New Amsoil 5w-40 AFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mean to rag on Amsoil per se. I meant all these boutique oils such as Red Line, Royal Purple, etc.
They all need to put their money where their mouth is.

Pablo, I believe you metioned that the ACEA spec isn't a test or liscence deal.
What do you mean by that? ACEA doesn't actually test oils? Why don't most makes state that there oil passes the ACEA requirements if it's that simple?

quote:

Originally posted by CosmicFlash:
I didn't mean to rag on Amsoil per se. I meant all these boutique oils such as Red Line, Royal Purple, etc.

Cosmic,
I didn't mean to pick on you. I only highlighted your quote because I recall you had a VW and I just wanted to address the VW warranty issue.
smile.gif

Hi,
VeeDub - I posted this elsewhere here(Valvoline-Amsoil thread) but it is worth stating it here again;

Begins -

"at various locations here this is a live issue with denials that warranties are jeopardised etc.
The other conversation is under the new Amsoil 5w-40 heading

In various replies from marketers here NO acceptances were made that engine manufacturers are serious over the words meets, is certified or is "Approved" and etc!

The following extract from Detroit Diesel's "Lubricating Oil, Fuel and Filters" 7SE270 booklet leave no doubts and when engines like I use cost $A40k+ you learn "THE RULES" real quick

Extract from "API Symbol" (page 6 ):
Starts;

".....A marketer is required to license his oil with API in order to display the symbol.
Beware that some marketers may indicate that their products "meet" API requirements.
This is not adequate.
Only oils licenced by API should be used in Detroit Diesel engines.

Ends

So commercial users like me will NOT use products that may cause any conflict with suppliers particularly when extended warranty periods are involved

Finishes!

Regards
cheers.gif

Doug

quote:

How does the Amsoil 5-40 stack up with Mobil Truck & Suv 5-40...any opinions...

Mobil 1 SUV, if it is Delvac 1, is among the best oils available in the world. It's a 26% ester/74%PAO based oil and has millions of miles of usuage from trucking companies and meets the most demanding manufacturer specs.

Amsoil's 5w-40 looks very good as well. A recent VOA shows high levels of calcium and some other good qualities. They are a toss up but we won't know until the UOA's start comming in.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
There are a number of European engines built in the past ten years that recommend 5w-40 as a primary grade. These include all the European OEM's and specifically the newer TDI/CDI diesels. I think you'll also see light truck diesels move to 5w-40.

I've seen Mercedes using 0w-40 in a couple of their engines, but 0w-30 and 0w-40 are still not common grades and the "0wt" is a hard sell - even to engineers. Recommending 5w-40 for older engines that speced 5w-30 or 10w-30 originally is more easily accepted ...

Finally the shear stability of all the 0w-40's I've seen is terrible in high performance applications. It makes much more sense to formulate a 4.2 Centipoise, shear stable, 5w-40 than a 3.6 Centipoise, 0w-40 that shears.
Any of the ACEA "A3/B4" rated, xw-30 synthetics will give you an equivalent HT/HS viscosity of 3.5+ Cp. The ACEA, A3/B4 rated, 10w-30's in particular are much more shear stable than any 0w-40 ...

Shoot i got the 5w-30 hdd oil for my cdi, is that ok for 6,200 miles drains??

Metroplex, it has been known for quite some time that DC does not have a MB 229,4. This specification keeps coming up in conversations here because it is such a embarassement that a company that doesn't get their oil certified also has the audacity to claim that their oil meets specifications that aren't even in existance.

Amsoil needs to take immediate action to remove that faux paus from their specification sheet and also to correct the spelling of Peugeot on the label of the 5W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back