes it surprises me that you wouldn't change the oil filter too. Anyway, 5k oil changes seem like a waste especially on a easy wearing engine like yours unless you're short tripping a lot.

If you're advocating for 5k oil changes it surprises me that you wouldn't change the oil filter too. Anyway, 5k oil changes seem like a waste especially on a easy wearing engine like yours unless you're short tripping a lot.
That's the thing the majority short trip and especially a gdi engine which makes it much worse. I highway my port injected truck and can get 10k out of the euro or hdeo in them. At 322k so far on all original internals with hardly any notable compression loss or oil burning. But i short trip my gdi 2021 escalade a ton and hardly take it on the highway so i change the oil in it every 4-5k.

Reactions: FZ1
The BITOG obligatory response to short OCI of “what a waste” is narrated by the voice of Mr. Krabs from Sponge Bob in my head…

“What-ah waste… Argh argh argha rghargh!”

I can’t NOT hear it.
Oh god, i said it in his tone and speech pattern now and i'll never get it out of my head.

10k is too long for a toyota. i tried stretching oil changes to 10k with mobil 1 and the oilwas EXTREMLY dirty and the filter was roached! now do 5k and oil looks much better and filter is so clean looks like you could use it again. the key to long timming chain life is usually shorter oci . always use the toyota filter. they dont cost any more than one from auto parts store.

Regarding the video from the Car Care Nut, I wish he would have talked about the hybrid variant of this new engine (A25A-FXS).

I wonder if he would still insist on a 5,000 mile OCI on a hybrid vehicle where the engine is off for a significant amount of time.

There have been times when I am sitting in traffic just creeping along... and I look down to discover my engine has been off for the past 25 minutes.

Then you come up on the six month OCI time interval.

Depends on how you drive.

Plus, regular hybrids have a relatively small battery, so even in city driving, and with a very light foot, the engine will kick in to charge.

At highway speeds, the engine is providing power to the wheels also, unless you're driving downhill and depending on the grade and speed, you may be in EV mode, hybrid mode, or engine braking mode (where the engine is on providing engine braking).

So, Toyota still does mileage based intervals, because there are too many variables to consider.

The day I changed oil it was about 50°. I drove to the store and back 9.5 miles each way. All I did was park, get the ramps, drive onto the ramps and grab the proper tools and paper towels. . The 10 min I quoted earlier was probably 6 or 7 min. in reality. I put on gloves and the oil was about the temp of "very hot" bath water. My guess was it was about 120°. Didn't notice any fuel smell in the oil.

Where you really notice the distribution effect is when you want heat, you can shut off the passenger side and the heat on the drivers side gets warm noticeably faster. According to "The Car Car Nut" this engine is sending oil to various places when the computer thinks it needs more or less. There are no belts on the engine. The video is a good explanation of this new generation engine. It is made in 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5L sizes.
Either AMD is wrong or Toyota is wrong, as Toyota does show a serpentine belt for the A25A-FKS

But not the A25A-FKE, since the usual stuff that would be driven by a serp belt, are electrically driven (AC compressor) or provided by the Hybrid system

Back