neighbor vandalized my floodlight, my options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far I think we've established that the only innocent victim here is the poor watering can.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Do you park your cars outside or in the garage? If they're outside watch out, he might key them

Or worse, pee in the cowl.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: BRZED
Looks like your neighbor can make himself a sandwich at 2 am without having to turn on the lights in his kitchen. Consider his energy savings thanks to your generosity.

This is what I suspected and why I asked him to post pictures. I would definitely have a problems with this. And he'd have more than a cracked water jug to worry about, as there are many legal ways to deal with this. The "perp" should just go to homeowners assn.

This is prison yard style lighting.

These are GE 23 watt CFL, 90 watt Par 38 bulbs. They were the lowest CFL bulbs I could find in the store. The bulbs are not aimed at his kitchen windows, there is no reflection. They are aimed at the fence/walkway/gate. Please see the video camera picture of the lighting. I would not consider 90 watt equivalent bulbs prison lighting.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I would not consider 90 watt equivalent bulbs prison lighting.

How many do you have? I don't understand you at all. Is this your first time owning a house? It sure reeks of that to me. You've got a lot to learn about living with others. You might be better off on a large piece of land.

You asked for opinions any I give you an unfiltered one. I could care less whether your are a BITOGer or not. There are just as many crazies here as in the general population. Probably more.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
I would be truly furious if I had that much light aimed at my residence.

However, the actions of both disgruntled parties in this thread represent much of that which is wrong in our society today, and many of the responses in this thread just reinforce that fact.

It will be both amusing and sad to hear what the final resolution of this situation is. I predict this thread will deteriorate as fast as the situation between both these passive aggressive and inconsiderate neighbors.

Just think, in the beginning, 'Hey Neighbor, your lighting pointed at my house all night is really disturbing me and my family, could you re aim those lights and perhaps use a lower wattage Spot instead of Flood bulb, perhaps put them on a motion sensor too?"

Um Ok, sorry, I did not realize I was disturbing you, I'll take care of that, neighbor"

Instead it is " I want what I want and I don't care how it affects others, and I don't care to discuss it either."

This Clusterscrew just escalates with juvenile indignant and unwise actions on both sides.

I seriously doubt he would come up to me like a man and say anything about the floodlight now. He would be admitting that he vandalized my floodlight and trespassed. so the vandalism continued. right now, I'm searching for some kind of vandalism/glare reduction for the lights. I can go this route. I'm not going to use a motion detector floodlight.

I would not consider 90 watt equivalent bulbs prison lighting.

How many do you have? I don't understand you at all. Is this your first time owning a house? It sure reeks of that to me. You've got a lot to learn about living with others. You might be better off on a large piece of land.

You asked for opinions any I give you an unfiltered one. I could care less whether your are a BITOGer or not. There are just as many crazies here as in the general population. Probably more.

These are standard par 38 CFL 90 watt bulbs bought off the shelf at Target. If you are an expert in prison lighting, let me know if they use CFL 90 watt floodlight bulbs. I have floodlights on my home that I use nightly. It made my neighbor so mad to harass and vandalize my home. so I learned my lesson, eh?

Looks like your neighbor can make himself a sandwich at 2 am without having to turn on the lights in his kitchen. Consider his energy savings thanks to your generosity.

This is what I suspected and why I asked him to post pictures. I would definitely have a problems with this. And he'd have more than a cracked water jug to worry about, as there are many legal ways to deal with this. The "perp" should just go to homeowners assn.

These are GE 23 watt CFL, 90 watt Par 38 bulbs. They were the lowest CFL bulbs I could find in the store. The bulbs are not aimed at his kitchen windows, there is no reflection. They are aimed at the fence/walkway/gate. Please see the video camera picture of the lighting. I would not consider 90 watt equivalent bulbs prison lighting.

I bet Santa never misses your or your neighbor's house. Light spills through your neighbor's window so that the wall across the window is brightly lit. That you see no reflection in the window has to do with a reflection requiring the angle of incidence equaling the angle of reflection, which is one specific angle. It is ironic that you refuse to talk to your neighbor because he is big enough a jerk to act as he does. By the same token I am convinced your neighbor never asked you to accommodate his wishes because he felt anybody who blatantly turns a neighbor's home into a brightly lit stage must be an inconsiderate jerk who will not listen to reason. I suggest pistols at 9:00 as the only satisfactory solution.

