New Car 15K Substitute dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tire's Plus has the entire maintenance schedule out of Mitchell on demand, verbatum, item by item out of my owner's manual for every maintenance item and interval. Hyundai Stealer wants $172.00 to do the 15K. Only "work" is the oil change and rotate the tires using a standard Ingersol air-ratchet, but they won't knock any off owing to the fact that I already OCI'd to PP. The rest is inspect this, inspect that. Basic stuff for the 15K.

Tires Plus wants $67.00 to change the oil, rotate the tires and inspect the items on the list of 15K maintenance tasks. They certify the report, and it's supposed to be equivalent, legal and completely in compliance with the manufacturer's warranty. They knock $20.00 off if they don't changed the oil. These doods even take a dial-indicating torque-wrench to the lugs, Mitchell says 122 inch-pounds, these guys seem really good.

Question is, am I sacrificing my warranty if TiresPlus does this work?

no as long as whatever fluids they use are up to Hyundai spec you are good.

122in/lbs for lug nuts??? are you sure cause thats only about 11ft/lbs. most hyundais i do are around 80ft/lbs.

Is that spec? Or what you do? Not hasslin, understand, just asking.. If it's 80 Ft/lbs., I'll make mention to them.

15K fluids change is only an oil change, which I've just done, Pennzoil Platinum/Purolator L24458.

Tx, BD!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by toocrazy2yoo:
Only "work" is the oil change and rotate the tires using a standard Ingersol air-ratchet, but they won't knock any off owing to the fact that I already OCI'd to PP. The rest is inspect this, inspect that. Basic stuff for the 15K.

Tires Plus wants $67.00 to change the oil, rotate the tires and inspect the items on the list of 15K maintenance tasks. They certify the report, and it's supposed to be equivalent, legal and completely in compliance with the manufacturer's warranty.

Question is, am I sacrificing my warranty if TiresPlus does this work?

You can do the work yourself, sign and date the owner's manual (or create another record), and not invalidate the warranty. You trust yourself more than them, right?

Well, yes, and as a practical matter, they'll let me in to snoop around, but it'd be better to have it up on the lift. Some of the items relate to the Cat, the heat shields, and some other stuff down there that are extremely impractical to get to from the ground. I want these things looked at, but I really resent $172.00 for an oil change, which I've already done, and a tire rotation from the Stealer.

It's a good point, Tosh, but the fact that it's been looked at by a mechanic on a lift will carry more weight than me pencil-whipping the checklist, which, truthfully, I believe is what the mutts at the Stealer would do in any case. I racked this mileage up in only 5 months, those dudes will see it roll in there nice and clean, and check it all off and that will be that. Bet they'd "forget" to do the rotation, they did that to my old Elantra.

What a thing, not to trust the mopes that sold you the car..

I dont do none of the scheduled maintance on my dakota. jsut change the oil and plugs and air filter. did get the tranny served but as far as the shceduled maintance no never and never had a problem with getting warranty work done. not only this vehicle but fords and hondas and mazdas to name a few. they never ask if I ever done it. I take it in and dthe fix the prob and not drill me on when I did this or that. guess if the vehicle looks well maintained they dont bother.

quote:

Originally posted by Dark Jedi:
I dont do none of the scheduled maintance on my dakota. jsut change the oil and plugs and air filter. did get the tranny served but as far as the shceduled maintance no never and never had a problem with getting warranty work done. not only this vehicle but fords and hondas and mazdas to name a few. they never ask if I ever done it. I take it in and dthe fix the prob and not drill me on when I did this or that. guess if the vehicle looks well maintained they dont bother.

I agree 100% I'm the same I do my own work. I'm ASE CERTIFIED, but they can't make you have them do the work somewhere ANTI-TRUST LAWS must apply.

Please understand that a lot of the reason that stealerships strongly recommend these services is so they can find something that isn't covered under warranty and charge you to fix it....like a dented heat shield, or something trivial like that. Doesn't need to be replaced, but I guarantee if they do their inspection and find that, they'll recommend it be replaced. It's all about revenue for them, even though a car really shouldn't need any in-depth inspecting at 15K.

If you've done your own oil change, give your tires, belts hoses and fluids a quick glance and save yourself some $$. Brakes should not even need attention at this early mileage.

If you find a belt, hose, etc that looks suspect, get it fixed. If they found it, they'd suggest fixing it at your expense anyway, so nothing is different.

Well, actually, I've already changed out the swill in the gearbox, the radiator and the oil several times in 15K. The belts are like new, the brakes have lots left on them, and everything under the car is pretty tight. OCI this week was PP 10W30 with a Purolator filter. Should hold me till the winter..

All I need now is to get the tires rotated and the items checked off. These are certified mechanics, not Hyundai factory-trained, but for a simple check for 15K, more than adequate. To pay the dealer all that money is stupid for such a simplistic pencil-whipping when I don't even need them to change the oil...

Thanks all!

quote:

Originally posted by toocrazy2yoo:
Is that spec? Or what you do? Not hasslin, understand, just asking.. If it's 80 Ft/lbs., I'll make mention to them.

15K fluids change is only an oil change, which I've just done, Pennzoil Platinum/Purolator L24458.

Tx, BD!
cheers.gif

forget the exact spec. its something close to that. i just do whatever the printout i get on each car says to do.

for my car, i do all the maintainence myself. Im ASE certified. mine is way out of warrenty, especially now where the brakes, and most od the suspension are aftermarket. i did all the maintainence on my moms car when it was in warrenty. i actually did over what Ford wanted on her car. i would take it in to the dealer only when i didnt have time to work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back