New brake pad and rotor installation questions

rcs

Hi Guys,
I am going to have new brake pads and rotors installed. What questions should I ask of their procedure? I saw a video from South Main auto channel
on YouTube, he really did a great job. But he was naming parts that I am not familiar with. So should I ask them if they clean the areas before they put the new
parts on etc? ( disclaimer,...I know that statement may not make sense , but being a gal it is the best way to describe it)
Thanks in advance for your time and help. A friend help me to choose Dynamic Friction Geo Kit 5,000 ceramic pads and coated rotors from Rock Auto.
I had Akebonos on prior to this and they were okay. But honestly I think they are too small for the weight of my Honda Pilot 2015. I don't think the OEM ones are even good enough. The ones I choose seem to be beefy. If they don't work out , I can always go back to the Akebono's.

Ooof, I guess you could ask their procedure(s) but that can be pretty broad....I mean do they clean the wb hub at the rotor mounting face, do they clean and file under pad sliders etc but then there's slider pin boots, slider pins themselves, even caliper bracket mounting face.

I guess I'd ultimately reco 2 options to maintain your sanity:
1) find a well-respected larger shop and trust the professionals do to their job
2) find a really small shop -- likely a one person operation -- who is happy to chat with you and explain everything and show you old parts, etc. One reason my customers like me is because I have no problem showing them old vs new and explaining the theories behind certain mechanical principles. I have a lot of female clients for that reason, ie they know they can trust me.

Larger operations can't always take the time and shouldn't necessarily be expected to. If you're dealing with a service writer that's even one more step removed from the guy (or gal) laying hands on the parts.

I don't think a shop will be receptive to ask detailed questions about what they clean and lube (with what lube).

You can request they use new hardware (like SS clips) with the new pads.

I like Akebono Pro Act ceramic pads. Good stopping with low dust.

Now if you could talk mechanic lingo well enough to convince the mechanic you knew what you were doing with respect to brakes and were really trying to get tips to maybe do it yourself in the future, then you might have more success.

I think it comes down to how much you trust the shop. They will tell you they clean and grease the parts that need it.

Oh I get it guys...it is really not customary to grill them on their work ethics. I just want a good job, and no cutting corners. The last brake job I had
they did not attach the clips correctly. That rattling
I think it comes down to how much you trust the shop. They will tell you they clean and grease the parts that need it.

drove me crazy. I will not be taking it back to that shop. I was just going to go to the dealership. They will put on the supplied pads and rotors that I purchased.

Thanks for your help. I was hoping to get to know more of the lingo, and not get snowed over.
I don't think a shop will be receptive to ask detailed questions about what they clean and lube (with what lube).

The kits I purchased have all the SS clips and hardware. That is why I liked the kits from Rock Auto :)
No guessing. I think the last brake job that was done the mechanic used the old clips (OEM) with new pads.

I also think some shadetree mechanics (anal ones) do a better job than a lot of shops as they take more time to clean everything and grease the areas requiring lubrication.

For example when one of the pins is rusty does the shop wire brush off the rust (not proper) or call the parts store and wait for new pins. Do they clean out the bore the pin goes in along with the rubber boot?

I also think some shadetree mechanics (anal ones) do a better job than a lot of shops as they take more time to clean everything and grease the areas requiring lubrication.

For example when one of the pins is rusty does the shop wire brush off the rust (not proper) or call the parts store and wait for new pins. Do they clean out the bore the pin goes in along with the rubber boot?
Yes! Donald! That is exactly what I am talking about. It may take a little more time, and I am willing to pay for that time,...but to me those are the
things that count for a great job. Thanks for mentioning that.

Find a one man shop that is busy and you can always see review on google, etc.
If they are bad, you know but take it with the grain of salt when reading review.
They usually do a better job than a large chain shop like Firestone, etc.
Ask first if it is ok to bring your own part.

Around here, there are shop that just doing brake like Brakes Plus.
The mechanics are expert in brakes since that is what they do a lot.

Find a one man shop that is busy and you can always see review on google, etc.
If they are bad, you know but take it with the grain of salt when reading review.
They usually do a better job than a large chain shop like Firestone, etc.
Ask first if it is ok to bring your own part.

Around here, there are shop that just doing brake like Brakes Plus.
The mechanics are expert in brakes since that is what they do a lot.
Thanks for the idea. I am searching now for such a place in my area 👍

Oh I get it guys...it is really not customary to grill them on their work ethics. I just want a good job, and no cutting corners. The last brake job I had

drove me crazy. I will not be taking it back to that shop. I was just going to go to the dealership. They will put on the supplied pads and rotors that I purchased.
Not every shop likes people to bring in parts and they may charge a higher hourly rate. I try and only bring in parts that are higher quality and would take time for the shop to get.

