New Amsoil SS 0w16

No PDS yet.

1711472571526.jpg

Should have picked a different color label than green, similar to the 0w-20 color.
I guess a different color cap (black) helps?

Last edited:
I'm not in favor of that.

All the Signature Series labels should be the same color.
Same with all XL Series grades the same color....
Same with all Euro grades the same color
Same with Extended Life oils the same color
.... etc.....etc.

I don't want to walk into an Amsoil Oil Section and feel like Lucy with kaleidoscope eyes.
Keep things simple Amsoil. No rainbow-like eye strain please. The next time I need-me some Euro oil, I don't want to regret not bringing my sunglasses.

Last edited:
Meh doesn't matter much to me but I get it. I think the green is indication of "fuel economy" grade. But a different color would have also been fine.

I'd like to see someone run this for 25K miles, using only one AMSOIL oil filter, in their 202x Toyota Venza Hybrid. That'd be so cool! I would definitively geek out reading the UOAs, provided samples are taken every 5K miles. 😅

Would likely be a 20 grade at that mileage.
Things like soot, fuel dilution, and sump size, are out of the motor oil's control. Toyota makes pretty conservative NA engines, that's why I mentioned it. I wonder though if the sump size would allow for the oil to be run for so long. AMSOIL blends excellent products, though I wish they would do a better job educating the public on how to practice extended OCIs correctly.

Would likely be a 20 grade at that mileage.

Very likely, especially since the difference between a 0w16 and a 0w20 really isn't that far off and it wouldn't take much for a 16wt to thicken up slightly and become a 20wt. I've mentioned this a few times but M1 0w16 is only 0.6 cst lower at 100c than M1 0w20 (7.6 vs 8.2) In reality, most engines won't know the difference between the two viscosities, it's that small. I'm honestly not even sure why they came out with 0w16. (it's also odd because 16wt and 20wt are overlapping viscosities, many oils could technically be labeled as either a 0w16 or a 0w20 given what their viscosity at 100c is)

Makes me wonder if some auto MFRs will back spec to this weight oil. I had Ford Taurus that Ford did a back spec to 20wt from 30 wt.
I have a car now with 20 wt, maybe they will back spec to the 16 wt?

Things like soot, fuel dilution, and sump size, are out of the motor oil's control. Toyota makes pretty conservative NA engines, that's why I mentioned it. I wonder though if the sump size would allow for the oil to be run for so long. AMSOIL blends excellent products, though I wish they would do a better job educating the public on how to practice extended OCIs correctly.
Good points, I agree. In a GDI engine it's tough. Long sustained highway miles is your best bet, but even in some instances with certain engines, it's just not doable.

I'm honestly not even sure why they came out with 0w16.
Because it crosses the minimum HTHS threshold of 2.6 cP. That's what was deemed safe for most engines before, as 5W-20 has been around for ~40 years. In fact, the first 5W-20 was actually a 0W-20, but that's a different story. That's why 0W-16 and bellow motor oils also get their own ILSAC logo and classification.

Back