Remote access to iMac

Donald

Permission to share your screen (meaning they control it) is done iMac to iMac on an individual case. You invite the other person to take over your screen. Or you can ask them if you can take over their screen, both are possible.

Easiest way to make this happen Is to start a Message conversation (texting) with a person on the other iMac. On that text conversation screen in the upper right corner is an i in a circle in a box. click on the i and the persons name you are texting will appear and in the center, below the name will be an icon for share (it should be blue if sharing is enabled on both iMacs) ) click on the blue share icon and two options will show.
A. Invite to share my screen
B. Ask to share screen.

You will want to Ask to share the screen for the other iMac which will generate an allow "person name" to share my screen? request on the other iMac. The other iMac grants sharing permission and then the requesting iMac gets to take over the other iMac.

It seems complicated to describe but it takes seconds to do. My son and I do it all the time. He lives 30 miles away.

Maybe we need to take this offline if this explanation doesn't work.

So if it helps the iMac whose screen will be shared is setup in Unifi networking to always get the same static IP address. Screen Sharing is turned on.

And there will be many times where there is no one at church where the iMac is and someone at home going through a VPN wants to share the screen.

I can try connecting before church using another production iMac.

I am not a Mac guy, just helping others. I only have a work iPhone.

I will also have time during the sermon to try screen sharing. It's 28 minutes. 😁

So I have made some progress here. I can can only try some of this at church during rehearsal as they frown on me messing with stuff during the sermon.

The one whose screen to be shared I set to All Users for Screen Sharing rather than selecting a few individual users. And I could do screen sharing from another iMac a few feet away. Now to go back and setup a few select users to test. Are these the Apple ID of the users? Maybe a computer name of the iMacs I want to allow?

Back