Need more RAM -- Mushkin any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go with Crucial, (www.crucial.com) which is a division of Micron. These guys were part of the development of the DDR2 standard, and make modules which comply with the standards, exactly, and are compatible. I consulted for them on the original DDR memory module standard, and trained their engineers. They've gone on to develop some excellent products and are good friends.

You want memory that is totally compatible with your system. Mushkin is a bit player in the market.

Last edited:
Patriot is also very good...I got a 1 GB stick for my Lenovo laptop, and it works very well...
Crucial, which i got for our desktop, is also top notch...
These 2 brands have a better reputation that Mushkin, imo.

Mushkin used to be a favorite with Mac users. I've not paid attention for the past few years and don't hear or see much about Mushkin any more. I'll take you advice under consideration, guys. Thanks!

I have not heard of Mushkin brand before. My choice has been PNY. PNY was the first computer memory (SIMM memory) I ever bought for my Macintosh Performa way back. I see the PNY memory on sale frequently at Circuit City. Crucial and Patriot memory is a well known brand can't go wrong with any of these.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I prefer Crucial, I'm using Mushkin in a system right now.

They're an established top tier module designer, no worse than Corsair, Kingston or Viking. I would take any of those three over some of the others mentioned above.

Mushkin makes fine memory boards and is often a solid value.

So far you guys wrote about Mushkin:

"bit player"
"....have a better reputation than Mushkin, imo."
"don't hear or see much about Mushkin any more"
"I have not heard of Mushkin brand before"
"Mushkin makes fine memory boards and is often a solid value"
"Mushkin is good stuff"

LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
So far you guys wrote about Mushkin:

"bit player"
"....have a better reputation than Mushkin, imo."
"don't hear or see much about Mushkin any more"
"I have not heard of Mushkin brand before"
"Mushkin makes fine memory boards and is often a solid value"
"Mushkin is good stuff"

LOL.gif

It just goes to show: (1) reasonable minds may differ, and (2) some minds are more reasonable than others.
LOL.gif

So Mori, What brand of memory is installed on your system? I'm not sure of compatibility issues such as timing, voltage, etc would affect what you have now. I guess the only way to make sure it would work, is to use new memory modules for your upgrade.

Mushking Makes Rock solid memory, usually with very low Cas Latencys, which I consider there specialty.

The Black label stuff is usually Cas 2-2-2.

I<3MushkinBlacklabel for performance systems...assuming your computer can utilizes said memorys performance abilties.

Originally Posted By: moribundman

Why would I use old memory modules?

Why not? If the module is good, there's no difference with a used part of the same specs. It's not a wear item like a HDD.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
While I prefer Crucial, I'm using Mushkin in a system right now.

They're an established top tier module designer, no worse than Corsair, Kingston or Viking. I would take any of those three over some of the others mentioned above.

Mushkin makes fine memory boards and is often a solid value.

I second what Volvohead wrote here, in case we're counting votes
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back