New BMW X3 M40, INSANE power delivery (2024)

We need examples of cars in these discussions 🧐
If I’m reading your message correctly we agree, it’s the whole package which BMW delivers. (Mentioned in another post to someone above)
I really don’t know. I don’t pay attention to 0-60. It is impressive result, don’t get me wrong.
But, next time you drive it pay attention on 40-80mph acceleration or 60-100mph. That is where the game is.
Generally, BMW has more efficient transfer of power to the wheels. Dyno results always show BMW’s putting more power to the wheels than competition. Wngine is perfected as they refused to go cheap with V6 when Mercedes did etc. although V6 would fit better in BMW handling philosophy bcs. it would allow them to execute better weight distribution.
Considering latest developments in EU, ICE is here to stay longer than what many anticipated and probably longer than what BMW anticipated, which is 2050. The way they execute PHEV models, especially X5, might be indicative of BMW’s in 10yrs. And they execute them really well.

I really don’t know. I don’t pay attention to 0-60. It is impressive result, don’t get me wrong.
But, next time you drive it pay attention on 40-80mph acceleration or 60-100mph. That is where the game is.
I will never do a 0-60 run, but merging and passing happens all the time.

I will never do a 0-60 run, but merging and passing happens all the time.
And the numbers that engine, especially mild-hybrid put are insane in elasticity category. Mild-hybrid wasn’t really put to aid start (it helps) but to aid passing, merging etc. where one needs all power and aids mpg.

It’s a mild hybrid right?

BMW does engines very well and they are often better performers than pure numbers would suggest.

However if you think that was insane a GT500 or demon would make your head explode.
Yeah, BMW tends to "understate" their engines' power. My B58 engine is rated at 340hp. Others with the same car have had their cars dyno'd and the results typically show that the engine is really producing close to 380hp, using a 15% driveline loss of power. I've owned 5 bimmers over the years, and every time I walk into the garage to use the car I smile. I've owned the car for 6 years!

Yeah, BMW tends to "understate" their engines' power. My B58 engine is rated at 340hp. Others with the same car have had their cars dyno'd and the results typically show that the engine is really producing close to 380hp, using a 15% driveline loss of power. I've owned 5 bimmers over the years, and every time I walk into the garage to use the car I smile. I've owned the car for 6 years!
Not really, the B and S 58 seem to be a huge underrate, though, for sure. Best engines BMW has ever made. Even Toyota buys them.

Another perspective; Car and Driver tested a 2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe and the Wrangler ran a 14.1 second 1/4 mile at 96 mph. I got my license in 1973 and it looked like future cars would be slower and less entertaining than the muscle cars and sports cars of the '60s. If someone had told me back then that that in 2023 I could buy a 5,300 pound Jeep that could run with all but the fastest muscle cars AND return 50 mpg I would have wanted to know what he had been smoking.

Reactions: Ws6
We had a 2019 X3 M40i as a trade in a few months back and I drove it to lunch one day. When I floored the throttle at 30mph and it rocketed forward I laughed like a school boy. The B58 is one of the best non-super car engines out there.

I think you’d be disappointed in the supercar era of the 60s and 70s compared to most any modern car that isn’t an econobox. Nostalgia makes for fond memories but those cars were not very fast.

Cool X3. A coworker just got an X7 M60, it’s sweet and pretty darn quick itself for its size.
Maybe not but they would throw you back against the seat.

And the numbers that engine, especially mild-hybrid put are insane in elasticity category. Mild-hybrid wasn’t really put to aid start (it helps) but to aid passing, merging etc. where one needs all power and aids mpg.
It's about passing strict Euro emission standards and avoiding taxes in Europe. It doesn't do a hill of beans for passing. It does help smooth the auto start/stop and with economy around town as well as low speed turbo lag. It does allow the engine to shut off and "glide" from 15-99mph. Basically, it's an economy enhancer and tax avoider.

2022 X3 M40i:
Power: 382 hp @ 6500 rpm
Torque: 369 lb-ft @ 1800 rpm
C/D TEST RESULTS
C/D TEST RESULTS

60 mph: 4.1 sec
100 mph: 11.1 sec
1/4-Mile: 12.8 sec @ 107 mph
130 mph: 21.2 sec
Results above omit 1-ft rollout of 0.2 sec.
Rolling Start, 5–60 mph: 4.9 sec
Top Gear, 30–50 mph: 2.5 sec
Top Gear, 50–70 mph: 3.1 sec

2018 X3 M40i:
Power: 355 hp @ 6500 rpm
Torque: 369 lb-ft @ 1520 rpm
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 11.2 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 21.0 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.3 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.8 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 3.4 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.0 sec @ 107 mph

The differences are right what they should be with the hp delta.

Rio, Rio! OK, to make you feel better, since your "contribution" is all about that, Sorento.
blah blah blah. We get it, the BMW is quick for an ICE SUV, for sure! It even handles pretty good. Nothing at all wrong with it. Your "contribution" is just conjecture about stuff like the 48V hybrid system that you made up because it sounded good to you.

It's about passing strict Euro emission standards and avoiding taxes in Europe. It doesn't do a hill of beans for passing. It does help smooth the auto start/stop and with economy around town as well as low speed turbo lag. It does allow the engine to shut off and "glide" from 15-99mph. Basically, it's an economy enhancer and tax avoider.

2022 X3 M40i:
Power: 382 hp @ 6500 rpm
Torque: 369 lb-ft @ 1800 rpm
C/D TEST RESULTS
C/D TEST RESULTS

60 mph: 4.1 sec
100 mph: 11.1 sec
1/4-Mile: 12.8 sec @ 107 mph
130 mph: 21.2 sec
Results above omit 1-ft rollout of 0.2 sec.
Rolling Start, 5–60 mph: 4.9 sec
Top Gear, 30–50 mph: 2.5 sec
Top Gear, 50–70 mph: 3.1 sec

2018 X3 M40i:
Power: 355 hp @ 6500 rpm
Torque: 369 lb-ft @ 1520 rpm
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 11.2 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 21.0 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.3 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.8 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 3.4 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.0 sec @ 107 mph

The differences are right what they should be with the hp delta.
European emissions are same for 2018 and 2022, Euro 6.
Check numbers you quoted again as obviously mathematics is not your strong suit.
Also, company that makes them says differently than Sorento crowd: https://jalopnik.com/2023-bmw-330i-330e-m340i-specs-photos-driving-review-1849741804

Last edited:
blah blah blah. We get it, the BMW is quick for an ICE SUV, for sure! It even handles pretty good. Nothing at all wrong with it. Your "contribution" is just conjecture about stuff like the 48V hybrid system that you made up because it sounded good to you.
Before you start talking emissions, familiarize yourself with same. And you are still driving Sorento, Euro 6 or not.

Back