Need to buy NON Mercon "V", where? Which brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 E4OD's and 2 AOD trannies. I have read somewhere that the mercon v is not suitable even though ford says it is. A few guys have actually roasted their E4OD's using it because the the high amount of anti shudder additive.

Where can I can a non universal, non "v" fluid?

BTW, Ford is a liar, they published bulletins stating NOT to use them universally, then they changed it. I find that a scam.

I've been using the 4 quart Supertech Mercon for $9.97 at Walmart in the Contour.

It also states NOT to use the "V" spec...

Bill

I've never quite understood how any ATF could claim to be Mercon AND Mercon V rated if it doesn't work properly in all Mercon applications, and furthermore why Ford would approve/license such an ATF for both applications.

It doesn't happen anymore now that Ford no longer licenses any Mercon fluids, but it was happening.

Mercon SP and LV are backwards comparable to Mercon V.

I have used Maxlife Dex/Merc in a lot of applications and have nothing but good things to say.

Check out Valvoline's website, it's a good HM full synthetic.
http://www.valvoline.com/products/consum...ission-fluid/37

Exceeds the latest performance requirements of DEXRON®-VI and MERCON LV® fluids
Recommended for use in GM, Ford, Toyota, Hyundai and others where DEXRON®III or MERCON fluid is specified
Suitable for use in:
Ford MERCON®, MERCON®V, MERCON®SP and MERCON®LV applications
GM DEXRON®-II, DEXRON®-III and DEXRON®-VI applications
Nissan/Infiniti Matic D, Matic J, Matic K, and Matic S applications
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III applications
Hyundai/ KIA SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV and SPH-IV applications
Subaru ATF and ATF-HP applications
Toyota/Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS (except hybrids) applications
Honda/Acura ATF-Z1 (except in CVTs) applications
Allison C4 and TES-389 applications
Mercedes Benz NAG1 applications
Volvo passenger car applications and STD 1273.41
Volkswagen TL52162
Voith H55.6335.33(G607) and H55.6335.33(G1363) applications

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
BTW, Ford is a liar, they published bulletins stating NOT to use them universally, then they changed it. I find that a scam.

No, they simply reformulated the recipe and requirements for Mercon-V.

I have 2 E4OD's and 2 AOD trannies. I have read somewhere that the mercon v is not suitable even though ford says it is. A few guys have actually roasted their E4OD's using it because the the high amount of anti shudder additive.
Where can I can a non universal, non "v" fluid?

Those "few guys" had other issues. Definitely not the fluids fault, and most likely an E40D issue!

Use Mercon-V.

BTW, there are plenty of Dex/Merc clones that could've been used. You can find it at your local auto parts and department stores.

And, if you want full synthetic, use:
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atd.aspx
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=50&pcid=9

Guys,

I know napa has everything, but its a no go here in my town, and a darn shame. Our napas are ran by theives. $5.64 per qt I just called.

I want just a plain old mercon / dexron III. No need for a "fits all". And by the way I did read a very trusted website that had an article on the AOD/AOD-E/4R70W and until the 4R70W was designed the older clutches did not like the mercon V. It was mentioned in lots of articles in 2005-2007 that I read.

My local Kragen/O'reily's has valvoline dexronIII/Mercon in a gallon jug for about $13 From what I understand it's just that, plain old Mercon. I've been using it my old Ford trucks (and older GM cars that require dexronIII) and have no complaints so far.

Wow $5.64 quart. Our 5 store group sells it for $2.99 qt. Either they are very "proud" of their parts or the counter person quoted you for Mercon V not std Mercon; Napa oil also makes a Mercon V oil. We get $4.69 a quart for it. I'm sorry but I don't remember the part number for Mercon V.

Dave

Guys,

I know napa has everything, but its a no go here in my town, and a darn shame. Our napas are ran by theives. $5.64 per qt I just called.

I want just a plain old mercon / dexron III. No need for a "fits all". And by the way I did read a very trusted website that had an article on the AOD/AOD-E/4R70W and until the 4R70W was designed the older clutches did not like the mercon V. It was mentioned in lots of articles in 2005-2007 that I read.

Chevron or Havoline MD-3

Ford had some issues with their own (Motorcraft) early Mercon V formulation if I recall correctly - I think they warned in a later TSB about using the Motorcaft Mercon V that came in the black bottle in the AOD and E4OD - the Mercon V in the red bottle was supposed to be ok. Later on Ford started allowing Mercon V for the older automatic transmission and then discontinued licensing of Mercon.
Also, Ford (and Jaguar) had some issues with the early Mercon V (factory fill - might have been the same as the black bottle version) in the 5R55 family of transmission - the fluid attacked some components in the shift solenoids - Ford came out with a fluid that dealers where supposed to add to those transmissions to neutralize the negative effects of the factory fill.
I but would NOT use any old (let's say pre 2005) Mercon V fluid.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Mercon V is what came in, and is recommended for the AOD in our expedition, and it works just fine for the past 67,000 miiles.

Nick:

You have a 4R70W, not the AOD. The AOD is what is in my old Lincoln! LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back