New 2010 Honda Accord V-6 Uses Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still has factory fill in there as Honda suggests breaking in until OCM indicates a change for proper cam break-in. (i-Vtec/VCM...3/4/6 cylinder staging)

5,000 miles/50% on OCM

Has used a quart so far and oil "looks" pretty decent and I just check on gas fill up and top off.

Sound about right?

A quart in 5k on a brand-new engine sounds like a lot, to me.

I know some cars 'settle down' after break-in, hopefully this one does, too!

sounds high. never had consumption at that kind of rate unless there was a leak.

In which they will tell the OP that using oil is normal and an indication of highest Honda quality...

Seriously, if they say it is normal Id make a stink about "Honda quality". Our integra didnt burn a drop over 7500 mile OCIs when we sold it with nearly 190k on it... And Im sure our 1.8L integra spun a bit faster under all conditions than a V6.

My '09 subaru has used 1qt every 3k-4k since new. I wouldn't worry about the consumption yet being a new vehicle. I would find a honda message board and see if other new accord owners have experienced the same thing.

Oil consumption on the 3.5 isn't unheard of.

Of course, I don't have a Honda, but on our Altima the oil was about 1/2 qt low after 1500 miles, but then the consumption stopped and has not returned.

consumption during break in is normal. dealers will not do anything other than note it. it should level out as you do more oil changes.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
sounds high. never had consumption at that kind of rate unless there was a leak.

was your integra a 5spd or auto? what were your driving habits?

Last edited:
I've had 4-cyl Acuras and Hondas and they all burned about 0.5 quart per 6000 miles. How hard are you driving the car?
What does the owners manual say?

there should be no problem.
My accord V6 J30A5 has little consumption during break-in (about 1 quart but didn't bother to add) and never after, even 6k miles between oil change(MM down to 10%)...

My 2006 4 cyl Accord used about a half of quart the first 5,000 miles and then not a drop since. 65,000 total mileage with 6,500 +/- oil changes since going to synthetics at 15,000 miles.

is this your first time checking the oil? they come off the truck about half a quart low due to being completely dry and i don't think honda compensates for the oil filter, part of our pdi inspection is to top off all fluids including oil, it may just have been missed.

Hi I don't have accord. I do have 2010 honda pilot, about 5000 miles. When I check oil, it is just about lower mark. I will changed my oil according to MM. which will be at 8000-9000 miles.

I don't feel comfortable driving when oil level at lower mark. So I will probably buy cheap dino 5w-20 and put 1/2 to 1 qt.

I wouldn't accept an engine that uses any oil at all... I just don't see it as necessary for today's technology and this whole 1 quart per OCI is just sloppiness on the MFG's part as far as I'm concerned because my 320K KM (192K mile) Santa Fe doesn't use any noticeable amount on the dipstick even with fuel dilution going on. (Yes the level rises as it gets diluted with fuel)

Not much you can do about it. In my case, I was unaware that the vehicle would consume oil when I bought it, and my consumption is well below the 1qt every 1,000mi limit.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I wouldn't accept an engine that uses any oil at all... I just don't see it as necessary for today's technology and this whole 1 quart per OCI is just sloppiness on the MFG's part as far as I'm concerned because my 320K KM (192K mile) Santa Fe doesn't use any noticeable amount on the dipstick even with fuel dilution going on. (Yes the level rises as it gets diluted with fuel)

I agree, newer engines should not use measurable amount of oil between OCI's, 1/4 qt to 1/2 qt per 10k miles is okay, more than that is not acceptable. The older engines with 150k miles or more may use somewhat more oil per OCI, such as 1/2 qt per 5k miles is acceptable.

A switch to Maxlife 5W-30 might be an excellent precautionary move in this case.
thumbsup2.gif

I think it is too early to say the car consume oil. maybe oil level is already low when they manufactured.

what I notice is coolant level is on low level too... I guess car manufacturer try to save cost...

Originally Posted By: StevieC

I agree with Stevie too. No car I`ve ever owned has used a single drop of oil,whether it was a newer or old car with a couple hundred thousand miles,never any oil usage whatsoever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back