neighbor vandalized my floodlight, my options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The HOA probably is referring to exterior mounted cameras.

Cute should just aim a camera from the interior through a window.
Usually at night in a dark room you won't have any glare issues.

But whatever he does he needs to catch this clown on video and have it ready for law enforcement.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You need permission to put a camera up on YOUR property?

Yep. HOA's can govern EVERY aspect of your life. They tell you what kind've plants you have to landscape your yard with,when/how much/and how you can use *your* water you're paying for. You're not allowed to park in your own driveway in a direction they don't approve of,you're not allowed to work on your car,probably what time you have to go nighty night even. What color paint you have to use. Too many to name them all. Might as well live in an apt complex.

Isn't home ownership about independence? You essentially pay HOA dues every month to have them tell you how to live your life. No HOA for me,EVER,unless I got a KILLER deal that I couldn't pass up.

If it were me,I'd sleep outside in my car with the floodlight shining right in his window,and the second he steps foot on my property,beat the ever-loving life out of him till he's unconscious,handcuff him to something them call the po po to come collect the criminal. If you were in Texas you could use the Castle Doctrine on this nut job. Apparently this jerk off isn't right in the head. I'd never dream of going into someone's yard and tampering with their stuff. If I have a problem with someone,I confront them face to face. And if its something petty that's obviously not aimed at me personally,I don't let it bother me. My attitude is,if they can put up with my racket,I'll put up with their's :^) I always try to be a good neighbor.

If you have an exterior camera it implies to others that it's a high crime neighborhood. This is something the HOA tries to avoid as it could lower property values.

Game cameras are camouflaged, who's gonna know? It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

There are apparently certain areas of the country where it's either cracktown or an HOA, I can't judge every jurisdiction by my own neighborhood values.

I'm very thankful I have good neighbors, two in particular are friends. We look out for one another, and everyone gets along. That can be hard to find in this day and age.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'm very thankful I have good neighbors, two in particular are friends. We look out for one another, and everyone gets along. That can be hard to find in this day and age.

+1. Also having respectful neighbors who do not leave lights on all night polluting the peacefulness of night.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Yep. HOA's can govern EVERY aspect of your life. They tell you what kind've plants you have to landscape your yard with,when/how much/and how you can use *your* water you're paying for. You're not allowed to park in your own driveway in a direction they don't approve of,you're not allowed to work on your car,probably what time you have to go nighty night even. What color paint you have to use. Too many to name them all. Might as well live in an apt complex.

Isn't home ownership about independence? You essentially pay HOA dues every month to have them tell you how to live your life. No HOA for me,EVER,unless I got a KILLER deal that I couldn't pass up.

Why anyone would want to deal with a neighborhood like that is beyond me.

We recently had a news story pop up locally where the HOA was going after someone because they bought a pickup truck ...

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

+1. Also having respectful neighbors who do not leave lights on all night polluting the peacefulness of night.

Actually the block is a bit on the dark side. But you're right, no one wants their bedroom lit up all night long by a poorly aimed spotlight. The good news is if that happened here all the person has to do that is unhappy about the light is ask the offending neighbor to re-position the light. Problem solved.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Why anyone would want to deal with a neighborhood like that is beyond me.

We recently had a news story pop up locally where the HOA was going after someone because they bought a pickup truck ...

Ours isn't quite that bad, but my opinion has soured. Somebody in our development replaced their windows without getting approval first, and the HOA took them to court to have them put the cheaptastic, leaky old windows back in. Never heard the outcome of it, but it seemed too silly for words to demand they put the old windows back in.

HOA's are the result of poor neighbors to begin with. Many neighborhoods would degrade quickly without them. I've lived in neighborhoods that didn't have them...and I prefer those that do.

HOA's aren't hidden. Any prospective homeowner can read the bylaws and decide for themselves BEFORE they purchase...if that type of structure is for them.

It always irks me when dolts get all upset with HOA's when THEY signed the agreed upon contract. It's akin to getting a drivers license then being upset that YOU must obey traffic laws.

Yes...an overly zealous HOA committee and/or president can be a cause for concern. But that is why you get to VOTE them in or out of that position. Or...you can even run for it yourself.

In my opinion the only thing worse than a control freak HOA president....is one that does NOTHING about enforcing the HOA rules.

After all....you pay HOA dues for a reason.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
HOA's are the result of poor neighbors to begin with. Many neighborhoods would degrade quickly without them. I've lived in neighborhoods that didn't have them...and I prefer those that do.

HOA's aren't hidden. Any prospective homeowner can read the bylaws and decide for themselves BEFORE they purchase...if that type of structure is for them.

It always irks me when dolts get all upset with HOA's when THEY signed the agreed upon contract. It's akin to getting a drivers license then being upset that YOU must obey traffic laws.