Cutehumor....you didn't do anything out of line here....the neighbor did.

As for the lighting? He should actually be thankful you installed better lighting. Light is your friend. It will help keep prowlers and would-be thieves away.

As for the neighbor? Well, it's extremely SIMPLE for him to go buy some room darkening shades for the inside of his house. Not expensive either....but who cares what it costs him anyway since he's already shown he's a vandal and damaged your property.

I'd actually welcome my neighbors installing more lighting. MUCH more.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

I'd actually welcome my neighbors installing more lighting. MUCH more.

You could move across the street from a Kenny Rogers Roasters's neon sign for free mood lighting.

I bet Santa never misses your or your neighbor's house. Light spills through your neighbor's window so that the wall across the window is brightly lit. That you see no reflection in the window has to do with a reflection requiring the angle of incidence equaling the angle of reflection, which is one specific angle. It is ironic that you refuse to talk to your neighbor because he is big enough a jerk to act as he does. By the same token I am convinced your neighbor never asked you to accommodate his wishes because he felt anybody who blatantly turns a neighbor's home into a brightly lit stage must be an inconsiderate jerk who will not listen to reason. I suggest pistols at 9:00 as the only satisfactory solution.

I picked the lowest CFL par 38 bulbs at target, which is 90 watts per bulb. I was being very considerate, I did not install BRIGHT WHITE LED PAR 38 bulbs. I showed mercy. I am really a nice guy, but you mess with the bull your gonna get the horns
smirk.gif

The common lack of sense is regrettable. Good luck to all involved parties. May the bulb be with you.

Just because at an outside light, I don't know why it has to have flood light bulbs. Flood lights direct beam, and his window is in the beam range.

Here's the floodlight on the side of my house. It has traditional 60 watt equivalent CFLs, they use 13 watts of electricity each. It is run 24/7 because I don't feel like flipping the switch all the time, and hasn't been turned off in a couple years (except to take this pic). It provides plenty of light to light up the whole side of the house and doesn't beam light in a particular direction. These bulbs are super cheap, pick some up and pop them in and see how it does.

1imnft.jpg

Given that the gate was not even locked before any of this happened, is the need for all-night lighting justified?

Originally Posted By: hpb
Hey, Kiwi, don't go derailing this thread with commonsense...
smile.gif

Like the kind that would include the nutty neighbor just putting up some decent blinds?

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: hpb
Hey, Kiwi, don't go derailing this thread with commonsense...
smile.gif

Like the kind that would include the nutty neighbor just putting up some decent blinds?

If your neighbor starts playing trumpet, will you simply go and buy earplugs?

There are professionals that design security lighting. I was hoping a pro would comment. My last installation was ~42 years ago. So I am not current. That said, "The Prudent Man Rules" probably have not changed:

1. Ground based threats need low level illumination directed at the lowest necessary height. Any flux higher is wasted and can be reflected from surrounding buildings, structures, vegetation, fog, dust, smoke etc back into the apertures of your home. Illuminating you and your family to intruders. All of my security lighting washes the exterior surfaces of our home with just enough illumination to id a threat. No rays shine into the forest. When it comes to the nut cutting, I don't want them to know my location. We are isolated in our wooded property, but our lighting is never on. That will be my little surprise if necessary.

2. After your prudent lights are in place, do an assessment some dark night. Identify and correct any dark exterior walls. This evolution will reveal the inescapable truth that the homes surrounding yours have ideal views to notice intruders.

3. Realizing your neighbors have the best sentry locations for protecting your home and loved ones, the prudent man visits each contiguous property with a small gift and a card with your name, address and phone number. After introductions and small talk, ask them to keep an eye on your place a assure them you will do the same for them.

