Time to build mama a new gaming rig

I can’t speak to self-contradictory statements.
How have I contradicted myself?
Is the i9 14900k a top tier CPU? Yes
Is it "the best" gaming CPU? No
Clearly you can have top tier hardware that may not be the best in its class.

A 3x power efficiency improvement is a big benefit to someone who keeps a system for a long time.
Again, while that claim may sound impressive, it translates to a difference of a few Starbucks coffees a year.

Anyways, we're gong in circles. I have no cat in this fight and at this point I don't think we're adding anything useful to the OP. Peace out 🖖 It was a good discussion though.

Gamer Nexus I think eloquently addresses the crux of the power issue. I think the bottom line is unless you really love intel, get a sizeable discount on the cpu, and/or need quick sync its team amd all the way.

It was team blue when intel had launched core, and amd was struggling with the same problems with amd athlon and phenom and bulldozer

I can’t speak to self-contradictory statements.

A 3x power efficiency improvement is a big benefit to someone who keeps a system for a long time.
In the later tests it was showing 76vs 30w that is 46w, If I gamed for 1000 hours its about 6$ in electricity for the year
My diablo 4 is pulling 410W but the video card is 3/4 of that.
out of the other 100w how much is the processor.. and how much would I have saved with the 7800x3d (that wasnt out when I built)

Certainly nothing wrong with the AMD as an option I love it when they are strong it keeps intel from plodding along at 5% increases per gen.
I've had very mixed to bad experiences with amd video cards dating back from recent to ATI days.
Which is why I went team green with the overpriced 4070ti vs the 7900xt

IF I was building right now the 7800x3d is a great choice.. microcenter sometimes has bonkers deals that might affect my decision.

In the later tests it was showing 76vs 30w that is 46w, If I gamed for 1000 hours its about 6$ in electricity for the year
My diablo 4 is pulling 410W but the video card is 3/4 of that.
out of the other 100w how much is the processor.. and how much would I have saved with the 7800x3d (that wasnt out when I built)

Certainly nothing wrong with the AMD as an option I love it when they are strong it keeps intel from plodding along at 5% increases per gen.
I've had very mixed to bad experiences with amd video cards dating back from recent to ATI days.
Which is why I went team green with the overpriced 4070ti vs the 7900xt

IF I was building right now the 7800x3d is a great choice.. microcenter sometimes has bonkers deals that might affect my decision.
It is closer to $20-60/yr.

Could you list your math.
That would be 6000+ hours of gaming here.

I will update with real numbers pulled from my PC later.
Running diablo 4 with graphics near maxxed.
120-144HZ@4k
cpu is i7-13700k
CPU is using about 60w.(sometimes lower) Total system is around 410w at the power supply
1707358961315.jpg

While I am doubtful the amd could do the same thing with 20w.
that would be 25hours of gaming for 1kwh
1kwh here is 14.5-16cents (call it 15.5)

1000 hours of diablo 4 gaming would be $6.20 difference.

If I was somehow artificially making my cpu run 100% obviously it would be more. I'll check a few more games tomorrow.
maybe farcry 6 and Red dead redemption 2.

semi-idle power total system power as measured by the power supply is 144.
If I cared I could definitely trim it down the 7 RGB Fans and motherboard lighting etc.
Go with more efficient non-overclock settings etc.
1707359687775.jpg

Typical Diablo 4 load forgive the crappy pic and dust it needs a blow out.
1707359817878.jpg

Last edited:
To be frank, usually people who buy these high end CPUs aren't worried about power efficiency when the GPU is taking over 400w.

Efficiency becomes more of a rounding error for some.
The questions i think you need to ask is

1) What games do you play, and are they optimized better for intel or amd?
2) Do you plan to overclock the cpu or need the thermal headroom, as a more energy efficient architecture will provide you better performance at the limit.

Most high end stuff is not "worth it" when it comes to performance per dollar.
But an i9 makes sense if you want a top GPU and top performance for 4k gaming. There is very little reason to skimp on the CPU when the GPU alone cost over $1K.

I get the logic of spending top $ on everything.

To me it doesn't make sense if there is no tangible benefit. I don't think you would notice the difference between i7 and i9 at 4k.

i7 K variant is not skimping, its being smart. If you went down to an i5 it is skimping.

You could argue that at some point it will become CPU limited, but at that point your setup is outdated, doesn't matter if you initially went with i7 or i9.

Just my two cents.

Back