Yes...an overly zealous HOA committee and/or president can be a cause for concern. But that is why you get to VOTE them in or out of that position. Or...you can even run for it yourself.

In my opinion the only thing worse than a control freak HOA president....is one that does NOTHING about enforcing the HOA rules.

They can be tough. Quick HOA story: when I lived in Colorado, I was in a nice neighborhood with an HOA. One of the HOA rules: no cars parked in driveways overnight (missed that rule in reading through them). So, my three car garage held: Packard, woodworking tools, Mercedes 240D. Out in the driveway: 4 Runner, Volvo 240 Wagon.

I got a letter informing me that I couldn't park the truck (4 Runner) in my driveway. No problem, I thought, and swapped it out for the MB in the garage. Someone complained.

I got another letter informing me that I couldn't park anything in my driveway.

Hmm...doing the math, unless I sold two cars, what was I supposed to do?

So, I called the city. Parking on the street was allowable by city ordinance. Parking on the street was not covered in the HOA rules.

I moved my cars to the street. Impeding traffic, reducing visibility and safety, but now in complete compliance with the HOA rules and city ordinance.

After a week, I called the president of the HOA and asked whether he would prefer the cars be back in the driveway and out of everyone's way, or would he prefer that I continue to leave them in the street.

He told me that I could put them back in the driveway, that was a better solution for all concerned.

I thought so too...

Parking cars outside, washing cars and lawn care is forbidden in my friends housing addition. Her father is actually the president.

He has the coolest garage ever. 3.5 car, (The 1.5 part being a work area with a man cave section.) huge snap on tool box and a giant half naked picture of Marilyn Monroe on the wall. I am not sure if working on your car at home in the garage is forbidden too, but as far as I know, his tools are untouched. I assume the loud banging for breaking something free would make someone "mad." The housing addition has a very large pond too, but walking next to it and fishing from it is forbidden too..

I wouldnt mind living in an addition if I had to, but I would have to be allowed to park outside, work on my stuff and mow to be truly happy there.

A prerequisite for an ideal home for me is I must be able to run around the yard naked and get 100% privacy. Cant really do that in an addition.. even with a fence and those stupid drone/ RC copters flying around.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: andrewg

They can be tough. Quick HOA story: when I lived in Colorado, I was in a nice neighborhood with an HOA. One of the HOA rules: no cars parked in driveways overnight (missed that rule in reading through them). So, my three car garage held: Packard, woodworking tools, Mercedes 240D. Out in the driveway: 4 Runner, Volvo 240 Wagon.

I got a letter informing me that I couldn't park the truck (4 Runner) in my driveway. No problem, I thought, and swapped it out for the MB in the garage. Someone complained.

I got another letter informing me that I couldn't park anything in my driveway.

Hmm...doing the math, unless I sold two cars, what was I supposed to do?

So, I called the city. Parking on the street was allowable by city ordinance. Parking on the street was not covered in the HOA rules.

I moved my cars to the street. Impeding traffic, reducing visibility and safety, but now in complete compliance with the HOA rules and city ordinance.

After a week, I called the president of the HOA and asked whether he would prefer the cars be back in the driveway and out of everyone's way, or would he prefer that I continue to leave them in the street.

He told me that I could put them back in the driveway, that was a better solution for all concerned.

I thought so too...

It's too bad that you didn't read and interpret the rules properly.

In my opinion, you didn't regard the HOA agreement as important as your own personal choices.

When others find loopholes with HOA's such as you did......it only benefits you and not your neighbors. That's not exactly good ethics nor being a respectful neighbor.

I would think that somebody that owned 4 vehicles PLUS needed space for woodworking tools....would have had the foresight to read the HOA much more closely.

I'm surprised.

It would be interesting to find out who is doing this.

Does the homeowner that lives near the OP have any kids? Are there any other kids in the neighborhood? It could be some kid doing this, rather than a VP of some company.

I don't know exactly how the floodlight is pointed, but there is such a thing as light pollution, and motion detector triggered lighting is more effective as a security measure. Sometimes kids congregate around areas with bright lighting.

I just got a message from the HOA property manager. She quoted the light rule about adjacent lighting spilling over property line. Then said if I want her to send a letter to the guy about not messing with my floodlights she will do it.

I already bought no trespassing signs, bought locks for my gate, and I will fix my gate hinges. I can't decide on a wifi outdoor camera their are too many choices. Once I get everything together and installed, I will reaim the floodlight and use lower wattage bulbs.

If he still has a problem, he will have to ring my doorbell again. My wife thinks since he won't be able to go in my backyard, he will start coming. I will prepared with video this time.

It is too bad Andrew....I take it you've never owned a house?