4. Relax and enjoy your home and family.

IN General:

We visit my son and his wife a couple of times each year. It is a long drive. I know his neighbors, the guy who walks his three legged dog, and a few other folks on his street. On one visit, I found out one neighbor was dealing with his father's impending death. He got a call while we were chatting. While he was gone, I mowed his lawn as I didn't know what else I could do. The neighbors on the other side take care of my son's property when they are gone.

When we lived in California, the neighbors on one side had our house keys and we their's. I helped the neighbor on the other side paint his house and he helped me paint mine. When we sold, we had the house tented for termites and stayed with friends on another street. The paint neighbor clued me that the termite company had tented my house, but had not filled the tent with gas. I contacted the company and although denying they had done anything wrong, they came back with their tent and did apply the gas.

Although we are isolated from our neighbors here, I go to watch a neighbor's son play high school baseball, attend the funerals of those that pass, take care of yard work(with other neighbor help) for those sick, cut down dead trees or storm damage, and generally wave at each other when coming in our out of our hollar.

I remember my dad had 30 acres of first cut hay in square bales when it looked like a thunderstorm was going to get us before we could get even one wagon load into the barn. Soon every pickup driving by stopped and started helping. We had more help than we had wagons and tractors. So they started using their pickups. It was the most amazing thing. But they were our neighbors.

All to say I can't imagine not knowing my neighbors. But I am 67 and perhaps my generation and our ways are dated.

As you can see, 2 13 watt standard CFL bulbs light up the side of my house just fine. Without shooting a beam of light

akyebk.jpg

Originally Posted By: DoiInthanon
There are professionals that design security lighting. I was hoping a pro would comment. My last installation was ~42 years ago. So I am not current. That said, "The Prudent Man Rules" probably have not changed:

1. Ground based threats need low level illumination directed at the lowest necessary height. Any flux higher is wasted and can be reflected from surrounding buildings, structures, vegetation, fog, dust, smoke etc back into the apertures of your home. Illuminating you and your family to intruders. All of my security lighting washes the exterior surfaces of our home with just enough illumination to id a threat. No rays shine into the forest. When it comes to the nut cutting, I don't want them to know my location. We are isolated in our wooded property, but our lighting is never on. That will be my little surprise if necessary.

2. After your prudent lights are in place, do an assessment some dark night. Identify and correct any dark exterior walls. This evolution will reveal the inescapable truth that the homes surrounding yours have ideal views to notice intruders.

3. Realizing your neighbors have the best sentry locations for protecting your home and loved ones, the prudent man visits each contiguous property with a small gift and a card with your name, address and phone number. After introductions and small talk, ask them to keep an eye on your place a assure them you will do the same for them.

4. Relax and enjoy your home and family.

All to say I can't imagine not knowing my neighbors. But I am 67 and perhaps my generation and our ways are dated.

All excellent points- especially number 1. It sure seems places are still lit as you had mentioned. It's too bad the surrounding neighbors have to suffer.

As for knowing your neighbors- no, your ways aren't dated. I'm 36 and know my neighbors as you did yours. Both of them are part time neighbors- on one side we have snow birds and the other, actually lives in another town and vacation often in Florida. The house next to ours (using "next to" loosely) is their home away from home.

I plow their drive in the winter with their tractor on the off chance that they'll be around, then do mine. I also will do the other neighbors drive on occasion so it looks like someone is around. I've even done the next house down the road after a big snow, even though I've never had a chance to meet them. I also keep an eye on their property and have chased some dirt bikers out of their gravel pit once. I'll do odd jobs that they don't want to or can't do- they give us greens from their garden.

The other neighbor has a sodium security light- we don't like it, but they don't want to shut it off... We have Creeping Charlie all over our yard. They spray their yard and aren't too happy that it is coming in from ours, but we don't want chemicals in our yard... And still we speak, we still like each other. Help is always offered stories are shared, and there's always an open invitation to stop over for a drink by both them and us.

This is a very disheartening thread. It is so sad that BOTH parties are being immature little brats, throwing tantrums.

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
So...anybody noticed the OP hasn't been in the thread in a while....ummm....yeah....

Aside from his post 12 hours ago?

Yeah, just noticed I missed that big update..
frown.gif

Guy is breaking stuff now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back