Time to build mama a new gaming rig

Here we are, early 2024 and mama's i9 9900KF/2080 4K gaming rig is about 3-4 years old. Truth be told, I want her old rig for myself, as my computer is an i7 2700 and is (I think) 12 years old.

I'm an Intel/Nvidia fan, so sticking with that. Maybe an

i9-14900KF​

4080 or better video card. I don't want to spend more than about $1400 on a video card.

How about some component suggestions? MB, memory, video cards, SSD's etc?

Sorry for the double tap. I hit send twice after thinking the first one didn't send.

Last edited:
the i7-13700k/14700k wont be noticeably different for almost all workloads.

4080 super will be $999 in a few weeks.(feb 1 2024?)

SSD get 2TB nvme gen 4 drive for your game drive.. and a 1tb or 2tb nvme gen 4 for your system drive.

Ram just pick off the QVL list for the motherboard.

you have a microcenter near you?

I like ASUS for motherboards.

IF you have microcenter.. I'd grab this bundle

Intel® Core™ i7-13700K

ASUS Z790-P Prime WiFi MB

32GB DDR5

3-in-1 Combo

$549

Last edited:
She's currently filled up both 2TB Samsung M.2 drives (970's) and put some of her games on an old school spinning drive. I think she needs at least 2ea 4TB M.2 drives. The PCIe 5.0 drives are stupidly fast, but seems some are kamikaze drives, wearing out quickly for the speed.

I'd recommend:

• i7-14700k (the extra power, in my opinion is not worth the extra $170.)
  • ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Wifi II (~$500). If you're not going to overclock, you can stick with the ASUS TUF lines.
  • For RAM, whichever DDR5 tickles your fancy. GSkill, Corsair, and Crucial are my to-go as far and my current setup has 2x32GB of Corsair DDR5-5200
  • As far as SSDs go, I've had the best luck with Crucial, Samsung, and WD, in that order. I took a leap of faith on a Seagate Firecuda and it's been good so far. A 2TB WD SN850X is $140 on Newegg.
    • She can also include a 4TB SATA SSD for more space. They're not as fast in raw performance as a NVMe drive but they're still fast enough to not tell the differences between the two interfaces.
  • Video card brand, I've had good experiences with ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte. However, aircooled 4080s make a 2080 look small. Make sure your case is long enough for an air cooled 4080 since the heatsinks take 3 extra expansion slots. You can also opt for a 4080 with a factory watercooler like Gigabyte has.

IF you have microcenter.. I'd grab this bundle

Intel® Core™ i7-13700K

ASUS Z790-P Prime WiFi MB

32GB DDR5

3-in-1 Combo

$549

I like this bundle alot.

Also, expect the 4080 to spike up to 400w power draw by itself. It may not do that all the time but I'd search for a 1000w PSU with a dedicated 12vhpwr connection to be safe.

Last edited:
She's currently filled up both 2TB Samsung M.2 drives (970's) and put some of her games on an old school spinning drive. I think she needs at least 2ea 4TB M.2 drives. The PCIe 5.0 drives are stupidly fast, but seems some are kamikaze drives, wearing out quickly for the speed.
how often does she play all the games. I have 189 games in my steam folder but only 15 or so installed at any one time.
4TB is still not too bad 8TB is way overpriced.

MY mobo has 4 nvme slots.
GEN 4x4 is fine 7-8GB/sec (not gbit)
Gen 5 is for ps5 and has huge price increase.

you should just build 2, or upgrade the old one with that 549 combo for yourself. ;)

Where is the best place to get a good price on a 4080 or 4090 video card?
There are tons of scams going on since the GPUs you’re looking at, are very expensive. Brick and mortar stores would be my first choice, but they may not even have them.

If you’re going to buy through Amazon or Newegg, watch the sold by and shipped by names. Only buy from a brand name seller. If the GPU is Asus, make sure it’s sold by Asus and shipped by either them or Amazon.

Here we are, early 2024 and mama's i9 9900KF/2080 4K gaming rig is about 3-4 years old. Truth be told, I want her old rig for myself, as my computer is an i7 2700 and is (I think) 12 years old.

I'm an Intel/Nvidia fan, so sticking with that. Maybe an

i9-14900KF​

4080 or better video card. I don't want to spend more than about $1400 on a video card.

How about some component suggestions? MB, memory, video cards, SSD's etc?
I'd also make sure it has plenty of cooling if you plan on running it hard.

Back