It's also too bad that I followed every other rule of the HOA, including getting approval for planting trees, approval for the colors I wanted to paint my house.

It's also too bad that the houses weren't built with garages that housed what I owned.

It's also too bad that other people were parking in their driveways at the same time I was.

It's also too bad that the cars in the driveway were clean, well-maintained daily drivers.

It's also too bad that the HOA made an unreasonable and unenforceable rule.

It's also too bad that reasonable compromise was reached between adults.

It's also too bad that lawyers didn't make any money on this interaction.

It's just too bad that I am so unreasonable as to have hobbies that require garage space.

It's too bad that I am so undesireable as a neighbor.

I'm certain that everyone was glad to see me and my undesirable family leave.

Last edited:
Astro....lol...get touchy much?

I think this is probably the first time you've EVER directly communicated with me on bitog. What a shame, given the circumstance and tone.

Yes Astro, I've owned real estate before. Four homes actually. How many have you owned? (Spare me the snobbery) Two of those homes had HOA's.

Regardless of all the excuses ("too bads") you've posted, it's all on you. But I think as evidenced by your reaction, you know that.

It matters not ONE BIT if you thought the rules of that HOA (especially the one you skipped reading) were somehow "unreasonable". Maybe...just maybe...if you paid more attention to them BEFORE deciding to live there, you could have found a home more suitable to your needs.

You say a compromise between "adults" was reached? You mean between you and the HOA? That's fine. Especially if the entire community governed under the HOA agreed to it as well. But I doubt it.

You could also have spared me the lines "It's too bad that I am so undesireable as a neighbor" and "I'm certain that everyone was glad to see me and my undesirable family leave". Gosh, that sounds so self righteous.

Anyway, carry on.

Last edited:
There are HOAs like mine where apparently they are free to change the terms you agreed to when you moved in. Ours used to maintain the exterior and the roofs. Now they don't, but we had no say in the matter and they RAISED our dues in addition to doing less. They'll replace the roofs eventually, but they prolong that until they really need replaced and we've had to replace lots of shingles at our expense.

They also decided to add that we are now only allowed to have at most 2 cats, or 1 dog and 1 cat, or 1 dog only. Two dogs are not allowed. Now I could understand they don't want crazy cat ladies with 30 cats in one house, cats roaming around killing birds or getting run over, lots of dogs barking within earshot of other neighbors, or having to deal with multiple dogs doing their business all over the yards, but really? I have 3 cats, the most recent one being a 3-legged all-black rescue cat I adopted. All are strictly indoor cats, they don't bother anyone.

Now, would that be fair if the Gestapo got wind of my third cat and decide to take legal action to have him removed, as they have said in their bylaws? My neighbors know I have 3, and agree they are clean, well-behaved, and well cared for. They didn't even know about that rule, and agree the HOA Nazis seem to be getting a little carried away on that rule. I guess I'm the bad guy because I took in a special needs cat who has thrived in his new home.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
There are HOAs like mine where apparently they are free to change the terms you agreed to when you moved in. Ours used to maintain the exterior and the roofs. Now they don't, but we had no say in the matter and they RAISED our dues in addition to doing less. They'll replace the roofs eventually, but they prolong that until they really need replaced and we've had to replace lots of shingles at our expense.

They also decided to add that we are now only allowed to have at most 2 cats, or 1 dog and 1 cat, or 1 dog only. Two dogs are not allowed. Now I could understand they don't want crazy cat ladies with 30 cats in one house, cats roaming around killing birds or getting run over, lots of dogs barking within earshot of other neighbors, or having to deal with multiple dogs doing their business all over the yards, but really? I have 3 cats, the most recent one being a 3-legged all-black rescue cat I adopted. All are strictly indoor cats, they don't bother anyone.

Now, would that be fair if the Gestapo got wind of my third cat and decide to take legal action to have him removed, as they have said in their bylaws? My neighbors know I have 3, and agree they are clean, well-behaved, and well cared for. They didn't even know about that rule, and agree the HOA Nazis seem to be getting a little carried away on that rule. I guess I'm the bad guy because I took in a special needs cat who has thrived in his new home.

It's an old issue regarding HOA's.

None of us likes to be told what we can and can't do on our property. I get that.

The problem arises when others decide to do things that impact others....and simply feel it is some sort of right to be a lousy neighbor.

Like I've said before...the only thing worse than an overly strict enforced HOA is one that does nothing...yet you still pay dues.

Sounds like your HOA is a poorly managed one. A lot of that can happen as time goes by and the bylaws get amended. It can be tough to deal with.

I would suggest getting with other neighbors that see things your way and then attend the meetings and push for change. It's supposed to be a process where the community has great influence.

You can also run for a seat on the HOA...can you not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back