New BMW Oil (0-40)????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the local dealership picking up some Castrol TWS 10-60 when the parts guy brings out never before seen BMW 0w-40 oil in error.

The bottles were Euro.-look (at their tranny lube) and said "made in Germany" on the back. He didn't know anything about it...guessing it was for the new 5 series. So much for the 5-30 A3 stuff....and the GC 0-30 replacing a 0-40...

I was this close to buying it, but stuck with the 10-60...they were supposedly priced the same ($13.60/L). Anyone know more about it?

I've read here that the 0-30 is supposed to be more like a 40 when hot. Maybe this the same oil packaged differently?

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
It's probably rebottled Castrol Formula R 0w40.

Which looks like a good oil, but honestly, it's not going to be worth double the price of Castrol 0w30, which is $6.66 per liter here. This 0w40 (if it's Formula R) is supposedly around 12.8 or 12.9cst at 100c, so it's just a tiny bit thicker than GC at 12.2. So you could substitute the thinner GC in cars that would normally run this 0w40 I bet.

I just want to know if it replaces the sludge-forming BMW 5-30 synthetic that was NOT up to the task for 10k mi. intervals...

In either case, my car is running better and better with the 10-60 with ea. tankfull....

The 0w-40 is going to be an upgrade for those who get the free oil changes with the 5w-30. I can see it now, if you want the free oil change you get the cheap stuff, but for an extra $40 we will give you the stuff you should have.

BTW, BMW dealers have been raping customers for oil changes lately. I have been reading about $200+ quotes. It is really sad how the dealers are, especially when you consider that a Service II (BMW 30,000 major service) is $400 from a local shop and includes trans fluid, rear diff fluid, plugs, etc..

Cary

Patman,

The HT/HS viscosity of the Castrol R, 0w-40 is 3.6 Cp ...Since it's a 0w-40, it won't be shear stable. You are much better off running the Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30 - it holds up like a rock in extended drain use.

Tooslick

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Patman,

The HT/HS viscosity of the Castrol R, 0w-40 is 3.6 Cp ...Since it's a 0w-40, it won't be shear stable. You are much better off running the Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30 - it holds up like a rock in extended drain use.

Tooslick

GC 0w30 is also at 3.6 for it's HTHS too. If this oil is simply GC with a tiny bit more VII, it should be pretty shear stable too though. Although like I said, why bother with this 0w40 when GC is so close in viscosity and costs half as much?

The update on the 0-40 from another dealer I visited today is that it is being made available due to a TSB (Factory Bulletin) to resolve ticking, clatter and/or valvetrain compaints from customers. I'm assuming in cars that use the BMW 5-30 synth (all models) as the M models specifically require the 10-60. He assured me it wasn't a direct replacement for the 5-30, nor was it specifically for the new 5 series. Guess it's just another band-aid to get people through the end of the warranty period...

Very intersting....

No, this particular parts guy (I've dealt with him before) is a complete d*ck...I will try to verify further...

I called the BMW dealers in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV and both say that Castrol 0W-40 synthetic oil is not used by BMW in the USA. I don't know if they really know anything or they are just saying this because they have not seen it before.
dunno.gif

[ November 18, 2003, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

The bottle was badged "BMW Oil 0W-40". It did NOT say anything about being made by Castrol or anything to that effect. A "made in Germany" BMW product. I'd have to get the part # for ya...should have written it down
pat.gif

Castrol makes all BMW branded oils. There are 2 Longlife-01 BMW oils: 5W-30 and 0W-40, 1 Longlife-01 FE: 0W-30 and 1 Longlife-98 oil: 5W-40.
If the oil you've seen was a BMW branded oil it only means that it finally made it to this side of the pond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back