New Bridgestone Weatherpeak Tread Depth Under Spec

I just purchased Brdgestone Weatherpeak tires from my local Discount Tire. I chose these based on the Bridgestone website information and a few other sites on the internet. I really like the wet weather performance potential, especially as these are on my wife's Toyota Camry. After reading the warranty information, I was curious about the tread depth specification, which is 10/32 according to the Bridgetone website. So I measured the tread depth when I got home. I have a tire tread depth gage, and two other quality scales and all 3 agree with each other. I know how to measure accurately.

I was surprised that the tread measured consistently at 9/32. That might not seem like much difference, but Bridgestone (and the other tire manufacturers) make a big deal about tread depth in regards to warranty and proration. I replace tires at 4/32 based on the old Tire Rack braking study and personal experience. So out of 6/32 of wear available from the spec (10/32 - 4/32), I actually only have 5/32 of tire wear available (9/32 - 4/32). The best braking should be with the max tread depth (10/32), so I am losing out on that first 1/32 as well. I thought I would get other BITOGers thoughts before taking this to Bridgestone. Perhaps I am being OCD overboard here. Thoughts?

maybe one groove is slightly deeper? sounds shady though.

If this was michelin many would be bashing for sure.

Maybe have them note that your tires started at 9/32 on your paperwork

Most of the all-weather types seem to wear pretty fast.. so in 35k when you hit 4/32 hit them up for half your money back towards new ones? since they have 70k warranty.

I bet if these were on a heavy minivan they would never make it even close to 70k.

it does suck you lost the best 1/32 of your tires before you even drove on them.

Last edited:
I measured the depth on all four lengthwise treads on each tire. All were 9/32.

Regarding warranty and prorating, if you start out "short" (at 9/32 instead of 10/32) you do get a bit of benefit on the proration amount. But you have to pay "The appropriate taxes, mounting, balancing, disposal fees, and other service charges may be added to the replacement price." (from the Bridgestone warranty manual). Those costs outweigh the little bit of extra proration amount for sure. Also I don't want to be going back to get a new tire prematurely because the manufacturer didn't give the amount of tire tread they say they do.

usually DT will let you use the proration towards another tire (even brand) if you have good reason.

They let me use the pro-rated credit from my defenders that wore out in 23000miles towards some excellent continentials.
Those were some sad tires the defenders 90k treadlife warranty were outlasted by some michelin xi2's for treadlife.
IIRC it was about 70$ Out the door after the credit and rebate. on the contis.

I've been super impressed by the continential vikingcontact7's on the elantra .. might be my new favorite tire brand.

usually DT will let you use the proration towards another tire (even brand) if you have good reason.

They let me use the pro-rated credit from my defenders that wore out in 23000miles towards some excellent continentials.
Those were some sad tires the defenders 90k treadlife warranty were outlasted by some michelin xi2's for treadlife.
IIRC it was about 70$ Out the door after the credit and rebate. on the contis.

I've been super impressed by the continential vikingcontact7's on the elantra .. might be my new favorite tire brand.
I don't want another tire, I just want to get what the Bridgestonne specs say I should have. And I don't want to pay the installation charges again. Maybe they won't charge that now if I swap them now, but down the line they sure are going to charge it when the tires are worn out prematurely.

The tires have 17% less usable tread than what the specs say. 1/32 (9/32 actual versus 10/32 spec) divided by 6/32 (10/32 spec - 4/32 limit). I consider the tires worn out at 4/32.

Or if you go to the full worn-out limit the manufacturers use (2/32) then the tires have 12.5% less useable tread. 1/32 (9/32 actual versus 10/32 spec) divided by 8/32 (10/32 spec - 2/32 limit).

Maybe this is looking at fly specks but it still bothers me.

they probably have a 30day guarantee.. but I'd probably just run them this time.. might be the best tires ever.

Complain to Bridgestone/ask them why it's only 9/32

DT staff probably won't be able to help you with a problem like that :unsure:

DT will let you swap to something else. You’ll pay or get back the difference. or they might check other models to see if it’s across the board. I’ve read that tire construction is far less precise than we think it is, and is still a bit of an art in manufacturing.

Is the 10/32 the spec for your actual sized tire? Sometimes the depth will change depending on tire size.

Also make sure you’re not using the mm side of the tread depth gauge.

A couple of thoughts:

Sometimes the "spec" is for an uninflated tire and sometimes for an inflated one. It is common for inflated tires to give less TDR.

Also, is it possible the value is really 9.5 (or something similar)? Maybe in mm? 9/32nds = 7.1mm, where 10/32nds = 7.9mm and 9.5/32nds = 7.5mm

OK, starting out I have to admit when I said "I know how to measure accurately" that I was a bit big-headed as I found out. I had to go back to DT today to get the other 2 tires installed as there was a little mixup and they only had 2 tires the other day, instead of 4. I talked to the DT manager (great guy) about the tread depth and he said let me get my depth gage. So he comes out with a Longacre 52-50560 Tread Depth Gauge. He said DT corporate sent those out a couple years ago so they could measure the tread depth very accurately, as the tire companies would fuss if the depth DT reported on a warranty claim was different than the manufacturers measurement of the worn tire.

So he measures the tires and they come in at about 9.6 to 9.9 32nds. He said this is typical, though there was a case or two a while back when the depths were short by about 1/32.

The measurements were on a tire not yet mounted. I should have had him measure after mounting the tires, but I left as they were super crowded. When I got home I pulled out some dial calipers and measured and came out with about the same range on the mounted tires. I should have used the dial caliper in the first place as it is much more accurate than what I had used before. It is a bit tricky to use the calipers directly on the tires and I found it best to use it the measure the cheap tire depth plunger type tool length. Also, the bottom of the tread is somewhat rounded and you have to be careful getting the tool into the lowest part of the tread.

So it is a little low, but not drastically and I am fine with it.

Is the 10/32 the spec for your actual sized tire? Sometimes the depth will change depending on tire size.

Also make sure you’re not using the mm side of the tread depth gauge.
10/32 is for my specific tire size on the Bridgestone website.

Specs from the Bridgestone site

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 7.06.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 7.06.32 PM.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 48
I have Bridgestone RE97AS tires on my GTI. I recently had to replace one and it measures about 9/32”. Various online sources say it should have 11/32”. So I agree that we are not going to get as much tread life with these Bridgestones.

Back