New 2024 Toyota Tacoma

That was painful to watch. The guy in the Tacoma has no clue how to drive on ice. Locking the rear diff on an off-camber, icy trail, is the last thing you want to do. The vehicle will just slide to whichever side the road/trail is sloped, as we saw...

The weak link in the front drive should be the CV-axles. If what broke was anything that should be more substantial in strength, Toyota has problems. The strain on the front drive was minimal in that video. It makes me wonder what the truck was put through previously, if anything, which potentially weakened whatever broke.
Seems like it was the front diff or maybe the Tcase. Some people are hung up on the tires though, ignoring the fact that drivelines usually break when traction is gained, not lost.

That was painful to watch. The guy in the Tacoma has no clue how to drive on ice. Locking the rear diff on an off-camber, icy trail, is the last thing you want to do. The vehicle will just slide to whichever side the road/trail is sloped, as we saw...

The weak link in the front drive should be the CV-axles. If what broke was anything that should be more substantial in strength, Toyota has problems. The strain on the front drive was minimal in that video. It makes me wonder what the truck was put through previously, if anything, which potentially weakened whatever broke.
The truck had like 3000+ miles. I highly doubt they could have done some serious damage before.
As for traction, BFG TrailTerrain emphasizes ice performance at detriment of wet performance. And this video shows how crappy AT tires are in snow/icy conditions. But yeah, there is nothing here that should result in that damage.

The truck had like 3000+ miles. I highly doubt they could have done some serious damage before.
As for traction, BFG TrailTerrain emphasizes ice performance at detriment of wet performance. And this video shows how crappy AT tires are in snow/icy conditions. But yeah, there is nothing here that should result in that damage.

Supposedly it ran trails around Moab prior to this. Having wheeled on the trails around Moab, you can easily break things. Or weaken parts which are then on borrowed time.

I imagine what broke will eventually be made known.

Should, I would think. When I had my Tundra, the non-tow package had this, and it was thermostatically controlled. On mine, I had the tow package, with a big cooler, and there was still a t-stat. For fun one day I stuck a pin in, as required for doing fluid changes, just to see what would happen if I forced it into using the cooler "always". Warmed up much slower, but I don't recall if it impacted torque convertor lockup or not. Decided to leave it alone, while not lifetime the old advice about fluid temperature don't apply like they used to.

On mine I could only access (on my Scangauge) the convertor outlet temperature. I'm not sure if the temperature spike there should be feared or not. But yeah, I could see 230+ with stupid ease in that truck on hills with the TC unlocked. Sad thing is, I swear, I could get better mpg if I forced a downshift before the hill and then carried it with the TC locked...
My 2017 Camry has this hockey puck, I just drained ATF hot after driving to brothers, waited till it cooled then refilled and set level with ATF fluid at 100* farenhieght using Bluetooth app. Is it possible I'm low on fluid now because the hockey puck thermostat closed after my drain?

My 2017 Camry has this hockey puck, I just drained ATF hot after driving to brothers, waited till it cooled then refilled and set level with ATF fluid at 100* farenhieght using Bluetooth app. Is it possible I'm low on fluid now because the hockey puck thermostat closed after my drain?
Maybe? really need to go by the procedure.

If in doubt, start a new thread, that will get a better answer from those in the know.

Supposedly it ran trails around Moab prior to this. Having wheeled on the trails around Moab, you can easily break things. Or weaken parts which are then on borrowed time.

I imagine what broke will eventually be made known.
Their VW Touareg they bought for $4,000 went through Moab, all famous Colorado trails, and never got stuck.

Their VW Touareg they bought for $4,000 went through Moab, all famous Colorado trails, and never got stuck.

There are all sorts of trails around Moab, some far more challenging than others. Each trail has obstacles which can be taken on different lines increasing or decreasing the difficulty. Some obstacles challenge certain wheelbases more than others, then there are approach, departure, breakover angle, and ground clearance which can favor one vehicle over another. THEN there is the factor of different drivers, who may be more or less skilled, or simply have a different driving style...

In short, making a blanket statement that one vehicle ran Moab trails without problem, while another MAY? have had a problem, doesn't mean anything unless all factors are taken into account.

There are all sorts of trails around Moab, some far more challenging than others. Each trail has obstacles which can be taken on different lines increasing or decreasing the difficulty. Some obstacles challenge certain wheelbases more than others, then there are approach, departure, breakover angle, and ground clearance which can favor one vehicle over another. THEN there is the factor of different drivers, who may be more or less skilled, or simply have a different driving style...

In short, making a blanket statement that one vehicle ran Moab trails without problem, while another MAY? have had a problem, doesn't mean anything unless all factors are taken into account.
Sure, I get your point. But, if nothing failed there, and failure of part is due to abuse at Moab or elsewhere, simply, material is not of required quality.

Sure, I get your point. But, if nothing failed there, and failure of part is due to abuse at Moab or elsewhere, simply, material is not of required quality.

Maybe. But anything can be broken when Fourwheeling. Even light Jeeps running swapped-in Dana 60's or stronger, with stock power, can still have failures on Moab trails...

It's not hard to break a stock vehicle while Fourwheeling.

Maybe. But anything can be broken when Fourwheeling. Even light Jeeps running swapped-in Dana 60's or stronger, with stock power, can still have failures on Moab trails...

It's not hard to break a stock vehicle while Fourwheeling.
I know a lot of vehicles fail at Moab. But not in these conditions. Especially when tires don’t have traction.
i have seen JEEP’s breaking axles in snow. But heavy lifted JEEP’s, amateur work.
I know fourwheeling is demanding. So is tracking, and here I am on original axles, clutch, TC etc. on BMW.
Quality. It won’t be too long before things start to catch up with them.

I had a Toyota Hilux back in the day. Great truck. Considered a Tacoma numerous times, but always preferred the 4Runner. This latest Tacoma with the Turbo I4, I am following as the next gen 4Runner will supposedly have the same powertrain.

I'm not pleased that there may be an issue of durability with the powertrain, as the 5th gen 4Runner has proven to be very durable.

Back