There are anti rattle clips and the SS clips that the pad ears slide in.

One more thing if you are in a dry hot place like southern California you have little to worry about as far as proper cleaning as there will be little rust. On the other hand if you live in the rust belt where they dump on salt on the roads in the winter then brakes may need to be cleaned and lub'ed yearly.

One more thing if you are in a dry hot place like southern California you have little to worry about as far as proper cleaning as there will be little rust. On the other hand if you live in the rust belt where they dump on salt on the roads in the winter then brakes may need to be cleaned and lub'ed yearly.
Yes Donald I am in Michigan, the rust belt. Thank you for your reply, I did not know that the brakes needed to be cleaned and lubed yearly. My regular mechanic never mentioned that to me. I will mention that to him when he does my oil changes and tire rotations, it doesn't sound like it is too hard to do.
I did find a shop that only does brakes and mufflers, so I will have them do the job, or the dealership, I have to decide. They come highly recommended. They were okay with me supplying the parts, pads and rotors. The dealership was okay with that also, but they don't guarantee the work. I have to clarify that with both of them,... if they don't guarantee the parts, I understand, or the job they are going to do? My regular mechanic, " For example when one of the pins is rusty does the shop wire brush off the rust (not proper) or call the parts store and wait for new pins. Do they clean out the bore the pin goes in along with the rubber boot?"
As you mentioned this before Donald this is great information and attention to detail, that I would hope the brake shop or dealership will do. I know for sure my regular mechanic does not do this. This is the kind of information I was seeking when I posted this question.

Also I don't know if the dealership does the "embedding" ( not sure if this is the correct term) after they have installed everything. Hopefully they would, but I am not sure if that is asking too much.

Yes Donald I am in Michigan, the rust belt. Thank you for your reply, I did not know that the brakes needed to be cleaned and lubed yearly. My regular mechanic never mentioned that to me. I will mention that to him when he does my oil changes and tire rotations, it doesn't sound like it is too hard to do.
I did find a shop that only does brakes and mufflers, so I will have them do the job, or the dealership, I have to decide. They come highly recommended. They were okay with me supplying the parts, pads and rotors. The dealership was okay with that also, but they don't guarantee the work. I have to clarify that with both of them,... if they don't guarantee the parts, I understand, or the job they are going to do? My regular mechanic, " For example when one of the pins is rusty does the shop wire brush off the rust (not proper) or call the parts store and wait for new pins. Do they clean out the bore the pin goes in along with the rubber boot?"
As you mentioned this before Donald this is great information and attention to detail, that I would hope the brake shop or dealership will do. I know for sure my regular mechanic does not do this. This is the kind of information I was seeking when I posted this question.

Also I don't know if the dealership does the "embedding" ( not sure if this is the correct term) after they have installed everything. Hopefully they would, but I am not sure if that is asking too much.
It's called "bedding". Not all pads need to be bedded. I do not believe Akebono ProAct ceramic need to be bedded for example. I think it's more for pads meant for the track.

It's also hard to find a good road to do the bedding if you choose to do it. You don't want to get a ticket for going to fast nor piss off drivers behind you by slowing way down using the brakes. And once every thing is hot you need to drive to cool then down with coming to a stoplight or stop sign where you are forced to come to a complete stop.

It's called "bedding". Not all pads need to be bedded. I do not believe Akebono ProAct ceramic need to be bedded for example. I think it's more for pads meant for the track.

It's also hard to find a good road to do the bedding if you choose to do it. You don't want to get a ticket for going to fast nor piss off drivers behind you by slowing way down using the brakes. And once every thing is hot you need to drive to cool then down with coming to a stoplight or stop sign where you are forced to come to a complete stop.
Thank you for the clarification. I purchased the Dynamic Friction Geo 5000. The reason why I went with those instead of the Akebono ProAct, is because the Dynamic Friction are bigger pads. "The Critic" on this website has used them also, with no issues.
The bedding is not something I would do. I have read about it.
I would hope the mechanic/tech doing the job would do that. I thought perhaps I read somewhere if not done correctly it can really mess up your rotors and or pads. Not sure if i have that correct either, but I know it is an important procedure.

IMO bedding is less critical for "normal" pads.

Another fan of Akebono Pro Act ceramic pads.

Back