New 2024 Toyota Tacoma

Looks like it wasn't the ADD, and Toyota replaced the whole front diff so they could study it

The A.D.D. mechanism is part of the front diff housing/assembly, on previous Toyotas with A.D.D. I assume it is on the 4th gen Tacoma, too.

It would be great if a Toyota Engineer elaborated on exactly what failed.

I had a 2014 Taco as a company truck and loved it with the 4.0 liter . When I was due to change 3 years later they had gone to the 3.5 which was not as appealing. Still driving the 2017 Tundra I chose instead.

Paco

We have about 5 or 6 on our lot now. So far not a single one has sold after a few weeks in fact salesman reports they have gotten laughed at and sold a bunch of 2023 models and used models. We have 5 different packages too so far. I think by far the white base model looks the worst lol I had to do a PDI on it. I dig the wheels but that’s it. Just glad the cartridge filters are gone now. Haven’t seen a manual one in person yet though.

I've owned two Toyotas in the last 31 years (in sig). I wish that they would break out of their "safe" thinking and have a section of the company put some more zing into models. Make a Tacoma/Tundra that would compete with the Raptors. A turbo V6 for the Tacoma similar to one would probably fly off the lots. Or just have it as an option which I think would be popular. They built the LFA at who knows how much to R&D. Money being left on the table, IMO.

I've owned two Toyotas in the last 31 years (in sig). I wish that they would break out of their "safe" thinking and have a section of the company put some more zing into models. Make a Tacoma/Tundra that would compete with the Raptors. A turbo V6 for the Tacoma similar to one would probably fly off the lots. Or just have it as an option which I think would be popular. They built the LFA at who knows how much to R&D. Money being left on the table, IMO.
Agreed.
The Japanese auto companies have never been able to obtain a large percentage of the domestic truck market. In addition, the domestics always come out ahead with head to head comparison reviews.

I test drove a TRD Sport 6MT the other day. VERY nice driving experience.

It looks like they got rid of that accumulator thingy from the 3rd gen Tacoma. I had a 3rd gen MT briefly and really didn't like that MT at all as it seemed impossible to get into gears smoothly no matter how you tried to feather out the clutch after a gear shift. The clutch in this truck was easy, the shifts aren't too long, and I don't see the rev hang to be a problem. You may think differently if you're trying for performance and are trying to accelerate and shift as fast as possible. Engine had plenty of power (it makes its peak torque at 1700rpm), and I think Toyota fixed the undriveability of the 3rd gen where the engine and the transmission hated each other in the automatics. I had the windows down slightly, and while some won't be able to get over the sound of a turbo I4 (the Colorado engine sound wasn't good as well, IMO), you could definitely hear that turbo under normal loads, which I thought was cool. Bottom line was I didn't want to take the truck back to the dealership. I would buy one based on that test drive, although I know the price point is going to turn many people off. But that seems to be the story with all new vehicles these days...

It looks like they got rid of that accumulator thingy from the 3rd gen Tacoma. I had a 3rd gen MT briefly and really didn't like that MT at all as it seemed impossible to get into gears smoothly no matter how you tried to feather out the clutch after a gear shift. The clutch in this truck was easy, the shifts aren't too long, and I don't see the rev hang to be a problem. You may think differently if you're trying for performance and are trying to accelerate and shift as fast as possible. Engine had plenty of power (it makes its peak torque at 1700rpm), and I think Toyota fixed the undriveability of the 3rd gen where the engine and the transmission hated each other in the automatics. I had the windows down slightly, and while some won't be able to get over the sound of a turbo I4 (the Colorado engine sound wasn't good as well, IMO), you could definitely hear that turbo under normal loads, which I thought was cool. Bottom line was I didn't want to take the truck back to the dealership. I would buy one based on that test drive, although I know the price point is going to turn many people off. But that seems to be the story with all new vehicles these days...
Everybody pretty much deleted that stupid accumulator. What WAS Toyota thinking??

I wouldn't say 3rd gen is undriveable..........come drive my MT! (agree on the AT w/o tune)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My question: Is 4th gen using the same rear diff and front shell diff?

The engine sounds very diesel like, especially when cold. I actually like the sound.

Your experience mimics mine on the 3rd gen manual. Part of the reason I traded it in on my 2024 Tacoma.

I think they knocked it out of the park with the drivetrain combo. Mine is automatic, but it is nothing like the 3rd gen. Shifting is much better and more predictable. I have about 500 miles on my SR5 so far.

Everybody pretty much deleted that stupid accumulator. What WAS Toyota thinking??

I wouldn't say 3rd gen is undriveable..........come drive my MT! (agree on the AT w/o tune)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My question: Is 4th gen using the same rear diff and front shell diff?

Well they still howl at speed so that got that going for them :ROFLMAO:

The engine sounds very diesel like, especially when cold. I actually like the sound.

Your experience mimics mine on the 3rd gen manual. Part of the reason I traded it in on my 2024 Tacoma.

I think they knocked it out of the park with the drivetrain combo. Mine is automatic, but it is nothing like the 3rd gen. Shifting is much better and more predictable. I have about 500 miles on my SR5 so far.
I can’t wait to ditch my third gen. It just doesn’t make financial sense to do so yet. If my financial plans materialize I might be trading for a Tacoma Trailhunter or new Land Cruiser.

I can’t wait to ditch my third gen. It just doesn’t make financial sense to do so yet. If my financial plans materialize I might be trading for a Tacoma Trailhunter or new Land Cruiser.

Yea, I will admit they're stupidly expensive, but I think that goes for all new vehicles. I wouldn't have done it if they didn't knock $2,000 off the TSP like they did.

This must be the stupidest video these clowns ever made.

I want my 25+ minutes back. Really dumb waste of time.
There is one potential takeaway from this and it's a sore subject for me because Toyota deleted the transmission cooler after 2019 on the last generation Tundra and I can easily pull temps of +225F just driving on the highway unloaded. The fact that this was 1500lbs under its tow rating and the transmission almost overheated after 2 miles is concerning to me. Does Toyota have a habit of undercooling transmissions in vehicles where towing is likely?

There is one potential takeaway from this and it's a sore subject for me because Toyota deleted the transmission cooler after 2019 on the last generation Tundra and I can easily pull temps of +225F just driving on the highway unloaded. The fact that this was 1500lbs under its tow rating and the transmission almost overheated after 2 miles is concerning to me. Does Toyota have a habit of undercooling transmissions in vehicles where towing is likely?
I think in general. The 2.2L I4 that I had was known for oil sludging, but only after the decided to drop the oil cooler that they used to have on it.

No idea on why they dropped it on the Tundra trans though. Those decisions aren’t made in a vacuum, but it really bucks conventional thought.

That said, I want to say that 225F sounds stupid hot but isn’t the devil it used to be. I wouldn’t want to push those temps and think it of “lifetime” fluid, though.

Back